slow or fast

frankc

slow or fast

Post by frankc »

hey all, i am kind of new to swimbaits, i have been useing paddle tails for stripers and i am still waiting for my first fish on them, are there certain ones you use for stripers and do you reel fast with a pause or do you let it hit botttom and then pull up and then let it fall or what is a good way to do it ? thanks.......................
Ceaser

Re: slow or fast

Post by Ceaser »

Straight steady retrieve when there shallow and if they get a little depper (8ft+) try rippin it up off the bottom and letting it fall on slack line. Those two retrieves have always worked good for me.. also try putting your swimmers on a scrounger head.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
offduty

Post by offduty »

I think it depends on what you are trying to appeal to the sense of sight or the lateral line. Most of my bites have come on a varied retrieve such as multiple twitches and then a burn. They seem to love to hit it when they think it is gonna get away if they dont hit it quick in open water. If I am fishing structure I may just slow roll but I think a varied retrieve gets their attention more due to being noisier. I think the twitches get their attention when fishing on top and then when you start to burn it they seem to clobber it.

Rich
Rich
SethB

Post by SethB »

I'm no striper fisherman but seems to me if you can find the fish. A white 5" big hammer on a 1/2 oz. head would do the trick.
should probably look into something like a lunker punker aswell.
Both baits are proven striper killers. Just remember there is no magic bait.
Take a kid fishing