When to buy new batteries for trolling motor

RJB

When to buy new batteries for trolling motor

Post by RJB »

On the last day of this month, my Ranger will be 4 yrs old. I fish quite a bit and the boat only sits in December and January. My question is, when will I know when it's time to replace my two trolling motor batteries? They always show a full charge after my boats been plugged in for a while. I replaced the cranking battery last year.
birdman920

Re: When to buy new batteries for trolling motor

Post by birdman920 »

If the batts are 4 years old ?... it would be a good time to replace them !... otherwise you can just wait until they get noticly weak on you during your day on the water!... but that may ruin a good days fish'n " if they run out of juice ?....don't forget to take the old ones in with you " and get your core charge back "$.....
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

It depends on the battery and the life they've led. My first set of batteries drained down to zero frequently and lasted 2.5 years. I bought my second set in the Spring of 2010 and they are still as strong as ever! For the second set, I bought Diehard Marine Platinum AGM batteries in group 27 size. They have never been run down once. I fish the delta and have to deal with wind and tides, so the trolling motor gets used hard.

I think factors such as promptly charging batteries after a trip, never letting them discharge all the way, keeping them on a charger that maintains them while in storage, and the quality of the battery you start with determine how long the batteries will last.

I think these batteries have been discontinued by Diehard. But other high quality AGM batteries are available.

Glenn
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

You know when your cranking battery sounds tired and your trolling motor seems to be running out of life by around noon. Yes your TM batteries will take a full charge every time ...... they just lose there staying power in to the day, especially if you are in the Delta fighting wind, tides and 50 ft yachts blowing by you.

My cranking battery and 2 of 3 TM batteries were 4 yrs old and the 3rd TM battery was 2 yrs old. I replaced all four last December. Crank: Optima Blue Top 31M and the ( 3 ) TM batteries Duracell 31M DC ( not maintenance free ).

There was no doubt my TM batteries were on their last leg..... could tell that immediately after running TM with new batteries. It takes 30 mins once a month to check cells..... but with the 10% discount from Batteries+ the Duracell 31M DC were like $108 each .... and readily available. Here is the link:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/m ... -group-31m
LV Ba$$

Post by LV Ba$$ »

I replace mine the first time they don't last as long as they did in their prime. Meaning, after they were broke in with the proper charging, and discharged correctly over multiple cycles, I can feel when they don't last with the power they once did. I can average 1-1.5 years in buying deep cycle, trolling motor only, batteries.

This is coming from someone that fishes every week and loves to use my TM only on the highest setting. Plus, I'm only on 12v, so it's hit harder.
Hughsonbassin

Post by Hughsonbassin »

If you are interested in new batteries I am an ACDelco dealer. Great batteries made by Johnson Controls. Any westernbass member is welcomed to PM for a great price. I am located in Modesto.

Aaron