striper network

SLoGiN

striper network

Post by SLoGiN »

I've been thinking about starting a delta striper network. I may be a freek but i consider stripers as pets...I release every striper i catch as long as they can survive...im not interested in giving up current information to people who keep fish....im looking for people that release all stripers to trade information via phone...or email....i spend as much time as anyone on the water except you guides out there....im a field inspector working out of union city and i do most of my work on weekends so i can fish as much as possible....ive been fishing the bay, delta and everywhere else for 45 years....i guess im just seeing if theres any interest in this....i dont mind starting and coordinating it....if not ill continue submitting vauge reports and doing what im doing....email me at hltcal@comcast.net if you are interested....looking for guys that pound the water like me and practice 100% catch and release....im not sure theres many like me but im curious if there are....if its a bad idea ill just fade back into the background...lol
MikeL.

Re: striper network

Post by MikeL. »

I kill every striper.

Not all bodies of water are the same.

Lake Pyramid and Castaic have a population that is out of control. LMB,SMB,crappie are really suffering. The size of the striper are stunted due to competition of the limited bait also
striperwannab

Post by striperwannab »

Mike,

Do you make sushi out of it or do you eat it like....peanut butter & striper?

WannaB
MikeL.

Post by MikeL. »

WannaB

Mostly give em away and if nobody wants em I throw them in the trash :roll:
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

Not all bodies of water are the same
Very insightful, but the OP is talking about the delta. Thanks for sharing your stance though...... :roll:

Anyway, interesting idea. Keep me posted if anything develops. This would probably be useful and gain more interest right before fall.......
SLoGiN

Post by SLoGiN »

yeah ive been thinking about this a couple years and ive got some positive feedback...its more about keeping good information from the poachers out there than anything else...plus im thinking about getting it going before the spring run too...in a very short time ive gotten specific information noone would post anywhere online...im looking for a small group that will give me reports everytime they fish that will become available to everyone within the network....hltcal@comcast.net
briansII

Post by briansII »

MikeL. wrote:I kill every striper.

Lake Pyramid and Castaic have a population that is out of control. LMB,SMB,crappie are really suffering. The size of the striper are stunted due to competition of the limited bait also
I assume you only take 2 a day, all over 18". :roll:

briansII
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

briansII wrote:

briansII
Several lakes that are part of the aquaduct or water conveyence system (Guvinator Term) are stuft with Striped Bass and have a 10 fish limit. Pyramid (the one off I-5) is loaded and the fish are stunted due to lack of forage food.

The SJ River system used to be a huge striper spawning habitat prior to the pumping operatioins. Fish still try to spawn in the area, but the free floating eggs obviously get sucked south.....

With regards to the "network", I like the idea, personally. It's obvious that SLoGiN has a lot to offer (leverage)..... Unfortunately, so much information is gleened from various BB Fish Forums by unscrupulous fisherman/poachers.... I've actually been out fishing or just walking along the waterways and overhear people actually recite internet reports and the internet name of the reporter while trying to an actual "x" marks the spot manuever.

So, how do you form a 'network' who are not "takers" or "opportunists"? IMO, if I were starting a 'network' and had leverage, I would make it a requirement that partcipants would have to fork over some $$$ annually to California Sportfishing Protection Alliance or some other Sport Angler Coalition that is busy fighting the good fight on our behalf.

My suggestion might seem harsh, but I find it absolutely incredulous at how passive or even ignorant some anglers are about the daily attacks on our fisheries by greedy water districts/exporters, LA Metro Water, and their paid for politicians, etc.

Lastly, I used to have a so-called 'network' in the 90's and early 2000's. Even if I wasn't fishing, I knew somebody that was each day. Then I started to take the beforementioned hard line stance and quit sharing info so openly.... My phone quit ringing.... It became pretty clear to me who were sportfisherman interested in the long term health and welfare of our fisheries vs. who were just takers.....

