Baitcasting rod

Bass5851

Baitcasting rod

Post by Bass5851 »

What is a good bait casting rod that you would recommend? I am looking for a medium heavy. I am not really worried about the price I am just looking for a high quality bait casting rod.

Thanks
zdbm2004

Re: Baitcasting rod

Post by zdbm2004 »

Go to the classifieds section on here and see what brands are the most common. You’ll find out real quick what manufacturers are more popular. If price is not a biggie. Go support your local shop. They’ll probably carry more product of what sells. I plan on trying out a few of the Powell rods that’ll be coming out soon. Can’t go wrong with a 734.
zmyers
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Before anyone can make an educated recommendation, her are a couple of questions that you need to answer:
1. What technique will this rod be used for?
2. You stated you want a med/heavy power rod, what action do you want? (fast, mod fast, parabolic)
3. What type and weight lure will you be throwing?
4. What line?
5. What is your preferred length?
6. You said you are not worried about price, but you can get quality rods for anywhere from just under $100 to well over $400.

A rod is not a "one size fits all" investment. If you go out and lay down big bucks for a rod but it doesn't perform well for your chosen technique, you are going to be miserable with it. And almost every one on here will try to talk you into their personal choice of brand. I personally prefer Dobyns, someone else will prefer Powell, others will choose Daiwa or Shimano, some will want a rod from a custom rod builder. Hopefully this will give you some food for thought before you jump on the first thing that comes along.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
WRB

Post by WRB »

We tend to forget that application specific bass baitcasting rods are something made popular by Gary Dobyns about 10 years ago. Before that we all had and used medium heavy fast action bass rods between 6'6" to 7' . Brands like Lamiglas who solved the brittle issues with graphite rods, Fenwick who first introduced graphite rods, Phenix who pioneered Boron rods and Gary Loomis the rod designer at Lamiglas starting his own rod company introducing GLX bass rods.
We were more concerned about rod blank materials than how light weight the rods were or what Fuji guides and handle they all used.
Don Iovino's doodling rods were the 1st application specific rods I can recall. Yes we had our glass crankbait rods, like Fenwick popping rods and Sabre Calico bass rods for swimbaits in the early 80's.
A good quality all around MH fast action bass rod like Dobyns Champion DX744C S/H would be my suggestion today.
Tom
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

It sounds to me like you want a good quality Medium Heavy Rod one that fits a variety of applications. Which is a great call, cause i think the medium heavy is really the work horse rod in bass fishing. Sure these days we have a great variety of specific actions for specific styles etc, which is awesome to have. But a solid all around MH rod for me would be the Dobyns Champion 704sf http://dobynsrods.com/rod/704sf/ If i wanted to step it up in terms of lightness and sensativity I would do the Champion Extreme http://dobynsrods.com/rod/dx-704c/

With a medium heavy rod you will have a rod that will be very versatile at covering a lot of bass fishing applications. L
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

Can't go wrong with. St Croix avid 7' MH
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I would look at the Phenix Rods. I know a lot of people fish them but you see very few for sale as used.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

If price isn't an issue and you decide on a Dobyns go with the Champ. Extremes over the Champions. I was disappointed with the Champions but the Extremes are top of the line.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
mahoney

Post by mahoney »

buy american get a loomis or cousins, support American companies not china.
Par

Post by Par »

St. Croix Avid series 7 foot medium heavy with extra fast tip.
Sponsored by Murph's Mule Barn
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

If I had to pick one rod, it would be a 7'3" med. heavy with a fast tip. The key is having a soft enough tip to load with whatever bait you're throwing, and still be strong enough to set the hook and control big fish. An extra fast tip makes casting lighter baits more difficult.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

If looking for an all around bass rod I'll also recommend something in 7'3" in length. This is just a great length for the last 8-10 years. Before that it was 6'6" to 7'. Depending on what baits you'd like to fish the most with this rod, it would help determine my recommendation. Please feel free to call us at 530-671-1989 for rod recommendations and ideas. We love to talk rods and help when we can. THX!!!!
Bass5851

Post by Bass5851 »

thank you all that help find the perfect rod

thanks