electronic advise

Moderator: Ken Sauret

jetlag

electronic advise

Post by jetlag »

I am looking to upgrade my electronics. I am leaning towards those package deals that lowrance is offering. HDS 12 and HDS 9. Anyone have any experience with those complete boat packages?
thanks
Bob
kmah

Re: electronic advise

Post by kmah »

Bob

Not sure what feedback you are looking for, but the Lowrance "boat in the box" deals are fantastic as they discount the units and give you some free accessories.

With the Gen 3 touch also being discounted it's a great way of getting an awesome set of Lowrance's.

K. Mah
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

Has anyone had any problems with linking them together? Is it truly a complete package or do I need to add different transducers? Its a little overwhelming. I want to be able to link front and back together with side and structure scan and have it in 3D. I don't want to have any regrets if I spend the money.
thanks
Bob
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Yes, they link perfectly. I have mine linked with no issues at all.

I'm one of the few anglers that does not like them linked. Weird maybe but I prefer each to have own transducer and be separate. I just haven't changed mine yet.
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

I just had my package installed on my boat I got the hds 9&7, took mine down to c&c marine in Modesto
Edd

Post by Edd »

I have installed a few of the 'Boat in a Box' packages. They are complete as far as MFD/XDCR's go but of course there are the usual consumeables and power considerations. Basically everything is in the box.
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

Ok I'm starting to get a slight grip on these things thanks to this forum. So Bill, if they are not linked then you don't have any side scan in the front???? So is there only sonar and down scan in the front? Where does the 3D come into play? I am also confused about the navigation. They come with the gps puck but I was told that the units have gps built in to them and don't need a puck. One last question, Is there a place that I can take my boat around the Sacramento area that will be able to install? You guys have been great and I'm sorry that I'm still a bit overwhelmed.
thanks,
Bob
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Gone Fishin Marine does a good job installing. The HDS units do have internal GPS. The Point 1 that comes with the package is an external GPS receiver with integrated heading sensor. You can place this over your rear transducer so when marking waypoints from sonar, they are more accurate due to the receiver being close to the transducer. When approaching waypoints at slow/no speed, the heading sensor keeps the icon on the screen pointing toward the front of the boat. No more waypoints jumping around on the screen. Ideal setup is 2 Gen 3 units linked by Ethernet and NMEA 2000. Front unit with HDI transducer, Rear unit with LSS-2 or 3D AND a PDRT-WBL in the bilge for 2D sonar. You could also opt for the TotalScan transducer which provides 2D, DS, and SS all in one. If you decide you want 3D, you also have to purchase a StructureScan 3D module as the transducer will not plug directly into the back.
If you install the Point 1 and link both units by NMEA 2000 they will share the heading sensor and you only need one. Ethernet linking allows sharing of Navionics maps, sonar, and structure images. With the newest update, you can even view two transducers at the same time.

NoCAL
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

The one thing that doesn't come in the box that you will need is a Navionics Regions West card and the Navionics app on your phone. These two items will allow you to connect to the Lowrance WiFi and make live maps of what ever lake that you fish. This is some amazing technology that works with the Gen 3 Lowrance. There is an update coming out that allows you to do SonarChartsLive on the actual unit.

Here are a couple shots.

The Wanabepro
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

ONE LAST QUESTION. I am opting to go with the boat in a box. I have watched a ton of youtube videos on using and installing them. I read one thing that I am nervous about. Can I actually mount the total scan transducer on my ranger? I have a 198vx without a plate. They said total scan cannot be mounted on a lot of bass boats. The guy that was going to install my set up does not like it sticking out the back. Wanted me to buy 2 different transducers for the 2D and structure. Said it would be a cleaner looking install. It will add around 500 to the price. I'm ok with the total scan if it will work on my boat. You all have been a hude help.
thanks
Bob
kmah

Post by kmah »

jetlag wrote:Ok I'm starting to get a slight grip on these things thanks to this forum. So Bill, if they are not linked then you don't have any side scan in the front???? So is there only sonar and down scan in the front? Where does the 3D come into play? I am also confused about the navigation. They come with the gps puck but I was told that the units have gps built in to them and don't need a puck. One last question, Is there a place that I can take my boat around the Sacramento area that will be able to install? You guys have been great and I'm sorry that I'm still a bit overwhelmed.
thanks,
Bob
Don't do the Dobyns thing (OOOOOLd School), link them. You can still install separate transducers to the trolling motor and install the total scan transducer to the rear if your boat. I used this mounting bracket. The reason the mount is needed is because on the new SS transducers the cable comes off the top of the transducer.
http://hitecoutdoors.com/structurescan- ... nsommount/

All the HDS models have an internal GPS antenna however the boat in the box may include a Point 1 gps puck. This has a higher refresh rate and provides even bettter accuracy and tracking.

I think the boat in the box comes with a Spotlight scan transducer so you can install this on the trolling motor to get down scan and sonar on the bow. If you link the graphs, you can also select the rear graph as the source in order to get side scan/3D.

Call Josh @Gone Fishing Marine they are in Dixon +1 (707) 678-1600

Keep asking question, it's a big investment and not cheap. You would rather ask some questions as they are free.

Lowrance is very easy to use, good luck.

K. Mah
Edd

Post by Edd »

TotalScan transducer does NOT givr you 3D. You must use the 3D module and transducer for 3D.