The Great Debate..................

Cooch

The Great Debate..................

Post by Cooch »

Who IS, the greatest Angler of ALL time? In light of the ongoing selection process and debate at BASS, what's your opinion on this? Let's keep it to the top 3 and why. Here's mine.

Roland Martin - Is there any doubt who's number 1 if you go soley based on Competative fishing? 19 BASS wins, 25 Classics fished, 92 Top 10 finishes. and 9, count em NINE BASS AOY titles. The only angler to take 3 AOY in consecutive years. All this, over 5 decades! The only CON on this man's resume, No Classic victories. It ain't over, till it's over. And anyone with the balls ta introduce us to the Hellicopter Lure, and git us ta buy millions of em, is Numero Uno on my list! HAR!

Bill Dance - Very well rounded angler. His tournament career was short, 1968-1980. In that time a total of 23 National Bass titles, of which 11 were BASS wins(7 over a two year span, 69' & 70'!), 8 Classics, 3 AOY titles, he's in 3 Fishing Hall of Fames, has written 7 books, aired a TV show since 1968, and has touched the hearts and shared more fishing info to more individual anglers than anyone on the planet. One can only imagine if he'd continued tournament fishing, what his stats would look like. But most of all, ya gotta love that Orange Tennessee hat, Go Vols! HAR!

Al Linder - This guy, truly goes unoticed due to his lack of tournament exposure. If you've ever read one of his books, or seen one of his In-Fisherman shows, you'll know why I have him on my top three list. Steve Price says, "I put Al right up there with Dance, almost." Don Wirth chimes in with, "Al Linder is probably the best fisherman I've ever been associated with, in that he can catch any kind of bass, plus anything else that swims!" Al Linder is the most technically brilliant minded fisherman on the planet. Ya gotta love this down ta earth guy from the nort, it's just fishin EH?

NEXT!
Tony Stoltz

Hard to debate that list Cooch...

Post by Tony Stoltz »

Can't argue with that list Bruddah. Only change on my list is that Al Lindner would rank first. He can flat out catch anything with fins and put together the most impressive group of people that still today carry on In-Fisherman TV, magazine and radio. Al is as down to earth a guy as you'll ever meet and his is still out there accomplishing great things. He also got out of competitive fishing early and I'm sure he hasn't looked back since. One of my favorite videos is 'A Day in the Boat' from the In-Fisherman Video Series, and available in the WesternBass.Com Video Rental Library, where you got to spend a day with Al just going through what he does during the course of a day fishing.

Al Lindner is my personal hero and the guy that got me hooked on fishing. I'd like to think that we emulate him in some way with what we are doing here on this website.

sTony

PS - Three personal honorable mentions coming strictly from the world of bass fishing; Larry Nixon - another of my all time favorites, Denny Brauer and believe it or not, Dee Thomas. Dee has effected the way in which we all fish with ladmark innovations that go way beyond just the act of flipping. Thumb bars on reels, flipping decks on boats are also courtesy of this man's innovative mind and it never ceases to amaze me that at his age and with his health concerns the man is still a threat in any event he enters. Plus he's only one of the most likable gentle men I've ever met and you don't hear enough about that side of this man with a great heart and an even bigger competitive drive.
Hippie/Mark

Re: If Al Linder had not stopped....

Post by Hippie/Mark »

Tounament fishing I believe he would have gone down as the all time greatest. He was kicking booty against the good ole boys back then for a year or three.

Ok my Top Three:

1) Roland Martin, for all the reasons Cooch mentioned. The stats do not lie!!

2) Rick Clunn, based soley on winning the big one more times than anyone else. The man does it when the pressure is on, Mr. consistency

3) A Tie!! Gary Klein & Al Linder, Gary for being so consistent over the past twenty five years and Al because the man can catch any species anywhere at anytime!!

Next,

Hipster

Hipster
Tony Stoltz

One More...

Post by Tony Stoltz »

Some how you'd have to squeeze this guy into your top three to my mind and that is Tom Mann.

sTony
Steve H

Re: The Great Debate..................

Post by Steve H »

Wow, Great Debate. Overall fishin', Al Lindner, hands down. He's done more in the persuit of fishin' knowledge than anyone on the planet and made an industry of passin' it along. Also a super-great human being "from the Lakes of Minnesota". He also developed the "Lindy Rig" which has gone a long way in changing Walleye fishin'.

On the Bass side: Clunn or Roland. Probably Clunn for keeping us in "the zone" and making us keenly aware of the mental side of this sport. That would be a good one-two punch for the overall choices, physical and mental.
Delta64

Post by Delta64 »

What criteria is being used to determine the "greatest"? Popularity? T.V. shows of a dude fishing stocked ponds for the past 30 yrs?
Tournament wins? Which category acounts for what percentage?