I truly hope your network works and it becomes rewarding.
SLoGiN

Post by SLoGiN »

good response kwik....im going to leave money out of it and rely on my ability to read people in developing this network....so far in 2 days 2 people have joined and i trust them 100%....im going to keep it simple and i hope for 8-12 good people....basically ill get detailed info from them thats available to the rest of the network....looking for hardcore striper fishermen who release all stripers unless they cant survive.....in my experience ive only had to kill 3 fish in the last 2 years....2 inhaled spoons and 1 inhaled a spook....they werent wasted...see ive taken guys fishing that talk about catch and release but it seems they mean catch and release until they catch one...guys say "i release everything"...then they catch one and want to keep it....my friends wants some fish or i hardly ever keep them so ill keep this one....i let them do what they want....they just never get on my boat again...and theres no doubt the poachers read online reports....i dont mind giving a totally general report like got some topwater fish on some flats on the san joaquin but ill save my details for people in the network...i want guys that pound the water like i do to have a way to have a good idea where the fish are throughout the system....they can contact me and have all the current info ive heard from the other members.

One more thing...i have no problem with guys keeping a few fish...i do have a problem with people killing 20 plus lbers and ive seen at least 50 reports of fish over 30 that are kept this fall run...to me thats just insane...its their right to do it but i dont want to help anyone that does it...i choose to release em all and people that do that are who i want to network with...its like this...if youre a hardcore fisherman that releases the fish he catches you should contact me because you will have detailed information that will get you on fish with less guesswork....but dont waste your time if you think you can fool me....lol....i also love to fish for bass....especially smallmouths and theres no way i would ever say where im catching them in an open forum but id gladly share my info to people i trust...ill just see where this network thing goes....so far ive got 2 guys that are just what i was looking for
MikeL.

Post by MikeL. »

briansII wrote:

briansII
Actually no,

10 fish with no size limit down here :roll:

They should remove all take limits in these lakes on a year to year basis, IMHO.

Forgive me if I'm on the other side in this whole "lets manage the fishery better than mother nature" arguement
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

MikeL. wrote:
briansII wrote:

briansII
Actually no,

They should remove all take limits in these lakes on a year to year basis, IMHO.

Forgive me if I'm on the other side in this whole "lets manage the fishery better than mother nature" arguement
I hear ya loud and clear..... There is a discernable 'disconnect' between the striped bass fishery in our SF Bay and Delta vs. what gets shipped down the 'duct, etc. However, I surmise that the striped bass population in lakes like Pyramid are going to be cyclical similar to Lake Powell.... As forage food declines, so will the striped bass. As forage food rebounds, so will the striped bass... As long as the water keeps getting pumped south, so will the eggs and fry.
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

Call me crazy, but I don't get why you feel the need to post your viewpoint on the striper's impact in lakes when this thread is clearly about delta striper information sharing. Do you feel that the sporting approach the original poster takes with preserving the striper population here is somehow hurting your fishery? Or are you just trying to stir the pot?
SLoGiN

Post by SLoGiN »

kwikfish is super sharp....and explained it perfect...stripers being broadcast spawners they find themselves in places they arent wanted down south...ive got a solution....stop sending water down there....make california 2 states and let southern cal find water somewhere else...our water quality would be way better and the whole delta and bay system would be super healthy....dreaming thats all
striperwannab

Post by striperwannab »

SloGin,

Though I would support splitting the state in two, it will NEVER happen. TOO MUCH MONEY DOWN SOUTH, TOO MUCH MONEY BROTHER! Politics at its best!

WannB.

PS> I want to try one of Mike's Peanut Butter Striper sandwiches! Is that with Creamy or Nutty PB Mike?
SLoGiN

Post by SLoGiN »

i was joking of course. theres no chance of any politician doing the right thing..we are going to end up fishing for white sea bass in rio vista instead of stripers and surf perch off red bluff....anyway its 5 am...im off to a small flooded island to hopefully battle a couple topwater fish
briansII

Post by briansII »

