Replacement treble hooks ...

Freefall

Replacement treble hooks ...

Post by Freefall »

So I'm going to start replacing trebles on my square bills and whopper ploppers but I'm torn on selecting a hook.

I'm kind of torn between the Mustad KVD 1X or the Gami Finesse Gs.

I've never used the Mustads, any complaints or issues with the off set?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Burke

Re: Replacement treble hooks ...

Post by Burke »

On most of my lures, I've replaced stock hooks with either Owner 4x (ST-66) or VMC 4x red (9626TR) hooks and stronger split rings. Most of my front hooks are the VMC 4x red hooks and my back hook(s) are Owner 4x. That's personal preference. I hate to lose fish that are the result of hooks getting straightened. Have not had a hook get straightened since I went to 4x hooks. On my Whopper Ploppers, I use Owner 4x hooks that are dressed with feathers.
Last edited by Burke on Sat May 28, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark-C

Re: Replacement treble hooks ...

Post by Mark-C »

If you go with the KVD, I recommend going with the 2X short shank trebles which allow you to upsize the hook by about one size. Gamakatsu makes a short shank that they call the EWG Treble Short Shank 2X Magic Eye, which also allows you to upsize the hooks but still minimizes the chance they get tangled. Owner has the Short Shank Treble Hook ST-35. I really like all these hooks for replacement trebles. Just my 2 cents.