Lock R Bar Installation???

ketchenbass321

Lock R Bar Installation???

Post by ketchenbass321 »

Hey guys! Need some advice. Just bought a new Lock R Bar for my new Phoenix. Looking for installation tips before I drill the two holes. For those of you who have installed your own, is there one better drill hole bit that's better than another?

Was recommended that I put tape over fiberglass before drilling. True? I'm pretty good with tools, but nervous about drilling into fiberglass.

Any helpful recommendations will be much appreciated. Thanks!
mrobinett

Re: Lock R Bar Installation???

Post by mrobinett »

Using tape would be OK but just use a new bit and keep the RPM high and don't rush.
ketchenbass321

Post by ketchenbass321 »

Is there a specific brand of bit you recommend? The ones I see at Home Depot have big teeth. I was thinking something with smaller teeth would be better. I may be wrong.
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

I assume you're going to use a hole saw then. I don't think they make different teeth sizes for them. The regular one would be ok. Just make sue you don't drill into any power cables that run along the gunnel. I'm speaking from experience from when I installed mine.
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Hi, I have installed one on my old Ranger and one on my new Ranger. I would use duck tape, placed on the gunwale then trace a template onto the tape with a permanent marker, marking the center with a dot from your pen. This way you know right where the brackets will lye. I liked mine as flush as possible to the deck and making sure the bar is in line to cover your lockers.(where you want it)
As they say measure 2 times cut once.
Like the guys stated earlier dont force the drill, let the hole cutter cut. Remember your not drilling a hole thru wood just removing some fiberglass. You will have no problems, just take your time.
Also remember to counter sink your screw holes so you dont get cracks or what they call spider webs in your gel coat.
Hope this helps!
Viking

Post by Viking »

Go at least 1/4 of the way thru with the drill in reverse, trust me you'll be good. Finish the top of the holes with a stone Chamfer bit and you're good to go
ketchenbass321

Post by ketchenbass321 »

All the advice was taken into consideration and it REALLY helped. Man! It is nerve racking to drill into a brand new boat! I really had second thoughts about doing it. Almost drove to have it professionally done last minute. It went smooth and I took my sweet ole time! LOL Thanks guys!!!