MikeL. wrote:
briansII wrote:

briansII
Actually no,

Yeah, I replied without knowing the regs down there. Sorry about that. The "I kill every striper" comment, overpowered my good senses. I've seen a lot of that where it's not legal, and I just wasn't thinking when I replied. :oops:

briansII
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

There are some BIG Fricking changes being made to the Delta - that are getting swept in really fast thru some beaucracy special interest pork belly type of political BS with an "Enviromental Restoration" type of "Toe Tag" deal for the Salmon going on now with the Conway Ranch in the Yolo - WITH THE DEAL TRYING TO BE PUSHED THRU BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR ........ Isin't it Christmas time ~~ and everyone is on vacation right now .. especially in the country clerks/recorders offices ? :lol:

Cliffnotes : The plan being floated is that the Fremont Weir which floods the Yolo Causeway would be notched at 17.5 feet versus the current 33.5 feet it currently takes in river flow to spill. The result will be that the Causeway will flood 95% of the time in the winter with higher water levels and stay flooded through the spring offering the young salmon another route and area to feed on on their way out. In this "deal" And "They" will again be selling alot more water !!

Start these atricles for the "general overview".

~~> http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/18/326676 ... rough.html

~~> http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/22/327491 ... hases.html

Also I believe that Cal-Fed soon will be in the mix up as well -- EVEN with the state budget as it is -- That is going to start construction soon to break the Ironhouse levee/Emmerson Levee once they get thier funding settled.... And more than likelyit will be granted from the new Federal budget passed thru congress yesterday to raise our National Debt. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We will never see white sea bass in the delta ...... But the possibility of Halibuts in Sherman are a strong canidate once the flounders spill the beans to them.

Currently - The biggest problem with the Delta is that we still have no Shad population - and it is taking along time for them to recover. That IMHO is why were are seeing such a long turnaround of the bigger LM weights as well.

As far as the networking goes - Ask me and I will tell you what I know in general for myself. But I love to fish to figure it out on my own. Same for hunting Phesants for many years on a 5,000 acre island to where I could get them with my dog into the Butterfly net - and even water swat them on the SJ River. :lol: Same for me learning the deer/bears in an area of D-5 where no one really hunted, Same for learning how to scout new areas in a 10' zodiac alone for abalone and spearfishing where no one else would go all alone, same for playing Billards/reading a table at first glance and finishing it or playing stupid when no one ever knew I was hustling them and could play ambidextrious with out them even noticing. ect... I do it for my own personal enjoyment of Learning something on my own that I am truly passionate about and better than that - Just being out in the Outdoors to enjoy it all.

Hell - lately my funnest duck hunts this year have been coming home with passing on Chit ducks and never shouldering on anything edible.

It all takes time and self learning for your biggest personal reward. Image This last year was hard . VERY hard in getting on a real pattern for the linesiders. As much as I burned my own petrol/oil/maint and only got a biggest one of #16-#17 this year ... I really enjoed this year all year long once again. :D

The delta is always changing - and is forever going to keep changing. Is it ever going to change for the better ? Hell No ! That to me sounds like the biggest reason to keep politically involved, supporter of proponents, taking my family and friends out "today" ... Before it has changed for them when they wish to enjoy it...... Then atleast they will have some basic tools to learn to work off of for themselves for their own enjoyment.

Love you Slogin and Everyone else that LOVES these fish !!

Cheers,
Dan
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Todd Dunlap

Post by Todd Dunlap »

Merry Christmas Dan,Kris,Luke and Jack!Love you,Guy's!!!!!!! :D
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

Delta Dan,

Thanks for writing about the Conway Ranch deal.... I have been following this and was aware, but was reluctant to post here as some get upset over such posts that are non-fishing/catching related...

As an aside, not only is the delta changing with each passing day (Water exporters and their kin work each day) but the definition and description of a sportfisherman in northern california needs to change right along..... NorCal sportfisherman have to better activist to fight for this legacy to continue...

We are already seeing the results of generations lost to sportfishing here in NorCal that now have very little to absolutely no interest whatsoever.... Combine this with the influx of "techies" the past 10-20 years in the SF Bay Area and the Northern Californian Sportfisherman is just about insignificant when compared to the overall demographics. (Proof is that there is no interest in having an ISE Show in the Bay Area)

I had hoped that fishing forums in general would not only create greater awareness of better fishing prospects and enlarge participation, but also get more people involved with their time, voice, letter writing, and money.... I just have not seen the correlation over the past 10 years these BBs have been up and running.

