ETEC G2, Verado 4 stroke, Yamaha SHO 4 stroke what should I get? ?

bass343

ETEC G2, Verado 4 stroke, Yamaha SHO 4 stroke what should I get? ?

Post by bass343 »

Hello fellow fisherman and weekend warriors out there. I know there are allot of great outboard motors out there these days. But I need help deciding what to get for an outboard motor for my new 2017 Basscat I'm ordering this spring. I'm looking for pros and cons, the good and the bad. Any issues you've may have experienced no matter how big or small. Overall maintenance cost. Why should I go with what u think is best, based on personal experience. Please help me decide. I want to make the best choice I can. Thanks.
scott h

Re: ETEC G2, Verado 4 stroke, Yamaha SHO 4 stroke what should I get? ?

Post by scott h »

I can only speak about what I know, I have only ran Mercury motors as long as I have had a bass boat and I have never had any major issues Knock on wood. The motor I am currently running is the gen 1 2005 Verado mounted on a Triton 21x, And is coming up on 12 years old. I am the original owner and have broke in and serviced it as the manual prescribes since day one. This motor Has been my absolute favorite of them all but I have to admit I was a little hesitant to convert from a two stroke because that was all I had known and now I would never go back! I have close to 750 hours on this motor and top speed I have ever achieved with my setup is 75.4 mph on lowrance Gps by myself 1/4 tank of fuel and a light tackle load, Tournament loaded with a full tank of gas two medium sized guys all of my tackle and two full livewells I can run 71-72 mph to this day, not bad for a 12 year old motor.

The Things I like about the motor-
1) Quiet!
2) Power steering, meaning absolutely no tourque to the right or left at any time.I can let go of the wheel at any speed and it will track straight all day long, I can literally turn the wheel with my pinky finger it is that smooth.
3) No oil to refill or buy! with the services costing pretty close to the same annually it is a no brainer.
4) It is very dependable, there are some government agencies that have in excess of 2500 hours on these motors

Things I don't like about the motor-
1) Nothing! I will be ordering my next boat with a 250 Mercury Verado Hands down.
Last edited by scott h on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Evinrudes have served me well for over 20 years. Based upon the reliability I've had from Evinrude, I'd get the G2. They're currently coming with a 10 year warranty.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

You'll get many answers here. All are good engines. I have ran Evinrude for last 12-13 years with great luck. The new G2 is best engine I've ever ran. It's quiet, efficient, and powerful. If you're around Norcal I can demo ride one for you. Plus no one will touch their 10 year warranty. It's a boat show season special for now at least, ending on March 31st then 5 years. But these things have a way of running again usually.
dbgreg

Post by dbgreg »

This is my first post on Western Bass. I purchased a new 2016 Ranger 520C with Evinrude G2 250 from C&C marine to step up and start fishing the WWBT Pro - Ams and FLW. I have had all brands including 4 Mercs in the last 30 years on 6 boats. Hands down the G2 is the best engine I have ever owned. I already have 154 hours in 10 months. No service required for 500 hours. I have 7 years of warranty. Better hole shot then my Merc 300 Pro Max on a Viper. 72-75 MPH all day on my Ranger 520C. Incredible water pressure running through Delta grass and slop. My focus is now 100% on catching winning fish and starting to pay off in recent results. Looking forward to collecting an extra $10,000 when I win a WWBT Pro-Am. I am not sponsored by anyone but my own wallet and would buy the Evinrude G2 over any other engine again.
Tinobass

Post by Tinobass »

dbgreg wrote:This is my first post on Western Bass. I purchased a new 2016 Ranger 520C with Evinrude G2 250 from C&C marine to step up and start fishing the WWBT Pro - Ams and FLW. I have had all brands including 4 Mercs in the last 30 years on 6 boats. Hands down the G2 is the best engine I have ever owned. I already have 154 hours in 10 months. No service required for 500 hours. I have 7 years of warranty. Better hole shot then my Merc 300 Pro Max on a Viper. 72-75 MPH all day on my Ranger 520C. Incredible water pressure running through Delta grass and slop. My focus is now 100% on catching winning fish and starting to pay off in recent results. Looking forward to collecting an extra $10,000 when I win a WWBT Pro-Am. I am not sponsored by anyone but my own wallet and would buy the Evinrude G2 over any other engine again.
What he says .. yup 100 % the real dealeo !!!
phoneman

Post by phoneman »

Like others have said you will many opinions on this subject. The old Chevy vs Ford...... In my experience I've owned all three brands (Yamaha..Evinrude...Merc..). I would tell you to call mutiple dealers and ask to speak to a mechanic on this subject. They will tell you the truth. Most of the guys who are sponsored by whatever company push there products. Also those who have true sponsors usally only have there boats for a season. I can PM you my mechanic if you'd like he's a certified Yamaha & Evinrude dealer and a true mechanic. He personally only runs Yamaha. I switched to 4 stroke about 2 years ago I can tell you I will never go back. Quiet...not constantly buying oil... My 2 cents...
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

I'm not sponsored by anyone...a true nobody. Just a guy who has ran Evinrudes for 20 years with no blow powerheads or lower units, injectors, or really even major repairs. They have earned my continued business. I'd like to repower with a G2 someday, but my G1 hasnt given me any reason to repower. Those I have talked to with G2s have been very happy.
scott h

Post by scott h »

OOPS! I forgot to write I am not sponsored by a motor company in my above post. :mrgreen: Great posts by all, I like a positive thread, we need more of that here!
I would take Gary up on that demo ride, you get first hand experience of performance. Not saying anyone wouldn't take you on a ride but sponsored anglers would certainly be more willing to, If you happen to be around the delta one of these days bring a rod and we can take a ride in my boat and you can experience a 12 year old Verado. lol
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
bass343

Post by bass343 »

Thank you all who replied to my post. It's going to help me decide when that time comes to order my new 2017 BassCat. To top it off, I will be going to the Classic Expo in Houston this weeekend. I will be asking lots of questions for all three major outboard companies as well. I cant wait to hang out at the Classic Expo and watch the weighins.

Dan
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Out of the the makes you have listed I think the least reliable one is the SHO. I believe Yamaha is giving out free powerheads to owners. Their 3.3L HPDI was a dud as well but you don't hear to much about that either.

The Verado sounds nice but I hear they're gas hogs.
Merc's are pretty good on reliability and a safe bet for resale value.
The G2 is somewhat new and unknown but so far everything looks good. Who knows if in 5 years they will be the motor to get or the motor to avoid.

With that said I just sent off my check today for a new G2. I hear nothing but good about them and Gary backs em up so that's good enough for me.