> Wow, Great Debate. Overall fishin', Al
> Lindner, hands down. He's done more in the
> persuit of fishin' knowledge than anyone on
> the planet and made an industry of passin'
> it along. Also a super-great human being
> "from the Lakes of Minnesota". He
> also developed the "Lindy Rig"
> which has gone a long way in changing
> Walleye fishin'.

> On the Bass side: Clunn or Roland. Probably
> Clunn for keeping us in "the zone"
> and making us keenly aware of the mental
> side of this sport. That would be a good
> one-two punch for the overall choices,
> physical and mental.
Urban

Short list

Post by Urban »

Just in terms of competitive bass fishing, without a doubt the best of all time is RICK CLUNN. Other than his achievements, the guy is dead on with the way he thinks and how he approaches bass fishing.

However, Ive always felt that the best fishermen of all time are the In-Fishermen crew. Those guys truly are the ultimate universal fishermen, they are extremely successful for every species out there, and I particularly like how they analyze the fishing process. They really break down seasons, migrations, structure and cover, and throw in some fish physiology and life histories. Now thats the way to approach fishing.
Steve H

Post by Steve H »

Open memo to the uninformed:
Lindner does not fished stocked ponds for his TV show. I'm from that area and can attest to the many of the lakes he's on.
R. Martin has a recorded track record, look it up.
Oh, you must be talking about Bill Dance. No arguement, but he is informative if you wade through all the marketing. (I own a bunch of electric jigs.)
Hawgcatcher

Post by Hawgcatcher »

> Who IS, the greatest Angler of ALL time? In
> light of the ongoing selection process and
> debate at BASS, what's your opinion on this?
> Let's keep it to the top 3 and why. Here's
> mine.

> Roland Martin - Is there any doubt who's
> number 1 if you go soley based on
> Competative fishing? 19 BASS wins, 25
> Classics fished, 92 Top 10 finishes. and 9,
> count em NINE BASS AOY titles. The only
> angler to take 3 AOY in consecutive years.
> All this, over 5 decades! The only CON on
> this man's resume, No Classic victories. It
> ain't over, till it's over. And anyone with
> the balls ta introduce us to the Hellicopter
> Lure, and git us ta buy millions of em, is
> Numero Uno on my list! HAR!

> Bill Dance - Very well rounded angler. His
> tournament career was short, 1968-1980. In
> that time a total of 23 National Bass
> titles, of which 11 were BASS wins(7 over a
> two year span, 69' & 70'!), 8 Classics,
> 3 AOY titles, he's in 3 Fishing Hall of
> Fames, has written 7 books, aired a TV show
> since 1968, and has touched the hearts and
> shared more fishing info to more individual
> anglers than anyone on the planet. One can
> only imagine if he'd continued tournament
> fishing, what his stats would look like. But
> most of all, ya gotta love that Orange
> Tennessee hat, Go Vols! HAR!

> Al Linder - This guy, truly goes unoticed
> due to his lack of tournament exposure. If
> you've ever read one of his books, or seen
> one of his In-Fisherman shows, you'll know
> why I have him on my top three list. Steve
> Price says, "I put Al right up there
> with Dance, almost." Don Wirth chimes
> in with, "Al Linder is probably the
> best fisherman I've ever been associated
> with, in that he can catch any kind of bass,
> plus anything else that swims!" Al
> Linder is the most technically brilliant
> minded fisherman on the planet. Ya gotta
> love this down ta earth guy from the nort,
> it's just fishin EH?

> NEXT!

Everybody's lists are great, but i think were missing a name on that list, Kevin VanDam. He's been the most productive in recent years, just a thought.
James Huffmon

Post by James Huffmon »

I think he's referring to Bill Dance.....
Cooch

It's YOUR own Opinion.....

Post by Cooch »

that's why I ask for your personal expalination of your top 3.

Cooch
Cooch

There are a lot of guys......

Post by Cooch »

who can and will be left off or added to one's list. Ya only git ta name yer top 3, but ya can have an honerable mention list too! Problem is, my honorable mention list would go on fer days! HAR! HAR!

Cooch
Cooch

I too...............

Post by Cooch »

thought long and hard about Rick Clunn, he certainly would be in my top 5, as would KVD. But we're talking ALL time, and part of my personal criteria fer that is longevity and consistancy, Clunn just doesn't git there on the merits of 28 Classic appearances, 3 Classic wins, 1 AOY, 14 BASS victories and over 100 top 10 finishes. Wow, okay, maybe the lil chubby fellar in the T hat can move down a step! HAR! But the last 10 years or so, Clunn really hasn't held up his own shorts to crack my top three list.

Cooch
elmhurst bassman

What about Ike!!! He thinks he qualifies for this-HAR! *NM*

Post by elmhurst bassman »

Cooch

KVD, is certainly........