Developers, Water Districts/exporters, LA Metro Water, et. al. are pulling fast ones and the death of the delta by the proverbial "thousands of cuts" continues. It's a smart strategy because the only time the greater poplulation of NorCal cares is when the word "canal" arises..... hence, the new term "water conveyance system" or as you say, hide the real agenda behind so-call environmental projects, restoration, coalition for a sustainable delta, and divert blame to striped bass, etc.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Todd Dunlap wrote:Merry Christmas Dan,Kris,Luke and Jack!Love you,Guy's!!!!!!! :D

Merry Christmas BrothA Todd and SistaH Mona ! ImageImage

YOU ROCK ~! Image
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

kwikfish wrote: Thanks for writing about the Conway Ranch deal.... I have been following this and was aware, but was reluctant to post here as some get upset over such posts that are non-fishing/catching related...

How can it Not be "Fishing/Catching" related ! ........ This will in a really great part split the whole food chain for the Stripers to a totally different feeding source - where the turn around - aka - "Turnover" Will become alot quicker for the fall run on the faster dropping water temps alone.

With the bypassing of the Delta ~ for cleaner "SoCal water" that is direly needed to continue to flush out the pestasides of the inland easterly farms for irrigation and water removal - It will become a pestacide dumping ground where no bait fish will really ever thrive. As bad as the pumps are ... IMO taking them now out of the loop can possibly dammage the Inland Delta even more that it currently is. Image

Also when they do create a "natural wetland/watershed" in Dutch Sl. They are going to break the Emmerson land first for the "Test Run" as you can call it. Now the BIGGEST problem with it being put into service ... is the SELENIUM that is in the soil ! There is no way they can process it out other than tidal movement. And if they were a process plant/refinery/wastewater treatment plat that put into the water possibly 1/1000th of what is in there ... The Federal EPA would shut that process plant/refinery/wastewater treatment plant down PERMANTLY ,..... Fine them up the Wazoo ! - and throw alot of people into prison to be cell mates with Bernie Madoff ~ FOR LIFE !! :shock:

...And yet the Govt. can clearly get away with this ? Hell - Look at all the new reg's for Sacramento that the waste water treatment plants now have to conform to ..... and Look who is paying the cost for this required upgrade ~ "The Customer" by threefold on their water/sewage bills !!

If they did not push this Delta Bypass through ..... Do you believe that Sacramento would have to build this new state of the art processing plant? :?

I think not. And that is the shame of it all - They already have/currently are/and forever will be changing the Delta for not only the fisheries - But it's farmland and sustinece for agraculture and everyone that lives around it.

Flat out crazy !!

That is the biggest reason why I fish way out west now. To "re-learn" in learning something totally new to me. It is more dangerous for a boater out there than anything inland for navigation. The tide's/temp/water salinity/bait presentations/feeding patterns are way different than what I learned and knew for a long long time from the interior of the Delta.

And lastly - If these Salmon Smolting Grouds come into fruition - as fast as it may come into being .... I can see in the very near future the State lifting all currents regulations towards eradication of the Stripers in the Delta/Bay as already in the lakes already to help protect the Salmon. I have been buying a Bay/Delta Striped Bass stamp every year from '84 till they stopped it what ..... 4-5 years back now ? Govt at it's finest even undermining the CA DFG and Sportsmen. :cry:

Sorry if I made another long winded post ..... I just hope that some of my points are comming through to what I honestly believe in.

Dan

kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

No need for apologies.... we need to read and learn of what you write on a daily basis.....

Overall, it's gross as to just how far people will go to screw others just to pursue their "american dream".

