Trip to Potholes Reservoir

ttb31183

Trip to Potholes Reservoir

Post by ttb31183 »

I made a trip to Potholes in eastern/central Washington yesterday and the fishing was very good. It is one of my favorite waters anywhere in the country but I don't fish it near enough. If you have ever been there you understand how cool the layout is. Hundreds (maybe thousands) of sand dunes with brush, beaver huts, trees and more. It is really a flippin and pitching paradise.

The main lake has rocks and isands and is a great place to catch some big smallmouth. We split our time between "the dunes" and the mainlake and were able to boat around 20 smallmouth and 20 largemouth.

We started off with the smallies and even though we only spent an hour or so, the bite was on. I was catching most on a red Ima Pinjack 200 but it didn't seem to matter as we tried tons of different baits and still caught them when they were biting. The Pinjack is a confidence bait for me so I threw it most of the time. We didn't catch any giants but they were all 1.5 to 3 pounds and put up a fun fight.

For the largemouth we caught them on swimjigs, chatterbaits and spinnerbaits. Again, no one thing stood out. I was fishing with a buddy in an aluminum boat and we were able to get way back into some tight spots with ease.

The areas were so out of the way that there was no mapping for Navionics. I was recording the sonar from his Lowrance to my app so the mapping will be better soon.

Tyler Brinks