48+ Co-Anglers needed for Stren Shasta tournament

zeke

48+ Co-Anglers needed for Stren Shasta tournament

Post by zeke »

Just got off the phone with Robert at FLW. As of right now, they are 48 co-anglers short for the Stren Series Western opener at Lake Shasta. There are more than 48 slots available but they need 48 co-anglers just to confirm the Pro' that have presigned.

CO_ANGLER'S
JUST DO IT!
YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!
Ricky-S

Re: 48+ Co-Anglers needed for Stren Shasta tournament

Post by Ricky-S »

Did they say how many boats they have?
MN

Post by MN »

That suck's but i am in a catch 22.I would love to enter this but living in Salinas it is just to damn far for me to travel for just a couple day's of fishing.
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Why do you think there is such low interest?

Is it the cost?

The distance?

The time of year?

Or...?
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Nozmo King

Post by Nozmo King »

I’d love to fish this one, but I’m not independently wealthy & I don’t have unlimited vacation time. Which means that taking at least four days of vacation & spending a minimum of $700– that’s entry, transportation, lodging, food, & gas money for the pro – is tough.

Also, with the FLW Series & BASS Elite in the West this year, there are too many options & too few anglers. Hope I’m proven wrong, though.
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I think its the Justin Timberlake concert in sacramento that weekend....i mean thats why im not going

hahahaha
Monsterfishingtackle.com
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Well I posted in the last thread that I can't afford it for all the same reasons. I don't know anyone that has 4 weeks vacation saved up. I'd really like to go, maybe I should start playing the Lotto again. Or better yet, maybe an understanding employer out there will step up and hire me. They should understand this great need and cover all my costs for myself and family :roll: .
Oh yea, if you're going to dream, might as well make it a good one.

I'll bet a lot of folks are also disappointed in the way they structured things this year as well.

Good luck to all those that can make it.
I had to come back...I know...
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

LOL... if anyone would like to fish this tourney, but help an Am out, I'd like to sign up. Kinda scared about the entry fee though... This time of year, no workie.
bassinjoe44

Post by bassinjoe44 »

I think a lot of it has to do with new rules about payouts.A lot of my friends wanna fish it but they don`t own newer rangers,which means they would only win $5000 instead of $25,000.You have to own a ranger 2001 or newer to win a boat,I think this is keeping a lot of non-boaters from signing up.Just my 2 cents
Wolfeman

You Can Say That Again.

Post by Wolfeman »

:lol:
- Wolfeman (just couldn't resist)
Have a good day everyone and be thankful for what you have.
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Barry

I encourage People...

Post by Barry »

to fish these outstanding tournaments. However here is my view:
1. I don't have 8 weeks of vacation so I can't fish both the Stren and the National guard. I suspect most anglers are in this same boat.

2. These 2 fine series are drawing from the same angler pool. A choice had to be made.

3. I will not be shut out at Havasu again! :oops: So move the schedule or figure I am not fishing Havasu in January. Hence, the NG series was out! :cry:

4. FLW, Bring back the BFL to the west so WE can introduce new anglers to FLW Outdoors and the Best one day Pro/Am circuit going!!! :? This is how you get guys interested in the bigger shows.

5. I am signed up for all 4 Strens. Looking forward to Shasta. :D

Good luck to all.......Barry
Ricky-S

Re: I encourage People...

Post by Ricky-S »

First place on the Co anglers side has always been $5,000. We have to be careful how we present info. That has not changed.

Here is what changed: As in the past, if you are a reg Ranger owner you may have won a bonus of a Ranger "Hull" (no motor).

This year you have to own a 2000 or newer ranger in order to win this "bonus". In the past, all you had to be was a owner of a ranger.

