Glide Bait Rod for "Medium" ~7" glides?

NorCalBassnPJ

Glide Bait Rod for "Medium" ~7" glides?

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

First off, if this is a topic that's already been covered, my apologies :lol: There are quite a few posts to search through on here so i figured i would just create a new topic with my own question. Mainly just want some input on a good quality Glide Bait rod that has more of a moderate tip to it. I'm up in Redding and if I ever by chance hook in to a giant Spot I want to be able to make sure those trebles stay pinned but don't rip out the lips on the bass. I'm moving towards more moderate action rods to throw my glides on now because of that whole treble aspect and me not wanting to lose a nice bass due to throwing too stiff of an action on a rod not necessarily meant for it. Around here a lot of the guys that throw them throw them on big deep cranking sticks. That's the direction i'm likely going to go. But, with that said. i've been trying to narrow down on varieties of rod brands with what rods i use. I'd like to stick with Dobyns or Powell since those are the two companies I've really found a liking to with the rods and their respective blanks. Though I looked at a Phenix crankbait x-14 and x-15 yesterday just to see how much i liked the composite blank and I really liked the slower taper bend as well as the backbone to it. Seems like it would be a perfect glide bait type of setup. However, open to any and all suggestions. Trying to stay in the $100-$250 range for a dedicated 'mid-size' glide bait rod. I use mid-size lightly as some throw way bigger and some don't throw anything that big. Baits i would be throwing would be anywhere as small as a 168 sized Waver, to anything as big as a deps SS 175 or ABT 7" suicide glide. Thanks in advance!
Tony Lain

Re: Glide Bait Rod for "Medium" ~7" glides?

Post by Tony Lain »

I don't throw'em a lot of guide baits on my local lakes, but do throw guide baits on tournament tour in Northern Cal and at Havasu. I like the Daiwa Zillion Swim Bait series and my favorite is the 8' Heavy action rod. Great guides, handle length and light weight. Check out the link...

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/z ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Dobyns makes two shorter handle SB rods for Glide Baits. The traditional 13"-15" handles get in the way. We make a pair of 7'9" we call SBMT- (Swim Bait Mag Topwater) The rod you really need is Champ 795 SBMT. It was made for this.

THX!!!!!
NorCalBassnPJ

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

Thanks for the reply guys!! I just might have to pull the trigger on another Dobyns then haha. I actually have a 795SBMT in my arsenal already but i find myself using it for 6" ospreys, ABT Dirty Donkeys, Punkers, and A-rigs! So might not hurt to add another to the arsenal. Maybe before i pull the trigger i'll throw the glides around on it a little bit and see how i like how it works for them. Either way, i'm sure I will find one that works good for me for throwing em.