Post by Cooch »

another angler who would fall into most guys top5, he sure would fill my 5th spot behind Clunn. Look at the facts, since 1991 to present, 7 BASS vicotries, 15 Classic appearances, 1 Classic victory, 3 time BASS AOY and Lord knows how many top 10 finishes. At 37 years old, KVD needs only another decade of fishing ta crack the top three. His is one of the young breed who has what it takes, no doubt about it. Of course by then, we're all gonna wanna add Aaron Martins to this same list, you watch!

Cooch
Marc

If We are talking Greatest Angler...

Post by Marc »

...Al Lindner is clearly my #1 choice, with Roland second (this has nothing to do with helicopter lures), and Bill Dance third. Of course that is if you go by the list that is being considered.

Otherwise, there are a bunch of other guys that would be at the top of my list, since to me "Greatest Angler" should also include saltwater accomplishments, all species from marlin to grayling, and utilization of other fishing methods to include fly fishing.

Bass tourney anglers comprise only one segment of the angling population and angling world. I can't see most of these bass pros being the "Worlds Greatest Angler" in my book.

ciao,
Marc
Cooch

Yer right Marc...........

Post by Cooch »

but the reference was specific to the "Great Debate" as put forth by BASS, which for our purposes and enjoyment here is about bass anglers.

And I'm in total agreement with Al Linder. My list, of the same three guys you've mentioned, was not meant in any particular order. I have no second doubts that if we're talking about the greatest angler of all fishing, Al Linder would still be my first choice fresh or salt water. I do believe, he's a better bass fisherman than the other two, tournaments or not.

Cooch
photon

Post by photon »

#1) Capt. Ahab! HAR
#2) Stu Apt Think thats how ya spell it!
#3) Al Linder
#4) Rick Clunn
#5) too darn many but consider (in no particular order) Roland, KVD, Dance, Daves, Klein, Thomas, Gliebe, Mann, and others deserve mention.
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

> Haven't been here in a while but I will list my three favorites:
#1 My grandfather- Why? Because he took me fishing anytime that I asked him.
#2 My dad- Why? Because he always took me fishing whenever and with whoever he went with.
#3 My Wife-Why? Because she gets mad at me if I don't ask her to fishing first, and when I took here to look at a very nice Champion, she said to just go back in and buy it. Maybe that should make her #1? OK change the order around.
Marc

We Are on the Same Sheet of Music...

Post by Marc »

...I just wish they had called it the "Greatest Bass Angler" debate (just to keep it focused and in perspective).

Actually, to this day I don't think this debate is meant to focused or definitive. When it is all over the debate will shift to trying to figure out what it is that the fans just voted on. Some will argue they voted for the best angler, others the best bass angler, others the best overall angler that has fished in a national bass tournament, others the angler who has contributed the most to bass fishing, and many others will have voted on who is the most popular.

And it will prove to be nothing more than an entertaining discussion that proves nothing more.

And I am one of the entertained...

ciao,
Marc
Cooch

Thank You Mr. GKramer!, the Godfather.....

Post by Cooch »

of "Who the top anglers Poll!" See what ya started! And you thought BASS left ya fer dead! They is honoring ya mang! HAR! HAR! HAR!

Cooch
Cooch

Great perspective, I love it! *NM*

Post by Cooch »

Dom

Re: Do yall ever think the old timers..

Post by Dom »

had it alot easier? I mean they got in when fishing for bass was new, seems they had the tricks and were able to keep it secrete.

Now a days somthing comes out and within days people know about it weather it be a hot spot or new tech. I respect all the old timers Bill Dance,Roland Martin,etc.. But I feel it is alot harder now to get to that level they achieved in this sport.

Look at thier finishes now ony a handful still compete and do well Rick Clunn being one of em.

I sure wish I was alive back then no dis-respect I just feel they had it easier. Thoughts?

Tight Lines
Dom

> Tounament fishing I believe he would have
> gone down as the all time greatest. He was
> kicking booty against the good ole boys back
> then for a year or three.

> Ok my Top Three:

> 1) Roland Martin, for all the reasons Cooch
> mentioned. The stats do not lie!!

> 2) Rick Clunn, based soley on winning the
> big one more times than anyone else. The man
> does it when the pressure is on, Mr.
> consistency

> 3) A Tie!! Gary Klein & Al Linder, Gary
> for being so consistent over the past twenty
> five years and Al because the man can catch
> any species anywhere at anytime!!

> Next,

> Hipster

> Hipster
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Do yall ever think the old timers..

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Well, Dom, I do know that the southern lakes were a lot better at that time than most of them are now..There is still a whole lot of great fishing down south, but I don't think it is as good as it once was over all..

mac