$5000 for 1st is still better than any other payout for a nonboater.
gcopple

Post by gcopple »

yeah it is better than any payout, but also more expensive. i think they get us co-anglers but hey, i love them so much i will be at all 4. i got a nice 13 hr. drive to shasta from blythe, but i'll be there. i just wish i owned a ranger.
George Copple
flipthatjig

Post by flipthatjig »

ill be at shasta... i also own a ranger if i didnt i wouldnt fish this event. altho the payout is better than most pro/am. for non ranger owners this is a 4 day tourny while most pro/ams are 2 days. this means u have to get a good draw and be ur fish all 4 days. with a field of 200 guys ur fishing against. thats makes it even harder to win. payin 325,room,gas, lure, ect for 5k isnt worth it unless u own a 2001 or newer ranger.

see ya out there.

just my .02
Last edited by flipthatjig on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Ruthman

Post by Brian Ruthman »

I imagine you will not win $5000.00 unless there is a full field of 200 boats is this correct ?
How did it work last year when they didnt have a full field at every event ?
How will they pay out if say 100 co-anglers sign up , you get half of the amount down to 60th place ?
If it is as hard as everyone says to win and catch fish out of the back of the boat , seems to me the Co-Angler should get as much if not more recognition as the Pro , maybe that is why the support is lacking on the C0-Angler side you feel like a second class citizen even if you win , everyone needs to be treated with respect no matter what end of the boat they are fishing from. :)
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

I'm not sure what type of respect you're looking for but FLW offers far more media opportunities and cash for co-anglers than anybody.

Here what you get:
Four events with a 1/3 payback that beats everybody else
A national mag
A chance to win the Evenrude Co angler of the year (it has been a fully rigged boat)
A national championship viewed on Fox
Free shirts and hats to the top ten
Pictures and name on a national website

My team partner traveled as my non-boater two years ago and he won the Lake Mead event on the co-angler side and placed second at the Delta that year. He received an entire story (a full page) in the local newspaper in Vegas and in his city for winning that event.

What other organization can offer that type of media coverage for a co-angler?

Not to mention the fact that he cashed a check in every tournament and won over $10,000 from the back of the boat.
Brian Ruthman

Post by Brian Ruthman »

The respect im looking for is we are all anglers and should respect each other no matter what skill level we are at or how much we paid to enter an event , To many people $325.00 is a big investment not counting the time off from work lodging , etc.
Flw is encouraging Co-Anglers to pre fish, if so then the only difference is 500 extra to run the boat and pic out the fishing locations, after all we are only in it for the competition not the money...... right LOL .
I just want to catch some fish, have some fish netted , net some fish for the guy in front , have fun and maybe bring home some money, meet some nice Pro's along the way maybe make a friend or two have no problems .
My being there is not a competition with the guy on the front deck it is with the fish and the other C0-Anglers that is the way it should be . It is really funny the mental side of fishing , some people are defeated before they ever get to the lake . :)
BOGOSIAN

Post by BOGOSIAN »

I would like to chime in on this subject. The first thing is all events are going to have some kind of down side and not everyone is wired to put large or small amounts of money into a purse to try and win. I have had to cut back due to my new baby and can say right know my son is more important than a fishing tournament. I will still fish the local events but nothing more until my buget can afford it.
P.S.
The FLW people have gone out of their way to give the west coast a shot at the big time, if you can swing the dollars and time off it is the best game in town.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Sounds like you have your priorities straight! it goes fast, mine are 18 and 26 and are in the thick of college. A family is not for everyone but I believe you will be very happy going in the direction you have chose.

Reguarding making money as a co-angler, I would have to say that we should re-define really what being a co-angler is about. I think that there is a lot of confusion and many high expectations from co-anglers. If you look at it like a math problem it quickly becomes apparent what works and what does not work. Example; little or no practice= missing key cut making or winning fish hook-up from lack of time on the water for the given period. By the time the adjustment is corrected it could be too late. lack of confidence in the boater = less concentration. Reality is that 10-15 % of the field are actually on a potential winning pattern for that given tournament. Weather factors that compromise the bite even if the boater was on potential fish. Mental/physical breakdown from various reasons causing an angler to have a bad day.

