Fishing Crankbaits?

RJB

Fishing Crankbaits?

Post by RJB »

When you guys are fishing crankbaits on lakes or in Delta, are your crankbaits always digging into the bottom of the lake or digging against the rocks along levees? Basically do I want my bait always contacting the bottom? Any advice would be great! Thanks
Kyle46N

Re: Fishing Crankbaits?

Post by Kyle46N »

I've thrown them a decent amount on the Delta, and I can say when I've been able to get the cranks to bump into rip rap, I get bit much more. I've had difficulty finding rip rap banks that have rocks which extend past the hydrilla line that extends out from shore. I've fished a few areas on the San Joaquin that had this type of set up. Now, when I'm throwing squarebills, I rarely have them run into grass....at least right now anyhow. During the winter and this time of year there seems to be that slime/hair grass on all the hydrilla and gets on the crank easily. If I get clean hydrilla, I'll run it into the tops.
Zak Elrite

Re: Fishing Crankbaits?

Post by Zak Elrite »

Hey RJB, you definitely want to be bumping into rocks/stumps/wood/ticking grass/veg etc. The trick is learning the feeling of when to stop cranking after hitting said structure, to either illicit a strike or keep your bait from really hanging up. You’re on the right track !
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
Bagel Bar, Mercury Marine, Lowrance, Coyote Bait & Tackle, Ben Green Insurance, G-Funk Baits, Keitech, Spearpoint Hooks, Dobyns Rods, Lews Reels, Bucknbass