Your opinion on how to handle fish pegged under the mat?

Ranger519v

Your opinion on how to handle fish pegged under the mat?

Post by Ranger519v »

I'm an above average punch and frog fishermen but after losing many hawgs that were pinned under the mat, I'm curious about how to best keep them on. I saw on a video once (Informative Fishermen maybe) where they recommended to NOT pin a hooked (punch) bass to the underside of the mat (but to instead give it some slack line?). They were saying that Once they are pegged and if they have room to wriggle, the mat works as leverage to free the hook.

What do others think/do? I can't bring myself to give them slack line as that has always been a cardinal sin in my years of fishing.
Bob
===========================================
1997 Ranger 519DVS, 225 Mercury EFI, 12 and 9" HDS Gen 3s, 109 MG Tour, 10' Talons
===========================================
SLOreefer

Re: Your opinion on how to handle fish pegged under the mat?

Post by SLOreefer »

If I can't get the boat in there (sometimes with the big motor) I'll give em some slack
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

No perfect answer here because situations are different. But, giving them slack would always be my last resort and I can't ever remember doing this.

Many anglers don't realize that pointing the rod at the fish eliminates the flex in the rod and gives you a LOT more pulling power. If the fish is hooked decent and I point the rod at them and pull, I'll either pull them out or pin them against the mat so they can't hardly move their head at and I'll go get them.

Again, situations very so no perfect answer. Good luck!!
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I have found over the years " if the fish is pinned in real "cheesy" or "slop" ! they tend to stay still ' & you can go in after them ! Gary is correct ! I would not give the fish any slack " just point rod tip strait at the fish & pull ! if you can't get the boat in ther' to get the fish?... only time I would give em slack is in a brush pile " lay down " dock piling ! & you know you would break off by pulling !.....
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

If they are stuck in hard cover (trees, rocks, fencepost, even tule clumps) I give them slack if I can't pull them out. If the cover is soft, I point the rod tip at the fish and pull. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't! I tend to lose fish in tournaments that I catch while fun fishing! Haha!
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Gary Dobyns wrote:No perfect answer here because situations are different. But, giving them slack would always be my last resort and I can't ever remember doing this.

Many anglers don't realize that pointing the rod at the fish eliminates the flex in the rod and gives you a LOT more pulling power. If the fish is hooked decent and I point the rod at them and pull, I'll either pull them out or pin them against the mat so they can't hardly move their head at and I'll go get them.

Again, situations very so no perfect answer. Good luck!!
I have to agree with Gary on this one and I am sure Mark will too. I don't give them slack at all, check it out keep that bend in the rod that fish is either there or it's gone but keep it pinned. When we punch fish we are using big hooks and big weights the last thing I want is for that 2oz weight to knock that hook loose by providing the slack in the line or give the fish a chance to take me to the cleaners. I keep em pinned and go in after them, most of the time they are still there sometimes they get off but keep that chin in the ****.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/