mehanical help please

jetlag

mehanical help please

Post by jetlag »

I bought a 2008 ranger 198vx from a dealer. I took it out and the trolling motor wont turn on. The dealer is closed for a few days so i'm looking for some advice. I have the master switch on and there is another switch( breaker protection) that I have on. Batteries are all charged. I can't find the breakers. I am sure that it is something I am doing wrong.
thanks in advance for your responses.
Bob
NelsonG

Re: mehanical help please

Post by NelsonG »

Is there an on and off switch on the side of the foot pedal ?
Make every day a good day!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Make sure the kill switch is on.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

tried the switch on the foot peddle in both positions and the kill switch is on. Where would the fuse or breaker be for the power going to the unit? The fish finder and all other electrical working upfront.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

there is a trolling motor circuit breaker in the battery compartment "passengers side". Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Newbassfisherman

Post by Newbassfisherman »

Also there might be a small inline fuse very near the positive battery terminal of the last battery in the series. It's very small with a small button on the end of the fuse that you have to push back in to reset. I had the same problem on my first day out in a new to me boat. I didn't find it until after I dismantled half the boat even though someone told me about it !
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

jetlag wrote:tried the switch on the foot peddle in both positions and the kill switch is on. Where would the fuse or breaker be for the power going to the unit? The fish finder and all other electrical working upfront.
If you have an on/off toggle switch for the TM in the battery compartment, try removing the toggle switch on the side of the TM pedal by direct wiring. I had mine go bad, and removing it completely by connecting the two wires leading to it gave my TM power again. It's not like taking a breaker/fuse out of the connection, which could let you fry your wiring or TM. It's just removing a bad switch.
If you find the switch is the problem, it's a cheap, easy fix.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

If you are local I can swing by and take a look.
Around Stockton area?
If not I know others.
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

You have to get a volt meter and test the incoming current. If you have power at the plug/ connection point, you know the problem is in motor part. No power, start working toward the battery. right now, it could be anything
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

ok, I think I have a Phantom problem. I traced the wires from the battery to the switch in the battery compartment. Switch is working 24 volts in and 24 volts out with switch in the on position. Go to the front and where the wires come out I only have 6 volts turn the switch on at the foot peddle and it drops to 3 volts. I called ranger and they said there should be nothing in between the pergo type switch and the trolling motor. I pull on the wires and I cant get the wires to move in the front. The guy wasn't sure about my model so maybe some of his info is not accurate. I can't find any access panels or fuses. This is where in at.
Bob
p.s. Thanks a bunch for the imput
senkoboy

Post by senkoboy »

Hey,

I think someone brought this up but I will again as its best to start with basics. There should be 1 breaker at each battery on the positive cable. Usually they are very small rectangular maybe 3/4 inches by 1.5 inches. sometimes they get taped over and you don't notice them (been there). look on all sides and it will have a very small plastic plunger that will be popped out and you need to push back in. This is usually the problem with this issue. Take a harder look again and find those breakers as they are allmost always there and a potential issued.

good luck and happy fishing.

al
I think therefore I fish.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

jetlag wrote:ok, I think I have a Phantom problem. I traced the wires from the battery to the switch in the battery compartment. Switch is working 24 volts in and 24 volts out with switch in the on position. Go to the front and where the wires come out I only have 6 volts turn the switch on at the foot peddle and it drops to 3 volts. I called ranger and they said there should be nothing in between the pergo type switch and the trolling motor. I pull on the wires and I cant get the wires to move in the front. The guy wasn't sure about my model so maybe some of his info is not accurate. I can't find any access panels or fuses. This is where in at.
Bob
p.s. Thanks a bunch for the imput

you need to pull the face plate in the bow and you will find a power lug/block where where the the wires from the battery compartment come in. Your trolling motor wires should be bolted to that lug/block. I'd check to make sure the motor wires are:
1) connected
2) NOT REVERSED

I would disconnect the motor leads from the lug/block, then test your voltage at the lug/block.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

jetlag

Post by jetlag »

Problem solved. My boat is equipped with an on/off switch just passed the batteries. We tested this again and it was not working properly. When I unhooked it from the boat to test it, it would work. Something inside must have been making contact and showing 24 volts when I was torqueing on the switch. We then by passed the switch and everything worked great. Thank you very much to all who lent advise. It made me keep looking at the problem from different angles. Much appreciated.
Bob
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Jetlag,

If I recall those safety on/off kill switches were reported to be a defect in the 09/10 models and could catch fire. You may want to have that looked at
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
roaddog

Post by roaddog »

I know the problem has already been solved, but I dealt with a similar situation a few months ago and wanted to share some info in case anyone else has a similar situation in the future.

Fished 3 days in a row:
Day 1: Trolling motor worked perfect.
Day 2: No power at all to trolling motor, yet everything else worked. The negative/ ground wire at the plug came loose and was no longer connected inside the plug. (had to take plug apart to see it, but I started there first since it worked flawlessly the day prior). I was lucky to find it relatively quickly at the ramp, but it could've been bad had I wasted the whole day chasing the electrical grimmlan, yet it was something so easy to fix and right in front of my face. Start at one end and work your way back. An electrical issue is always frustrating.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

jetlag wrote:Problem solved. My boat is equipped with an on/off switch just passed the batteries. We tested this again and it was not working properly. When I unhooked it from the boat to test it, it would work. Something inside must have been making contact and showing 24 volts when I was torqueing on the switch. We then by passed the switch and everything worked great. Thank you very much to all who lent advise. It made me keep looking at the problem from different angles. Much appreciated.
Bob

yep, that's the one I was referring to and it does need to be replaced. They will do so N/C. Dan