Clear lake this week 12/19/2016

DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

I apologize for missing a couple of weeks, but business is crazy for me this time of year and I just haven’t had the time. If you do need reel service please do it now, spring will be here before we know it and it’s only going to get crazier, especially with water in the rivers and steelheaders heading out.

Current lake level is 2.32 Rumsey and rising, with the water around mid-lake still fairly good clarity wise, along with the stretch from Lakeport towards Rodman as well. That said, the closer you get to a creek mouth the muddier the water gets.

Water surface temps are now hovering around 49 degrees, and it is cold around here in the mornings, down to as low as 22 degrees, so I’d expect that to go even lower.

Still, the bite while slow is not bad for those who can slow down. Whether you’re throwing a deep crank, lipless crank, or a jig, slow is the key. Now through January is when some of the bigger glide bait and swim bait fish finally start to show themselves on a regular basis as well. Again, slow, slow, slow.

As far as the lake in general goes, it really is beginning to shape up as something to look forward to. With the return of the shad and the crappie, along with an enormous amount of bluegill around, it could get really good, really soon.

I am always being asked. “What is the best way to catch a giant on that lake?” My top five. One, “time on the water”, plain and simple. Two, fish with an open mind. Do not come here with a pre-determined opinion on what will work, or what you are going to throw. Be prepared to fish outside of your comfort zone. Three, one day is usually not enough, plan a multi-day trip when possible. Four, and this can be the hardest one sometimes. Consider hiring a guide for the day. This can be an extremely hard body of water to figure out, and hiring a guide can shorten that learning curve enough to make you feel a little more comfortable chasing them yourself. Oh, and by the way, that’s what they are there for, and most are more than happy to help, trust me. Five, revisit number four!

Anyways, I hope you all have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. Dress warm if you are coming and again, be SAFE and enjoy your Holidays!

Oh, one more thing...congratulations Mr. Cody "ocho" Meyer on your GIANT spot. You said you were going to do it, and it could not happen to a better guy. As for you Mr. Little....as usual, Way to go!...;)
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
chubasco2

Re: Clear lake this week 12/19/2016

Post by chubasco2 »

any tips on the glide bait deal? im heading out day after xmas from san diego. planning on throwing lots of hudds and jigs. i kmow its gonna be reel cold but ive never fished her in the winter