Gary Dobyns question

mark poulson

Gary Dobyns question

Post by mark poulson »

Gary,
Which was harder, starting your own rod company or starting you own tournament series?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Re: Gary Dobyns question

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Mark, I'll bite here. It's Tuesday night and I got home from Mead at 5 PM tonight. Yep, the event ended Sunday but all of us were still on site this morning. Lots of things to handle and take care of after the tournament.

The rod company was easier and far cheaper too. I knew what I was getting into with rod company and I knew exactly what I wanted in product. I had some great contacts and MANY friends to help too. Plus I started Dobyns Rods with Richard and he knew a ton of anglers/friends in a different age group. I'd helped so many anglers and dealers for years....that when we started the rod company MANY of these guys jumped at a chance to help me. I hate to start naming people but I must name one. Bob Higgins at Limit Out. He called me often to check on me and to see if I needed anything including financial. Honestly I did need it but Dobyns Rods was going to make it or fail with my money only. Bob Higgins is one hell of a man and a friend. Just a guy that I had to name here.

Tournament circuit.....I THOUGHT I knew what I was getting into because I've been a tournament angler for 35 years. As an angler sitting on the water it looked damn easy!!!! In truth it's very difficult, crazy expensive, and a TON of work!! There's so much to do that has nothing to do with weighing fish at the events. It's expensive to run at the level we're doing with 100% plus cash paybacks, TV, and all the expenses that no angler even realizes. We're up hours before the anglers and we're leaving the weigh-in site hours after the anglers are gone home.

Here are some things I personally do NOW for the other circuits or events I fish.

I offer help of breaking down the site after the event because they can almost always use another set of hands and they're ready to go home too.
I pay my entry fees early. I never realized the problems it causes with late entries.
I thank the owners and/or directors for the event. Positive comments help you stay sane because you hear so much of what you're doing wrong.

Wild West Bass Trail is looking really good for 2017. We had several sponsors at the Mead event and they had lots of great comments. I don't believe we lost any sponsors for 2017 and we've gained a few. But it's the anglers that have me excited. We've gotten so many calls with anglers committing for next season that we wrote new language in the rules for 2017. We want to get to 150 boat fields and cap the events. We figured it'd take years if ever....but It's very possible we'll see these numbers in 2017.

I know the question of ...why cap the field? WWBT does not do shared weight events. So with 150 boats this is 300 weigh-ins and a little out of control after that. I hope to see many of you guys starting in January. Get you butts ready to fish :) :)
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

When are you gonna start taking sign-ups fro next year pro-ams?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Mark, I'll bite here. It's Tuesday night and I got home from Mead at 5 PM tonight. Yep, the event ended Sunday but all of us were still on site this morning. Lots of things to handle and take care of after the tournament.

The rod company was easier and far cheaper too. I knew what I was getting into with rod company and I knew exactly what I wanted in product. I had some great contacts and MANY friends to help too. Plus I started Dobyns Rods with Richard and he knew a ton of anglers/friends in a different age group. I'd helped so many anglers and dealers for years....that when we started the rod company MANY of these guys jumped at a chance to help me. I hate to start naming people but I must name one. Bob Higgins at Limit Out. He called me often to check on me and to see if I needed anything including financial. Honestly I did need it but Dobyns Rods was going to make it or fail with my money only. Bob Higgins is one hell of a man and a friend. Just a guy that I had to name here.

Tournament circuit.....I THOUGHT I knew what I was getting into because I've been a tournament angler for 35 years. As an angler sitting on the water it looked damn easy!!!! In truth it's very difficult, crazy expensive, and a TON of work!! There's so much to do that has nothing to do with weighing fish at the events. It's expensive to run at the level we're doing with 100% plus cash paybacks, TV, and all the expenses that no angler even realizes. We're up hours before the anglers and we're leaving the weigh-in site hours after the anglers are gone home.

Here are some things I personally do NOW for the other circuits or events I fish.

I offer help of breaking down the site after the event because they can almost always use another set of hands and they're ready to go home too.
I pay my entry fees early. I never realized the problems it causes with late entries.
I thank the owners and/or directors for the event. Positive comments help you stay sane because you hear so much of what you're doing wrong.

Wild West Bass Trail is looking really good for 2017. We had several sponsors at the Mead event and they had lots of great comments. I don't believe we lost any sponsors for 2017 and we've gained a few. But it's the anglers that have me excited. We've gotten so many calls with anglers committing for next season that we wrote new language in the rules for 2017. We want to get to 150 boat fields and cap the events. We figured it'd take years if ever....but It's very possible we'll see these numbers in 2017.

I know the question of ...why cap the field? WWBT does not do shared weight events. So with 150 boats this is 300 weigh-ins and a little out of control after that. I hope to see many of you guys starting in January. Get you butts ready to fish :) :)
I know from working the AC Castaic Trail for Mike Iljin for years how much is involved in running just one trail. I can only imagine how much more is involve with creating and then running a whole tournament series.
You've certainly done a great job with both the WWBT and Dobyns Rods.
CLEAN AND DRY
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

Very well said Gary.
Thank you and crew for doing the hard work!
Sponsors:
Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Nixon's Marine, Yakima Bait Co.
Abu Garcia
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We will start sign-ups very soon. We are going to replace current website and hope to make things easier. I'm hoping to post names on the site as anglers sign up but this is extra work for someone and possibly might not happen.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Gary,

Thanks for opening yourself up and answering very personal questions. I look at what your saying as growing the industry and all of us learning from you a very real person not a corporation and I so much appreciate that.

Your points about hearing the good stuff versus everything that is potentially wrong is what I "heard" the most in your response. I hope people listen to what you are saying and continue to believe in you and WWB.

Without making excuses I would say with everything going on in the world it is hard for anyone to believe anything! I think people have to support and believe in something or else you might as well just jump overboard :)

A simple thanks for all you do sounds pretty weak but from my heart thanks for setting up an organization that helps keep some of us sane by offering opportunities that nobody else is. The remarks that the Lucas Oil VP said about your organization was very eye opening and to have powerful partners supporting you only confirms you are doing the right things. Thanks to you and the people of WWB. Richie Rich
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Thanks Rich. Your comments are very much appreciated. We must keep building WWBT to get it to the level we want and the level our Western anglers deserve.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Isn't it time for the rain dance?
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Mark you have good memory. The way I've been fishing I'm not sure it'd help :) Plus, I'm betting a whole bunch of WB readers have no clue what you're talking about :) You're showing your age buddy :):)
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

With the drought we're in, I figure it's worth a shot.
Maybe you could do it at the BAT, just before the KB/Kramer showdown.
CLEAN AND DRY
basshol

Post by basshol »

So are the Pro Ams 3 day tournaments now?
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Co-anglers can be fishing on the third day. There are other changes for Pro and Co as well.

Gary talks about several in this issue of the WesternBass.Com Mag

Here is the link to the WWBT story:

http://www.westernbass.com/shared/mag_w ... index.html
kmah

Post by kmah »

Qualifying events are three days. In most cases the full field will fish Friday and Sat. The top 10 Pros and Cos will advance to Championship Sunday.

The details will be released by WWBT however the Pros and Cos will be separated on Championship Sunday to fish alone.

10 pros in their own boats
10 Cos in their own boats or boats provided by WWBT.

Once again all the details will be announced once they finalize them.

Come fish, Pro, Cos, Team anglers.

K. Mah