03/02/2017 - Updated South Delta River and Slough Closures:

WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

As of this notice all Rivers and other South Delta waterways highlighted on the attached map(s) remain
closed to recreational boating traffic (with some exceptions noted below) until further notice by the San
Joaquin County, Office of Emergency Services.
Exceptions:
1) Orange Highlight on Map = Old River, north of Victoria/Woodward Cut and all the way to the
San Joaquin River deep water channel on Old River will be open to all boat traffic with the
following restrictions:
a. 5MPH (No Wake) speed restriction for all boaters on the entire Old River section
described above, two hours before posted high tide, through two hours after posted
high tide.
b. No speed restriction for all boaters on the entire Old River section described above,
outside of the four-hour high tide window described in section “a” above.
2) Orange Highlight on Map = Starting north side of the Orwood Railroad Bridge at Old River,
heading east on Railroad Slough (south end of Bacon Island), North on Middle River passed
Bullfrog Marina and Bacon Island swing bridge, East on Empire Cut (north end of Lower Jones
Tract), North on Whiskey Slough, under the McDonald River Bridge and past Tiki Lagoon Marina
and Turner Cut Resort all the way to the San Joaquin River will be open to all boat traffic with
the following restrictions:
a. 5MPH (No Wake) speed restriction for all boaters on the yellow highlighted route
described above, two hours before posted high tide, through two hours after posted
high tide.
b. No speed restriction for all boaters on the entire yellow highlighted route described
above, outside of the four-hour high tide window described in section “a” above.
3) Mildred Island will be the designated recreational area for pleasure boaters in the south delta
area while waterway closures remain in effect. This area can be used by Wake-Board boaters,
Waver-Runners, Jet Skis, Water Skiers, etc. with the following restrictions:
a. 5MPH (No Wake) speed restriction for all boaters on the Pink highlighted route
described above, one hour before posted high tide, through one hour after posted high
tide.
b. No speed restriction for all boaters on the entire Pink highlighted route described
above, outside of the two-hour high tide window described in section “a” above.
4) The pink highlighted on map is closed to pleasure boat traffic.
5) None of the closures or restrictions listed above or shown on the attached map apply to
emergency vessels, commercial vessels, or vessels operating to perform maintenance,
inspection and/or repair to Delta Levees as approved by the San Joaquin County Office of
Emergency Services.
6) Please keep in mind that waves against the levees, particularly at high tides may cause erosion
to the levee which increases the threat to the levees.
Frequently Asked Questions
a. Why are so many Rivers and Sloughs closed?
i. The release of water up river combined with heavy rains has caused the Rivers
and Sloughs in the south Delta to reach extremely high levels on surrounding
levees. Wakes from boats at high tides, could pose a risk to levee stability in
some areas.
b. How long will the closures be in place?
i. Until the closures are lifted or modified by the San Joaquin County, Office of
Emergency Services. The closures are dependent on water levels in the Delta
system which fluctuate with rain events and possibly again in spring or early
summer as the snow melts in the surrounding mountains.
c. What happens if I boat on a closed River or Slough?
i. County Sheriff Marine Patrol divisions and the United Sates Coast Guard will be
enforcing the closures.
d. Where can I pleasure boat while the closures are in effect?
i. During the appropriate times outlined in this directive, you can pleasure boat on
Old River, Mildred Island, San Joaquin River, or any River or Slough not closed by
the San Joaquin County Office of Emergency Services (see attached highlighted
map).
e. Will Bridge operator’s open bridges on closed Rivers and Sloughs?
i. Only for emergency boat traffic while the closures are in place (Orwood Railroad
Bridge, Bacon Island Bridge, and MacDonald River Bridge will open per their
normal schedules and all other bridges not in a closed area).
f. How do I find out about Bridge schedules and when high tide is on any given day?
i. You can find bridge and tide information at, DeltaBoating.com
ii. http://deltaboating.com/tides/orwood.php
g. Who do I contact if I have questions regarding this directive?
i. San Joaquin County Office of Emergency Services, (209) 953.6200
WB Staff

Re: 03/02/2017 - Updated South Delta River and Slough Closures:

Post by WB Staff »

click to enlarge
Attachments
map 1.png
map 2.png
map 3.png
Ranger519v

Post by Ranger519v »

O.k., I'm sure someone is working on it, but we need a new multi-colored map with text overlays to keep all this straight. This is as confusing as hell. For us fishermen, can we fish in pink areas? "3a" talks about 5mph restriction 1 hour before and after high tide. "3b" says no speed restriction other than "3a", but "4" says pink is closed to all "pleasure boat traffic".
Bob
===========================================
1997 Ranger 519DVS, 225 Mercury EFI, 12 and 9" HDS Gen 3s, 109 MG Tour, 10' Talons
obsessed fisherman

Post by obsessed fisherman »

Pink areas off limits. Orange areas no restrictions unless within 4 hour window of high tide (2 before and 2 after), then 5mph speed limit.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Ranger 519v is correct. The San Joaquin County OES written directive is incorrect.

Paragraphs 3a & 3b should both reference "orange" around Mildred Island ...... not "pink"
Ranger519v

Post by Ranger519v »

What's also not clear is what Orange routes have a 4 hour closed window and which have a 2 hour. Sounds like around Mildred is 2-hour but where are the boundary cut-offs on this?
Bob
1997 Ranger 519DVS, 225 Mercury EFI, 12 and 9" HDS Gen 3s, 109 MG Tour, 10' Talons
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Ranger519v wrote:What's also not clear is what Orange routes have a 4 hour closed window and which have a 2 hour. Sounds like around Mildred is 2-hour but where are the boundary cut-offs on this?
The way I read it, the entire orange area has the 4 hour high tide restriction, 2 before and 2 after.

Inside Mildred is the only area with a 2 hour high tide restriction. It has also been designated as a place for water/jet skies, so it may get rough inside there.
"Mildred Island will be the designated recreational area for pleasure boaters in the south delta
area while waterway closures remain in effect. This area can be used by Wake-Board boaters,
Waver-Runners, Jet Skis, Water Skiers, etc. with the following restrictions:
a. 5MPH (No Wake) speed restriction for all boaters on the Pink highlighted route
described above, one hour before posted high tide, through one hour after posted high
tide."
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
obsessed fisherman

Post by obsessed fisherman »

Clear as .... muddy water!
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

mark poulson wrote:The way I read it, the entire orange area has the 4 hour high tide restriction, 2 before and 2 after.
You may be right Mark ..... the directive is poorly written to start with, I am fairly sure 3a & 3b should both read "orange". Since I like to fish around Mildred, I sent an email to SJC OES and asked them to clarify the Mildred rules..... we will see what happens
Ben520

Post by Ben520 »

:o
Last edited by Ben520 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W.C

Post by W.C »

This is just to dang confusing! I guess I'll just fish the lakes til this delta stuff is situated better. What i don't understand is why do they let these Levees get this bad in the first place? Seems like they wait til the last minute or for something happens before they scramble to fix it. Look at the spillway in Orville, they knew about it way back in 2013..... Ugh!
Just frustrated.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Ben520 wrote:Very strange mark is the only one that can figure out all these govt.regulations.......just a thought :lol:
Years of drugs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY