Lake Piru Water level and Lake policy regarding infestation

MikeR

Lake Piru Water level and Lake policy regarding infestation

Post by MikeR »

For those interested: The lake is at only 15% AFTER the rains. It rose just over 4.5'. I inquired of my contact there and asked for some information on how lake policy is formed. Here's some insight as to how each lake determines policy when faced with infestation and what agencies might be involved.

Mike

From the manager at Lake Piru:

We have received some inflow and are continuing to rise as we speak, although we are not at the 25% capacity. We have risen about 4.5 vertical feet which I believe puts around 15%. Not a tremendous inflow but none the less a much needed slug of water.

Yes, it is unfortunate news that pyramid has been found to have mussels and that Castaic is also believed to be infested, although mussels have not actually been discovered in the lake. Lake Policy it decided by each agency who runs a particular reservoir and is influenced by regulations. For example in Piru’s case Untied Water, whom employees me, determines operational policy and that policy is based on regulations sent down from the federal and our state agencies whom regulate our project. In our case we are under the guidance of the Federal Energy regulatory Commission, National Marine Fisheries, US Fish and Wildlife and Sate Fish and Wildlife. Pyramid and Castaic are even more complex because they are in fact a part of the state water project and are directly tied to LA County Parks and the US Forest Service in addition to the other agencies listed for Piru. In the end their policy will likely be based on federal and state regulatory agency input for their project and then refined by the State Department of Water Resources.
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
mark poulson

Re: Lake Piru Water level and Lake policy regarding infestation

Post by mark poulson »

Man, that is a nightmare forest of agencies to have to get onto the same page. It'll be like trying to herd cats.
I don't envy those water folks one bit!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

Is the lake open to launch? Inspections or quarantines?
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Jim V. wrote:Is the lake open to launch? Inspections or quarantines?
At 15% capacity, I don't believe it's open to boat launching but contact them directly. The lake is infested with quagga so I believe only containment procedures are in effect, meaning you must pull the plug and drain your bilge, live wells, ballast tanks (wake boats), and motor prior to leaving the lake. See below from their website, contact information is at the bottom:

Mike

"In an effort to prevent the potential spread of quagga mussels, we are advising all boaters who visit Lake Piru to conduct the following measures upon departure of the lake and before entering a another body of water:

1. Inspect all exposed surfaces - small mussels feel like sandpaper to the touch.
2. Wash the hull of each watercraft thoroughly with hot water greater than 140 Fahrenheit.
3. Remove all plants and animal material.
4. Drain all water and dry all areas.
5. Drain and dry the lower outboard unit.
6. Clean and dry all live-wells.
7. Empty and dry any buckets.
8. Dispose of all bait in the trash.
9. Wait 5 days in hot weather and up to 30 days when cool and moist. Keep watercraft dry between launches into different fresh waters.

Additionally, until further notice Lake Piru has suspended its joint AIS tagging program with Castaic and Pyramid Lakes and will not be tagging any vessels leaving Lake Piru. While the potential discovery is unpleasant news, we do not anticipate that it will impact our ability to provide recreation services to the visiting public. As more information becomes available, we will keep our visitors apprised. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask for your help in preventing the spread of invasive species and ask that you aid us in continuing to protect California's water resources. If you have any questions, please contact the Lake Piru Park Services Officer station at (805) 317-8990 or United Water's main office at (805) 525-4431."
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Mike,
Once again, thanks for the report.
Do you know where Piru gets its water? I had thought Piru bought water from Pyramid.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

mark poulson wrote:Mike,
Once again, thanks for the report.
Do you know where Piru gets its water? I had thought Piru bought water from Pyramid.
I believe they can buy water from Pyramid, actually the State Water project. They also benefit if ever the dam spills. I can't imagine that happening with Elderberry available for storage however. Due to the drought, deliveries or the amount of water available from up in your neck of the woods has been greatly reduced.

The "slug" of water Clayton described was from this last set of storms.

Mike