Questions on rod quality for certain techniques

Elmhurst Bassman

Questions on rod quality for certain techniques

Post by Elmhurst Bassman »

I have a question in regards to the quality of rods one would use fishing for bass, specifically in regards to certain techniques. I use quality rods (loomis, lamiglas, kistler) for applications where sensitivity seems to make a difference (i.e-dropshot, finesse fishing, flippin', pitchin', c-rig). Do you feel it is as neccesary to apply this principal for applications like rippin, blades, buzzbaits, topwater, crankin, frog fishing, and swimbaits. What would be some possible ramifications if one was to use rods in the $60-$100 range?(Shimano Clarus, bass pro xps)
I don't want to give up too much in regards to quality but it seems like when a fish hits on these reaction techniques you will be fine if you have a good reel and a rod with the right backbone and tip. (I use curado baitcasters and sahara spinning reels.)
Also, any recommendations for specific rods in this range are also appreciated. I would like to get more rod/ reel combos for certain applications but I don't think my better half will go for 5 new Kistlers at once , let alone G-loomis.
Thanks in advance.
Mark Langner

Re: Questions on rod quality for certain techniques

Post by Mark Langner »

A few things to consider from my perspective.....I want a good quality blank with proper butt-mid-tip characteristics...and to some extent you get what you pay for. Reel seats come into play, and don't forget the number of guides on a rod...to an extent the more guides the better both for casting distance and how you fight the fish. Next, consider that while jerk baits, crank baits, and spinnerbaits (to name a few) are reaction in nature, many times I want to feel my lure ticking the grass, or coming off wood/rock...often with jerk baits I'm feeling the fish hit on a pause or determining a bump against an object verses a subtle take by a fish...so, I don't think it's money wasted to get the best rod you can afford for such applications. Do you need the MOST expensive (loomis for example)...maybe not...but their middle grade certainly makes a big difference (other brands have this good-better-best price range). I happend to be a huge St Croix fan at the moment. Oh, one last commment...there's more to a swimbait rod than just being big....checkout the Shimano Crucial series of swimbait rods...really nice for the money.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Questions on rod quality for certain techniques

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

A rod is nothing more than a tool..Can you repair your car with a tool kit from the flea market, of course you can..Although it might just be easier to do so with higher quality tools..Less tool breakage and nut and bolt stripping..

I don't own a GLoomis or any of the more expensive rods..Do I still catch fish, count on it, although I probably miss more than I set the hook on because of the sensitivity issue..I buy the best I can afford on my fixed income and live with their short comings..

mac
Urban

Youve got it figured out

Post by Urban »

I dont think you are hurting yourself by purchasing cheaper gear for techniques such as swimbaiting, spinnerbaits, topwater, etc. Sure, its nice having the nice gear, but I dont think it matters when fishing certain techniques.

For example, when I crank, throw spinnerbaits, and throw some topwater, I use a BPS Crankin Stick (currently $49 but go on sale frequently for $29 or $39) coupled with a standard AbuGarcia. The rod is perfect for these techniques, has the right action, and has enough sensitivity. Now for Frogs, why do you need anythng other than a pool cue? And for swimbaits, just make sure its got the right backbone and the right tip for ease of casting. There are plenty of qulaity swimbaits rods out there for under $100.

So, IMO, the answer is no. For some techniques, I do not think you are costing yourself fish by buying lower end gear.

PS: I cant afford the best gear, so I wait until BPS has a sale on their combos. I just bought an extreme rod 7' MH with a Curado for $139. I bought the balance system for another $9.99. For the money you cant beat this combo. The sale is happening right now, so you better hurry while supplies last.
Jeremyb

simple

Post by Jeremyb »

It's all about confidence. If you think the rod hinders your pressentation it probably does, not because of the rigs short comings, but mentaly you are beating yourself up. I know tourny fishermen that swear by Rhino rods, fits their budget and they catch fish. I'm a little more picky with my rigs; Loomis, St. Croix, Lamiglass,Fenwick, Team Daiwa, but I don't own a rod that I don't beleive in.
elmhurst bassman

Thanks for the input fellas! *NM*

Post by elmhurst bassman »

M. Allen

Redington Rods

Post by M. Allen »

I've found my experiences to be similar but when it comes to a swimbait rod I want to be able to feel what is taking place. At times it is important to have sensitivity even in a swimbait stick. I personally swear by Redington rods, (www.redington.com) They're fairly new on the bass market but have been doing very well in the fly fishing market for a while. Check them out, for the price, ($80-100ish) they really can't be beaten and they're USA. I've been using their rods for cranks, blades, rips, swimbaits, flippin, etc.. for about a year and just love the rods.