Best gear ratio reel for deep diving cranks?

RJB

Best gear ratio reel for deep diving cranks?

Post by RJB »

I want to get a new reel strictly for deep cranking, DD 22's, 10XD's etc...and wanted some opinions on thes best gear ratio reel to get? Thanks
zdbm2004

Re: Best gear ratio reel for deep diving cranks?

Post by zdbm2004 »

RJB wrote:I want to get a new reel strictly for deep cranking, DD 22's, 10XD's etc...and wanted some opinions on thes best gear ratio reel to get? Thanks
Somewhere around 5:1. I use the Shimano B5 200 curado and they work perfect. I've used my 6.2:1 ratio reels and I have to slow my cadence which throws me out of whack sometimes. It's a preference thing.
zmyers
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

This is tough question with several answers. A 3.8 to a 5.1 gear ratio has always been considered the norm for a CB reel. Because of the lower ratio they’re easier to crank and less tiring, but with these slower ratios it also slows your bait down too. I've used mostly 6.1 to 6.3 ratio for cranking. It's a faster ratio but not so much so that I can't slow it down if needed. Randy McAbee is one of our most noted CB anglers in the west. Randy uses mostly 7.1 ratio reels. It's hard to argue with McAbee's success with crank baits. He likes to fish fast.

So it really depends on how your fishing and what baits. If you're burning them, a faster reel really helps. It will tire you out though. If you're trying to fish slower a lower ratio reel helps to slow you down. I prefer the Daiwa Tatula or new Zillion SC. They are built tough and are very smooth. They also cast extremely well and distance casting with a crank bait is huge!!! It helps to get the bait down deep and keep it in the strike zone longer. Cranking is the technique that works a reel the hardest. So buy a good quality reel. Dobyns also builds the best crank bait rods :D :D Good luck fishin!!! 
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

A reel with two bearings in each handle knob will make a big difference in how easy it is to crank all day.
The larger diameter gears in today's reels seem to make higher gear ratios easier to crank, too.
Especially if they're on a Dobyns rod! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great stick, great stix!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY