GoPro Camera questions

jimmyG

GoPro Camera questions

Post by jimmyG »

I will be purchasing a GoPro Camera in the near future to use on my fishing trips and have a few questions and what better place to ask than on this board with folks that are familiar with them. Camera's and accessories are expensive so I hope that I can benefit from your experiences knowledge or misfortunes. So here are a few questions, any in-sight will be appreciated.
1. What model is best, the Hero 3 or 4, the silver or black?
2. To limit buying accessories, which one's do you think I'll be using the most and to get started?
3. Who has the best prices for the camera and accessories? I'd like to buy from one of the advertisers and supporters on the board if they have the best price.

Thanks for any and all responses. You can respond here or pm me.
PF3352

Re: GoPro Camera questions

Post by PF3352 »

I always loved my HERO Black Edition but in all honesty I have to say the HERO 4 Session is it for me. SIMPLE and you don't need the cases to seal it up. The video is awesome and it is just as simple as touching the top button and it starts filming. The session is smaller then the original GOPROs. I believe the cost is $199.00 and comes with attachments. I would recommend buying a 64G card which will let you film over 5 hours in HD. The battery lasts for approx. 2 hours although I have mine plugged in at all times on my boat. You can manage the camera with your phone which makes it fun to send your buddies the video of you catching the fish while they are in the office working. It takes about 3 minutes to upload video to your phone and then text it out. You wont be disappointed. Just my 2cents. I added a 37 second video from last Sunday. Easy

Paul
jimmyG

Post by jimmyG »

Thanks Paul for reply. Nice video and fish. Was that video taken with your session camera?
PF3352

Post by PF3352 »

Yes it was. it was very early and low light and was raining. It is an awesome camera that is waterproof. I have it installed on the dash with the mounts it comes with. I did get the gooseneck so that I could move it where needed. Please understand that the video you are seeing is not HD and was processed through YouTube. The video you get is soooo much clearer. I have it plug into my lighter plug so that it does not run off a battery. Lots of places on Westernbass carry it. TW comes to mind. I'm taking it Turkey hunting this week in New Mexico because it is limitless on what it can do.

Good luck.

paul
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Some tips from over the years
Like the gooseneck mount for different angles.
Carry an extra battery.
Be careful with the mini cards (easy to lose) - got a card reader so I would have something larger to put it in. Lost a few.
rico

Post by rico »

The biggest drawback for the Session is the battery is built in and can't be swapped out for a charged one when it runs down. You aren't always going to be able to keep it connected to a battery.
gomester

Post by gomester »

Just my opinion but I will never own a GoPro again. Picked up a Sony mini and could not be happier. Had problems with GP and recordings not playing back or getting corrupted, etc.
Now.......let me just say I do not need a lesson on using the camera, they send me another camera, I used a brand-new "supported" sd card on their "approved" list and spent over 6 hours on hold on 3 separate phone calls into support. Then they stated they would follow up with me and never did. Horrible support, long hold times, and subpar product. Never again. Lost my business for life due to poor customer service and badly designed product.
Sony worked great out of the box, has an adaptor to use GP mounts with it or get Sony ones. Ebay is a great place to find good deals on mounts and they are local.
Search for seller eeekitonline on Ebay.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I've been using the Hero series for about the last 5 years and I love them. However I bought the Session last year and absolutely love it....its small and easy to use and does not require the waterproof housing. I am using this one 90% of the time now and only use my Hero when I am running two cameras at the same time. One of the accessories is the gopro grip and goose neck. Hope this helps. you can checkout some of my videos shot exclusively using the GoPro family of cameras.

https://youtu.be/mXwDYoepyI8

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films