considering yamaha 225 hpdi, any imput?

backagin

considering yamaha 225 hpdi, any imput?

Post by backagin »

i'm considering buying a ranger boat with a 2008 yamaha 225 hpdi, A local dealer said there only good for about 300 hrs. i've never run yammies, is this a good engine? economical? any suggestions, or experiences would be great.
Whoopbass

Re: considering yamaha 225 hpdi, any imput?

Post by Whoopbass »

I bought a boat with a blown 225 HPDI. I done some checking on the internet and from what I gather they are junk. The lower HP HPDI's were good. When I was looking for a used boat most of em had Yammi's or Merc's and nearly all of them had already been through one powerhead. I'm going to part this motor out and buy an Evinrude G2.
Charles

Post by Charles »

My 05 200 was awesome. I can't speak for the 225
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Yeah the 200 HPDI's were good. I'm sure a fair of the amount of the 225's are still running. It might be a decent motor if all the updates and if any recalls have been performed. The issues they had probably have fixes or known preventative measures to keep them from blowing prematurely. You just got to find that info on the net. I did see where one person said Yamaha just gave up and went to 4-stroke only. Not sure if that's entirely true. You can get a Merc and it might last 300 hrs or it might last 3000 hrs. You never know with a 2 stroke no matter what brand it is. Heck i've seen boats for sale with early Opti's and Ficht's that have a ton of hours and nothing major has been done to the motors according to the owners and those motors were suppose to be big POS.
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

I too am researching these motors for a potential used boat purchase and i found this link very helpful!

http://www.westernbass.com/forum/post55 ... ic#p553906

Scroll down and see the post that references Wright Motors Marine I just got done speaking to Richard Wright and he was very helpful as he has a lot of experience with these Yamahas

He said he won't lie in regards to having seen some random failures of powerheads etc but he did say they were rare cases and not the norm and he did suggest to have the serial number on the motor ran to see if the motor has had the upgraded oil pump replaced either by Yamaha back in 2007 or by the owner of the boat at some time.

Other than that he said he could do the basic comp test, leak down, and vac tests along with a general visual inspection of the motor after that it's like any other used motor you never know when it could go and hopefully the previous owner kept up on maintenance!

He's located in Lodi btw
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Good motor. Yamaha and Mercury are the industry leaders for a reason, they make what consumers want to buy. I wouldn't think too hard about it, every engine manufacture has it's own issues, just like boats, cars, etc. It is no different than a car. If you are looking at brand new, they are all the same, they are all on full warranty just compare performance to what you are looking for. If it's used you're after, it's all about how it was maintained. I would not read forums, most people do not take care of their engine and boat properly therefore they have issues and complain about their issues online. The engine is a mechanism with hundreds of parts, many of them moving, fluids pumping through, electricity, timing, exposure to many various environments, etc... Buy what you like and want, maintain it well, you will love it.

Mercury = Ford/Chevy
Yamaha = Toyota/Lexus
Evinrude = Dodge/Nissan
Honda = Honda

All of these vehicle manufactures sell over 1 million vehicles each year. All have cars on the road with over 200,000 miles on them never having any issues. An outboard motor is no different.
Bass boy dave

Post by Bass boy dave »

Had 3 power heads on my 2004 ranger. From what I understand the 200s are solid but the 225 and 250 are junk. If one of the filters or injector screens start to plug you will melt a piston. Mine was a first gen and I think they updated in 2006. I was strict about my maintenance and still had issues. Just my experience though. My partner has a 225 pro xs and no major problems after 8 years
Bass boy dave

Post by Bass boy dave »

Had 3 power heads on my 2004 ranger. From what I understand the 200s are solid but the 225 and 250 are junk. If one of the filters or injector screens start to plug you will melt a piston. Mine was a first gen and I think they updated in 2006. I was strict about my maintenance and still had issues. Just my experience though. My partner has a 225 pro xs and no major problems after 8 years
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

i have a 2003 skeeter, with 225 HDPI and never, ever had an issue with it. It has several hundred hours on it. cleaned and replaced fuel pumps and screens just last year, but otherwise, not a single problem. Still running today just fine, pushing my skeeter to 70+mph.

my buddy phil had the same boat and motor, put 3X the amount of hours on his, and only had issues after 12yrs or working it hard. did a tear down and repair and is up and running just fine again.

I personally think each brand has its issues, and its some luck and some maintenance support that keeps them running.

Kopper_bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Google search any outboard motor, any hp, any year... you'll see complaints on all. Don't read online forums when making a purchasing decision. Yelp a boat shop that looks trustworthy and ask them. If you google search your headache it'll tell you you have a brain tumor... come on