What I am trying to say is even if everything goes semi correct you may not cash a check at all. So people might say "why fish it then"? This is the heart of the topic and what needs to be reconsidered. The value of fishing the Stren series is much more than cashing a check. In my opinion what the first place prize is should not really matter. Only 1 angler out of 200 can win. Having said that I would suggest a different perspective on fishing these events. I believe if people can enjoy the experience and learning potential it would more than pay for the associated costs. I agree that this is a SUPER expensive sport and I have no fixes for that other than it is an individual choice if a person can afford to do this or not. Having the expectation of covering the cost or even coming close is a pipe dream. Therefore I would suggest enjoying the experience, the friends met and the chance to be doing something we all love. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Rich hamilton

Re: p.s.

Post by Rich hamilton »

I called FLW today and they are working on the co-angler situation. it was refreshing to talk to a professional person who was shocked and suprised when I explained about how some west coast organizations handle angler/co-angler pairings and sign-ups. I truely believe they are trying to do the best they can for us their customers. I have tried to let the "baggage train" go down the tracks from the past about leaving guys on the bank and looking for your own co-angler etc. I am sure their are plenty of horror stories out there to go along with mine. I respected the position of "were working on it" and did not press them for details, my gut feeling is that the right thing will be done. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
hardcase

Post by hardcase »

Okay, I will ask the question, if I have the money and the time, and look at this as a learning experience how will the "pro" respond to this. I could enjoy just watching and learning. I have only fished in 2 very small time tournaments, so the learning curve for me is limited, my tackle is not all state of the art, and limited. Is this something I should attempt or wait until I have more experience, but how does one get experience with out trying???/ Give me your thoughts please !!

Post by Guest »

Ok - I've laid off this subject for a while now.

I am truly a fan of the FLW... I am dying to find a sponsor so that I can fish the FLW Series this year. Just can't seem to find the right person in the right company to get it done, yet!

Anyway - here is my .02

1. Isn't Ranger big enough and don't they sell enough boats that they shouldn't have to force people to buy them. Honestly, they are trying to corner the anglers into buying a Ranger. They should stand on their outstanding product, not on the tournament dreams of the anglers.

> I have a suggestion for how to handle this. More on that later.

2. Ricky, honestly. The best payouts for Co-Anglers. $350 x 200 boats. I am sure any of the other orgs running events would be paying back more than $5000 for a turnout and an entry fee like that. (Just an FYI - for an extra $50 for a total of $400 - you can come fish the AC Pro Ams as a Pro and fish for a boat! --- National Magazine and National Website.. Hell, international website too!)

3. Having the FLW and the Stren events both, kindof stacked on top of each other saturates the angler pool. How many guys can go from Shasta to Havasu 2 weeks later? With 8 events they could have had 1 every 2 months or close to it. (January Shasta -stren-, March Havasu-flw-, Late April Mead -stren-, Early June Clear Lake -flw-, Late July Clear Lake Again - stren, Early Sept -Columbia River -flw-, Mid Ocotober Delta -flw-, Late November Delta -Stren-.) Something like that would work better for everyones schedules I would imagine. Mix and match the lakes however you see fit.

With that said - I still think its a huge opportunity for guys to give it a shot to go to the next level.

My suggestion for bringing Ranger owners a "Bonus" or whatever they want to call it. I call it a sales tool.. (a good one too) is as follows.

Allow Ranger owners to signup a week before the rest of the world . That they already did. Now give them a $3000 entry fee.. and the rest of the world pays $3750. This way, if you have a Ranger it pays no matter what. Get rid of the payback bonus altogether. This way, once you are in.. you are all fishing for the same prize package. Much more fair and its a lot less forceful to anglers. Also, this first owner thing only hurts their prostaff... the pool of potential buyers for a staff boat is definitely thinned by this rule!

