Father's Day Delta report

Kyle46N

Father's Day Delta report

Post by Kyle46N »

I was on the water early yesterday to beat the heat, but it's really was not that bad with the Delta breeze making it bearable. I started out in Little Potato with the frog and buzzbait combo. Had a few lazy attempts on the frog and a few small fish on the buzzbait but really couldn't get anything decent to eat on top. By 800 I had already started punching and throwing a blade bait on outside edges as the water started to come in. I caught a few more little fish on the blade bait, but nothing punching the grass. I actually punched till 2 pm with not a single fish to show for it. Other than Little Potato, I also fished several areas in the Old river connection to Franks. I did find a pattern that could put as many 1-2 lb fish in the boat as I wanted throwing a 4 in swimbait on an EWG inbetween the inner grass edge and levy's. They were chasing bait up against the rocks. I pulled 20 or so little fish out of those areas before I was sure there was nothing with any size in there. I finished the day by heading east on the S. Mokelumne above B&W's looking for vegetation but there really isn't much there.

Big picture, I was in awe of the Delta. This was my first time on it, and it's an incredible fishery. So much wildlife and fishable water. I've been fishing the Potomac river for the past 4 years, so there was some carry over in fishing a tidal river. Fishing that inside edge for example is something we do on the Potomac also. If anyone was out this weekend and put some better fish in the boat I would love to hear how you did it. I find it hard to believe I wasn't at least around SOME bigger fish, but I definitely couldn't get them to eat.
ILW

Re: Father's Day Delta report

Post by ILW »

Welcome to the Delta. Fished the weekend too. Had some morning bites but ours pretty much died when the tide turned. Our better fish were near moving water and healthy vegetation, weedlines and current. Been running into the little ones that you are talking about for several trips this year. It seems much more than other years.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Give it a week, it'll get better. Most bigger fish go nocturnal this time of year. However, you will still run into quality fish around the right grass with current, docks or mats with access to deep water.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Similar results here. The only thing we could get to go was ripping swim jigs from the grass and even those bites were half-hearted. It may be that the weed treatments are keeping the fish deeper and suspended but didn't spend the entire day on the water to determine that.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj