Clear Lake this week 1/31/2017 typo corrected.....

DanIsaac

Clear Lake this week 1/31/2017 typo corrected.....

Post by DanIsaac »

Clear Lake this week 1/31/2017

Current conditions have improved somewhat as the lake is now at 8.13 Rumsey, and roads are all fairly clear in and out.

Now to answer the most asked question this past week. Will the ABA tournament be allowed to go off on this coming Saturday? Answer, well, the lake could may well draw far enough down to meet the 7.9 Rumsey mark set by the county, however, debris fields remain numerous, as does the dangerous conditions resulting from rouge floating docks, full size trees, and assorted logs.

There are both above and below the surface hazards awaiting anyone running full speed anywhere on this lake.
I DO NOT advise any one attempt that especially in low light conditions. Furthermore, I do not see these conditions improving short term as I have yet to see a concerted effort to clear any of it, at least while I’ve been out. My guess as of today is that the final decision will fall upon the TD, just be aware guys, there is a TON of debris, and it is moving on an hourly basis.

Ok, now onto the fishing. With the improving weather, the bite has begun to improve as well. Water temperatures into the low 50s can now be found in a few areas late in the day, with most areas remaining 47-49 degrees throughout the balance of the lake.

Some decent fish can now be found and willing to cooperate with anglers tossing the dreaded A-Rig, with Megabass and Lucky Craft jerkbaits, LV500s, TN70s, and Red-eyed shad all contributing to some decent bags as well.

Fish in the 6-10lb. range are not all that un-common and bags into the high 30s are not too far away, should the weather continue to warm the water column.

Forecast rain the balance of this week could contribute to some additional incoming water contributing to undoing some of the clearing clarity, but as long as we continue to get some warmer days the pre-spring bite should not be too many weeks away!

Stay tuned and stay SAFE!
20170126_204717.jpg
Last edited by DanIsaac on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
DanIsaac

Re: Clear Lake this week 1/31/2017

Post by DanIsaac »

THERE was a typo in the above original that has been corrected by the BOLD TEXT....be safe, Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Caudawg

Re: Clear Lake this week 1/31/2017 typo corrected.....

Post by Caudawg »

Great report, Dan! Thank you!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

clear lake water levels january 2017.png
Rabola

Post by Rabola »

The report is very much appriciated, espicially the warnings. It appears the tournament is a go and the restrictions have been lifted. This is one tournament I hope I am in the first flight with all the unseen debri.
Tostrand

Post by Tostrand »

The 5MPH limit HAS NOT BEEN LIFTED I live in Kelseyville and just got off the phone with the lake county sheriff dept 707-263-2690 give them a call if you don't believe me
Thomas Ostrand
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Tostrand wrote:The 5MPH limit HAS NOT BEEN LIFTED I live in Kelseyville and just got off the phone with the lake county sheriff dept 707-263-2690 give them a call if you don't believe me
Thomas Ostrand
Someone needs to tell Mark Miller..

http://www.westernbass.com/forum/attent ... 06692.html

And ABA...

http://www.americanbass.co/index.php/sc ... nfilters=0
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
supermat

Post by supermat »

Stratos278,
The exception has only been made for the tournament. The 5 MPH is absolutely still in affect on the lake. I was on the phone all morning about this as its impacting all of us guides. The absolute earliest that it could be lifted is at the Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday night but from the sound of it there is no attempt to lift it at all, just a push for a modification allowing boats to travel down the center of the lake more than a 1/2 mile off shore. Like it or not its here to stay (for now). The 1/2 mile modification is still a major hassle for the angler but is fair compromise IMO. It will protect homeowners and still allow us to work/fun fish as needed. All of us who depend on the lake are impacted in a huge way so we'll stay on top of any/all changes as they happen.

Matt Allen
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com
Rabola

Post by Rabola »

Thank you for the clairification. ABA made it sound like ALL the restrictions were lifted.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

supermat wrote:Stratos278,
The exception has only been made for the tournament. The 5 MPH is absolutely still in affect on the lake. I was on the phone all morning about this as its impacting all of us guides. The absolute earliest that it could be lifted is at the Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday night but from the sound of it there is no attempt to lift it at all, just a push for a modification allowing boats to travel down the center of the lake more than a 1/2 mile off shore. Like it or not its here to stay (for now). The 1/2 mile modification is still a major hassle for the angler but is fair compromise IMO. It will protect homeowners and still allow us to work/fun fish as needed. All of us who depend on the lake are impacted in a huge way so we'll stay on top of any/all changes as they happen.

Matt Allen
We were told the same this morning, why a waiver was issued was confusing to most of us as well?

That said, please guys, for everyones sake, please do not mess this up. Please follow the
restrictions closely, the last thing anyone needs is for the County to close the lake as a result of someones disregard. Not that anyone would ever do that! Just sayin'!

Also, do not think that because a waiver was issued that it is completely safe out there, cuz it AIN'T! Trust me, we drove the lake and there are
plenty of OH &%$# moments out there waiting for anyone choosing to chance it!

Furthermore, be advised the debris fields are constantly moving from hour to hour, and an area clear in the AM won't neccesarily be so in the afternoon.

Have fun, be safe, and GOOD LUCK!

supermat

Post by supermat »

Update: The 5 mph will not be lifted this weekend and the ABA is now cancelled. The hits just keep coming. Hopefully the weather breaks soon!
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com
Fred Fullerton

Post by Fred Fullerton »

I encourage all that have an interest in fishing clear lake to attend the meeting on Tuesday, And in my Defense was I told by an official of lake to proceed with the event, Until another higher UP said NO!!!!! Then a so called Memo was produced That said the Board is the only Authority That was able to lift the 5mph on the lake. With that said I have spoke with numerous Fishermen that have been on the lake and I will not let out names But very well known in the county and NOOO BODY is adhering to this . The lake has been at much higher levels in the past with no restrictions, and Tournament fishermen understand this better than any one around the lake. If you would like to doubt Me check the History levels for 2011 and see for yourself. I do plan to attend the Meeting on Tuesday February 7th. This ban on boating has cost the Businesses around the lake a lot revenue Not mention the taxes for the county. People that make a living on this lake to have a lot of consideration BEFORE MAKING DECISIONS THAT EFFECT THERE LIVELY HOODS. And one more thing in my rant as far a debris in the lake it is no different than any other Year It is the responsibility of every boater no matter what time of the Season to look for DERBIES OR ANY OTHER HAZARDS IN THE WATER, Boats have no breaks that is why we have eyes and a spotter in the vessel. SEE YA ALL ON TUESDAY FEB 7 TH.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

I respect your opinion Fred, however this time I cannot blame the county, and trust me I have very little admiration for any of our county
officials. The word disfunctional comes to mind actually, but they had no choice this time as most property owners could care less about any
fishing competition and there are many properties at real risk aroundcthe lake.

As for the debris issues and hazards, I would think personal safety would be a little more of a priority with any TD over any inconvenience?
Perhaps I'm wrong?. Some of your un-named
anglers actually conveyed to me personally that they had spoken with you and told you that they did not think it was not a good idea when you called to ask them. Not true?

Certainly we all take risks when we compete or even fun fish for that matter, but exposing anyone to additional danger is in my opinion never a good idea, even if someone else chose to do so in the past. Two wrongs as they say never make a right.....

This said I wish you luck with the County!