Just my .02.. Like I mentioned.. Ranger's are great boats and the FLW is a fantastic opportunity for us western anglers. Now if I could just find a sponsor so I can make Ricky and Jimmy a lot wealthier!
Ricky-S

Great Post Tom

Post by Ricky-S »

My post wasn't intended to knock your work with AC. There is no doubt that you all have THE best mag in the business.

With that said, FLW has the type of media opportunities that are unmatched by any other tournament organization.
I can go back and check the winner of every event that they have ever had. Their web based products for up to date tournament info is great.

I have seen from personal expereinces what they can to for a pro or coangler. For a coangler to get a full spread in a Vegas newspaper is saying a lot about media relations. Or, maybe there wasn't a lot going on in Vegas that day :lol:

Hey, when you find that company let them know you have another guy who needs the hook up-JK :lol:

Good luck and I'll see you on the water.
gcopple

Re: Great Post Tom

Post by gcopple »

tom i agree with you. and i also love flw and what they are doing for the west. could you also put a good word in with your sponsor for me?
George Copple
JT-Madera

Post by JT-Madera »

Hardcase;

Let me try and answer your question..I believe that a person with limited experience is in a better position to gain from fishing the FLW as a Co-Angler than say someone like me with twentyfour years of tournaments. I have drawn a lot of beginners as my AM and the nice thing abut fishing with them is that they have no agenda...They just want to learn...The best draw partner I ever had was at Clearlake, it was his first tournament ever...The only rods he had were trout rods with 4lb test line...and a cheap telephone pole he bought at WallyWorld... I gave him two of my rods prerigged with my bait of choice..Throughout the day I taught him where and how to cast..I told him that he would catch the limit and I would catch the kicker... Well you all know what happened, he kicked my butt...Because he had NO preconceived ideas... I did manage to put an 8lber in the boat as our kicker...'whew' I was worried there...

Now if someone drew me as their Co-angler, there is going to be a problem from the beginning...not from me, but in the Pro's head.. Even with my health issue's the guy is going to worry all day about what I think of the , what, how and where he is fishing.. So even though I have as much right to fish as a Co-Angler as anyone else, it wouldn't be fair to any Pro's I would draw... I wouldn't want to draw me at Shasta... Because I would definitely do a backseat trick on the Pro if he made me mad.. :lol: :lol: That's why I won't do that again, it just isn't fair to the Pro.. Several of the Pro's I drew last year told me after the tournament that they were more concerned about beating me than beating the fish... That took them completely out of their gameplan and screwed both of us...

Hardcase and anyone else, if you can afford the tournaments, jump in and enjoy the ride...It will be a blast and you can learn from whoever you draw...You are going to draw three different Pro's who are working their butt's off to put fish in the boat...With entry fee and expenses it will figure out to be about 200.00 a day..But thats really a deal.. I would pay 200.00 a day to fish with guys like BDO, Cooch, Fokstead, Ricky-S and maybe 100.00 to fish with Reese, :lol: for a day on their best water on any of the lakes the circuit goes to this year...not that any of them would let me in their boats, they would proably ask for a redraw :lol: :lol:

This circuit isn't just for young up and coming sticks either...you old guys should get up off your warm butts and go have some fun..life is too short....

JT-Madera
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Well JT,
I agree with most of what you wrote in your post. I have fished enough tournaments over the years that I have drawn both pro-non boaters and am-non-boaters. In all honesty all I care to know is if the guy is going to work with me or if he is going to try to compete against me. It has happened in both cases.

In either case, my primary focus is on the fish. Period. If a guy draws me in a during where I know that I am fishing for five bites (like Mead or Havasu) they will see a completely different person verses drawing me on the Delta, Clear Lake, Shasta, or Oroville where I know there are fish everywhere.

In a lot of cases I am so focused on fishing during a tournament that I don’t loosen up until I have a limit in the boat. I would agree that a new guy may be more open to suggestions verses someone who is set in their ways.

I have had the honor of drawing Jimmy Reese and Aaron Martins (among others) during pro on pro events (back when I was getting started), so there aren’t very many non-boaters that would compare to drawing another pro for a day. I think that was the benefit of fishing the old Redmans and BASS Opens when they were pro on pro. It taught you how to deal with the mind games and possibility of drawing someone who had better or similar fishing skills as you. It also taught you greater respect for your partners for the day.
NaCl

There are two sides to every coin....

Post by NaCl »

I think the FLW sanctioned events are the best thing to hit the west coast in many years. I hope the anglers support them so that I can participate next year. Can't this year as I'm stll recovering from a little medical setback.

That said, I would NOT recommend for you to fish these events on the nonboater side. You might get lucky and draw a pro who will take an interest in your success. He might offer you advice and might even hand you some "special" baits. But, these events are not shared weight. The pro has NO investment in your success. Many will not pay any attention to you as they concentrate on their own fishing...a few will even see you as a threat to get "lucky" on "their" water, catching a kicker fish that the pro needed.

In the west, you have a super alternative to the FWL format. Its called "shared weight" Pro-Ams. Anglers Choice runs a Pro-Am circuit in which the pro and am are working together to put weight in the boat. The pro has a strong incentive to help you succeed. The most successful bass fishermen west of the Mississippi is Gary Dobyns. He's won over a million dollars and much of that came from the "shared weight" format. His greatest secret to his success is his ability to help his am's catch quality fish. He's won boats on the strength of the kicker fish caught by his ams....ams that HE put on those fish.

So, if I was just getting started, I would fish as a nonboater in shared weight Pro-Ams. After several years of experience, you can step up to the non-shared weight format and you'll continue to learn just from watching the guy on the pointy end of the boat. But, when you're just getting started, you don't even know what to watch for. That's where having the pro invested in YOUR success makes a big difference.

The other nice thing about the regional shared weight Pro-Ams is they tend to cost less than the big FLW events.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

.....NaCl

ps You'll learn a lot more initially (and at way less cost) if you spend a few years fishing in a good club and participating in inexpensive events like the Federation tournaments.
Ricky-S

Re: There are two sides to every coin....

Post by Ricky-S »

Well, I have to respectfully offer another view of things. I’ll be the first to admit I am and will never be a Gary Dobyns. I am merely a want-a-be pro.

Here is my take on your post. I think there are several types of non-boater (co-anglers, AAA or what ever you want to call them). I’ll use myself and several other non-boaters that have traveled with me as an example. If you are new to tournament fishing but you have fishing skills you will tend to do much better in the non-shared weight format. My first year in college I fished WON Bass, West Coast Bass and Angler’s Choice as a non-boater. Back then AC was non-shared weight and the other two were combined weight.

It was my first year in Northern California (in 1994) and I knew nothing about any of the lakes, but I had fished for bass my entire life. I cashed a check in every one of the AC and in none of the combined weight tournaments. I qualified for the AC championship and didn’t even come close in the other two. The same goes for my team partner who traveled as my non-boater two years ago. He fished a shared weight trail and the Everstart. Like me, he cashed a check in every Everstart, won one and made the championship. He never cashed a check in the combined weight events.

Did we get back seated in the non-shared weight events, YES. Did it matter, NO. You have to roll with the punches and no that you are fishing against the other non-boaters.

Here is my point, because I do agree that if your skills are not up to par, then the shared weight or a bass club events are a better choice. However, if you have the proper skills and know how to catch fish, the non-shared weight events “mayâ€
NaCl

We don't disagree....

Post by NaCl »

If a non-boater has basic knowledge and a foundation from which to observe, I think a nonboater can actually learn more from an FLW style non-shared weight tournament than from a shared weight event. Why? Decision making! Tournaments are usually won by anglers who make the best decisions...when to change baits, when to speed up or slow down, when to move, when to change depths. But, a neophyte angler will not have the basic knowledge from which to benefit from watching the boater.

hardcase said, "...I have only fished in 2 very small time tournaments, so the learning curve for me is limited, my tackle is not all state of the art, and limited..." Sounds to me like he's a good candidate for the very basic levels of training. That means clubs, low cost tournaments and shared weight Pro-Ams. Its stupid to spend $500 on a backseat in a Stren event when you could have fished four team events, including several days of prefish time, with a skilled team partner for the same money.