The Lloyd Carter 'paper' is very good, but can be long for some..... Therefore, the write up below looks at the Resnicks, etc.

http://www.earthisland.org/journal/inde ... of_excess/

Below is the letter to Congressman Garamendi..... although I feel that he'll get politically persuaded by his fellow party members to back off.... Also, I doubt the SEC has time to investigate being that they are too busy dealing with all the screwups the past couple of years along with the upcoming various State bond defaults that seem imminent....

http://www.fotr.org/comments/GaramendiL ... gation.pdf
SLoGiN

Post by SLoGiN »

fished a small flooded island near connection slough bridge with the intials lmi for an 8lber...a huge 25 plus swing and a miss....she swung n missed by 5-6 inches and never came back and one other smaller blowup....water is finally stained on the san joaquin side ....water 53 degrees....bring on the spring....yeah as stupid as it seems to send the form emails to politicians it actually works sometimes regarding fisheries proposals....i belong to coastside and those guys lobby up in sacramento....and i send off every form email im sent....its probably just holding off whats going to happen ....it makes me ill....seeing whats happening but i still try to grind out a few fish...arnold is like the worst thing ever at the wrong time for out bay/delta system
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Nice Fishing Slogin !! I am more concrentated on the LM's now that I have "had" schooled with time on the water - Before the Delta ABA pulled out the hat trick on me with the carpet under my feet as well last Saturday......... I'll leave it at that. :cry:

More Importantly ---

Does anyone in here know how much a Judge/Court Recorder/County Cleark and a Deed of Trust cost before the end of the year durring the Holiday Break .... :?:

....And more importantly ....what it "took" on the side/ under table to move a 3-2 vote to a 4-1 vote in JUST two days ? :shock:

Cheers to Jim Provenza for standing up against the sweeping under the carpet ! But more importantly I REALLY wish to know were the CA DFG is in all of this ?

Is their some of their "Science" in the States and 3ard parties run Biology Studies to "prove" this as a means towards the betterment of our Salmon ? What is their planned action of recourse for our Striped Bass as well .... Just where is the CA DFG's stance at all in this MoJo that someone desperately wants to close this deal out on before the first of the new year :?:

.......... Or is this just "another" ~ water Sail by the State ?

~~> http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/23/v-prin ... untys.html

Yolo supervisor challenges county's Conaway Ranch approvalhsangree@sacbee.com
Published Thursday, Dec. 23, 2010

A member of the Yolo County Board of Supervisors on Wednesday challenged the board's approval last week of an agreement with Sacramento developer Angelo K. Tsakopoulos regarding his intended purchase of the 17,300-acre Conaway Ranch.

Supervisor Jim Provenza, a Davis attorney, said in a memo to county officials that the action may have violated the state's open-meeting law because the public had less than 24 hours to consider the agreement before the vote.

"I'm suggesting we reschedule the hearing, rescind our prior actions and take a new vote," Provenza told The Bee. "I don't believe our notice and agendas were in compliance with the Brown Act. The public did not have adequate notice that the contract was being voted on."

County Counsel Robyn Drivon insisted Wednesday that there was no violation. The meeting was properly noticed, she said.

The agreement – which smoothed the way for Tsakopoulos to sell water to Southern California and to transfer land to the state for habitat – was approved 3-2 Friday – less than a day after it became public Thursday afternoon.

Residents and two supervisors complained they hadn't had time to review it. Provenza and Supervisor Duane Chamberlain, who represents much of rural Yolo, voted against the deal.

Farmers and conservationists hadn't weighed in, and many weren't even aware of the vote Friday, they said.

After researching the matter, Provenza put his concerns in writing to County Administrator Patrick Blacklock.

"I believe that our actions on December 17, 2010 may be voidable due to a failure to comply with the notice and agenda requirements of California's Ralph M. Brown Act and may also constitute a violation of the people's right of access under Section 3 of Article 1 of the California Constitution," Provenza wrote.

The item was originally noticed for the board's Dec. 14 meeting as a "public hearing and update regarding Woodland-Davis Clean Water Agency, Conaway Ranch and related matters," but did not indicate there would be a vote, Provenza said.

It was continued to a special meeting in the early afternoon of Dec. 17, but the updated agenda and supporting materials weren't delivered to board members until 4:47 p.m. the day before, violating a 24-hour notice requirement, Provenza wrote.

The cities of Davis and Woodland approved separate agreements Tuesday to buy water from Tsakopoulos that aren't affected by Provenza's claim.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.