Spinning reels with dual drags

Moderators: MKA, Mike M, Caudawg, ash

dennis84
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby dennis84 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:52 pm

When i was looking for spinning reel, it comes in front/rear drag and dual drags. What’s the diifference between them? Are they used for any specific species/baits?
Alright so i mainly use top waters, spoons and sometimes hooks with bait. Which one should i buy?

kopper_bass
Moderator
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 7:27 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby kopper_bass » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:57 am

Dennis,
most spinning reels have a top drag; this is most common snd the most effective drag system. some smaller reels have created a lower or bottom drag, for ease of use and convenience. i dont find these reels to be as effective or good when it comes to the drag system, but they surely work.

as far as i know, the only spin reels today with dual drag are for fishing with live bait. this allows for a light drag while the bait is soaking, and when the fish takes that initial hit and run on the line. once you go to set the hook, you then engage the actual real drag and fight the fish. i use these for saltwater fishing; where live bait fishing is common.

their is also a reel or two with a "fighitng drag" system that allows for quick fine tune adjustment while fighitng a fish. its typically a paddle to push left or right, around the main drag. these again are usually on a bottom drag system. i guess they figure pushing a lever is easier than turning the knob.

For your basic fishing application, a top drag system is the way to go. simple, easy to use, and easy to maintain.

Hope that helps,
Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!

User avatar
ash
SpeedBump
Posts: 4123
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 9:07 am
Location: Beep Beep!

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby ash » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Kopper broke it down pretty good. For most Bass Fishing a front drag is the norm. Heck i noticed my newest Stradic Ci4 doesn't allow for back reeling just everything off of the front drag.

Some good value spinning reels out there are the Shimano Sahara 2500 or as I mentioned a great reel is the Stradic Ci4. But you dont need any dual drags or rear drags, just one good smooth drag. :D

dennis84
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby dennis84 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:55 pm

kopper_bass wrote:Dennis,
most spinning reels have a top drag; this is most common snd the most effective drag system. some smaller reels have created a lower or bottom drag, for ease of use and convenience. i dont find these reels to be as effective or good when it comes to the drag system, but they surely work.

as far as i know, the only spin reels today with dual drag are for fishing with live bait. this allows for a light drag while the bait is soaking, and when the fish takes that initial hit and run on the line. once you go to set the hook, you then engage the actual real drag and fight the fish. i use these for saltwater fishing; where live bait fishing is common.

their is also a reel or two with a "fighitng drag" system that allows for quick fine tune adjustment while fighitng a fish. its typically a paddle to push left or right, around the main drag. these again are usually on a bottom drag system. i guess they figure pushing a lever is easier than turning the knob.

For your basic fishing application, a top drag system is the way to go. simple, easy to use, and easy to maintain.

Hope that helps,
Kopper_Bass


Thank you very much for replying in details. I do bass fishing mostly, so the front drag reel is enough for me.
Would like to have a dual drags reel when i have a chance to do saltwater fishing. :D

dennis84
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby dennis84 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 pm

ash wrote:Kopper broke it down pretty good. For most Bass Fishing a front drag is the norm. Heck i noticed my newest Stradic Ci4 doesn't allow for back reeling just everything off of the front drag.

Some good value spinning reels out there are the Shimano Sahara 2500 or as I mentioned a great reel is the Stradic Ci4. But you dont need any dual drags or rear drags, just one good smooth drag. :D


Shimano Sahara seems to be perfect for me, affordable and have good reviews. Stradic Ci4 is awesome, but it's beyond my budget. Thanks for the recommendation.

User avatar
ash
SpeedBump
Posts: 4123
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 9:07 am
Location: Beep Beep!

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby ash » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

I have both the Sahara does great, decent drag and tolerances; but once you save up that budget for your first stradic -wooo son you'll see the light :shock: and youll want more and more and more - I know I do!

User avatar
Marc
Posts: 969
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Contact:

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby Marc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Dennis,
You already received great answers, but I will add to what was said.
On a spinning reel a front drag is the most reliable and strongest system. Rear drag spinning reels are more prone to failure and are not common as a result. The best solution in my opinion is a quality front drag, set firm enough to set the hook without breaking, but then use the back-reeling technique to play the bass.
I have an article with video (link below) demonstrating this back-reeling technique in the current issue of Westernbass.com magazine (I hope will be of use). http://www.westernbass.com/shared/mag_w ... index.html
Dual drags such as a lever drag system are excellent for saltwater and big fish, especially with live bait and large line capacities.

Ciao, Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.PacificBoatland.com
www.ArmyBassAnglers.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.YakimaBait.com
www.SnagProof.com

User avatar
ash
SpeedBump
Posts: 4123
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 9:07 am
Location: Beep Beep!

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby ash » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 am

Marc,

I found it odd that my new Stradic CI4 doesnt have back reel feature built into it. I taught myself how to back reel when I used to fish ultra light 4lbtst for bass - great big fun and an excellent skill to have when you connect with a big one. My guess is that not enough guys are proficient or know how to use it or if they are all thumbs like me they accidently hit the switch and birds nest HAR! :lol:

User avatar
Marc
Posts: 969
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Contact:

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby Marc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:50 pm

ash, wasn't aware they eliminated the anti-reverse; that is a big mistake. I use the same reel in a two year old version as you can see in the video in my article. I was disappointed then that they relocated the anti-reverse lever to under the reel body, and made it hard to quickly change, but practiced until I was able to operate it without looking.

Yea, back-reeling is huge for landing big fish with light line.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.PacificBoatland.com
www.ArmyBassAnglers.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.YakimaBait.com
www.SnagProof.com

dennis84
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby dennis84 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Marc wrote:Dennis,
You already received great answers, but I will add to what was said.
On a spinning reel a front drag is the most reliable and strongest system. Rear drag spinning reels are more prone to failure and are not common as a result. The best solution in my opinion is a quality front drag, set firm enough to set the hook without breaking, but then use the back-reeling technique to play the bass.
I have an article with video (link below) demonstrating this back-reeling technique in the current issue of Westernbass.com magazine (I hope will be of use). http://www.westernbass.com/shared/mag_w ... index.html
Dual drags such as a lever drag system are excellent for saltwater and big fish, especially with live bait and large line capacities.

Ciao, Marc


Thank you very much for the info.

User avatar
Velisi33
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:10 am

Re: Spinning reels with dual drags

Postby Velisi33 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:06 am

Recently I found the review with the most popular spinning reels with a built-in electronic line counter. As soon as I find this resource, I'll write you a link.
If I'm too tired https://nudebase.com/


Return to “Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Lugnut, tsengds, wgallaher and 36 guests