But I repeat, if a nonboater already has good basic fishing technique and equipment, then he's probably looking for knowledge or confidence that will allow him to step up to a higher level of competition. His real need is to learn on-the-water decision making skills. Those are best learned by studying a pro's adjustments throughout a tournament day. That pro is concentrating on one thing...winning. The nonboater will see the guy's best water, best adjustments, best baits, best techniques and if the nonboater has good observational skills, he'll learn tons. If not, he'll just end up being another whiner, complaining about how his pro "backseated" him.

.....NaCl
Smitty_dennis

Post by Smitty_dennis »

I fished all four of the Stren Series last year and went to Alabama. I even caught two fish at Havasu. Anyway! I cashed a check in two of the events, but I'm still re-cuperating from the cost for the trip to Alabama.

I'm not fishing the FLW this year because of number of reason, I think pro's or co-angler have some of the same issues:

#1 Cost
#2 Vacation days it takes to fish these events
#3 Time it took away from my family

Basically my personal priorities won't allow me.

FLW, Chris and crew run a top notch tournament. They treat every angler the same; pro or co-angler. Once you get on the water, those that experienced shared weight events, will be able to tell the difference. However, you can most of the time overcome that obstacle. Even being backseated. One of my experiences really fustrated me, but I still caught fish. Being backseated is a possibility, but it has not happen to me very often and I have met and fished with some great people.

I hope they fill up the field it was a great experience!!!
Jim Conlow Sr.

Great advice Dean I agree 100%

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

But I hope enough non boaters sign up with FLW to keep them coming back in the future
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
Jim Conlow Sr.

I think that you and Dean are both right

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

But if you read the post that Dean was answering you will see that perhaps that Man is not quite ready to face the back seat negligence that he is likely to get.
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
Jim Conlow Sr.

JT the example you gave appears to be shared weight

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Thats why Dean and I recommended for hardcase as a tart out tournament format.
If you and the young guy with the trout rods were fishing for your own fish I suspect the way you fished would have been considerably different. And even if you would have done the same things in a nonshared weight tournament how many other pros do you think would have done the same thing?
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
Marc

Clarification

Post by Marc »

Jim, I would really like to know what that means...I think. :P Somehow any sentence with you, NaCl, and tarts in it sounds curious... :twisted: [/quote]
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Marc

Clarification

Post by Marc »

Jim, I would really like to know what that means...I think. :P Somehow any sentence with you, NaCl, and tarts in it sounds curious... :twisted: [/quote]
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
hardcase

Re: JT the example you gave appears to be shared weight

Post by hardcase »

PLease explain your answer, I do not understand "tart". I can catch fish, I have basic skills, I am looking to expand the knowledge base that I have into something that is better. I am not concerned with getting treated poorly or winning, mostly in learning the decisions that need to be made and how to read different situations that are presented on the water.
By the way, thanks for all the input, this is GREAT STUFF!!!!!
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
NaCl

"Tart"??? The only "tart" I knew was in

Post by NaCl »

high school. All the guys wanted to date her. Me too. When I finally got my turn, I discovered the poor girl had been labeled by a spurned ex-boyfriend and she wasn't nearly the "tart" that I'd hoped for. So, I gave up and went fishing. At least bass have the decency to live up to their reputations! Har Har!

.....NaCl
Jim Conlow Sr.

Im sorry Hardcase it was a typo. supposed to be "START&

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Much funnier though as tart

At EVERY OPPORTUNITY THOUGH DEAN WILL POUR SALT IN YOUR WOMB, OOPS i MEAN WOUNDS
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com