Portable jump for crank battery

dparel

Portable jump for crank battery

Post by dparel »

Wondering if anyone has used one that is quality and have had success with it. Had my crank die on the water running finders, liwewell and camera off nav port. So thought I'd get something if it happens again. Read some reviews on a couple that were terrible so thought maybe I could get some input here. Thanks ahead of time.
bustout

Re: Portable jump for crank battery

Post by bustout »

just carry jumper cables on boat and use trolling motor battery to jump crank battery
bustout

Post by bustout »

as I think more about it. I think your battery needs replaced. If it cant power livewells and electronics all day, something wrong with battery. Unless.....you have your trolling mtr connected to cranker and that is reason cranker cant crank, you should think about battery switch and add another battery to your boat.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

bustout wrote:just carry jumper cables on boat and use trolling motor battery to jump crank battery
Yup, jumper cables have worked for me for many years
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

I think having a jump box gives me peace of mind.
Originally I carried a low dollar unit that only had marginal performance.
I am not endorsing anyone do what I did but I now have the GB 150 Boost Pro from Nocco.
This jump starter is a beast and frankly expensive, but it will jump start a diesel truck....ask me how I know :D
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I used to carry jumper cables until I bought a Troll Bridge system. It charges ALL of your batteries when the big motor is running, and will automatically "Borrow" power from the Trolling batteries to start the big motor if needed. I have gone to Clear Lake for 4 days and never had to plug my charger in at night !!!

http://www.yandina.com/index.htm
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
dparel

Post by dparel »

Brand new boat Dec of last year. Have two batteries for 24v trolling motor and separate crank. Put on two helix 10s and crank was low on all day trip. Helix warned me voltage was low. Last trip (4 hours prob) crank died and didn't even mount finders. Had GoPro in back nav port running and I think I clicked live well on continuous on accident (newbie here). I have a tracker pro team 175 and have heard of two other guys having battery problems.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

I carry jumper cables and this Jump and carry 660. It is fairly big but I think it will do a better job than the little jump starters and it has good reviews with a proven track record. RR

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

bustout wrote:as I think more about it. I think your battery needs replaced. If it cant power livewells and electronics all day, something wrong with battery. Unless.....you have your trolling mtr connected to cranker and that is reason cranker cant crank, you should think about battery switch and add another battery to your boat.
dparel wrote:Brand new boat Dec of last year. Have two batteries for 24v trolling motor and separate crank. Put on two helix 10s and crank was low on all day trip. Helix warned me voltage was low. Last trip (4 hours prob) crank died and didn't even mount finders. Had GoPro in back nav port running and I think I clicked live well on continuous on accident (newbie here). I have a tracker pro team 175 and have heard of two other guys having battery problems.
I agree with Bustout. I have a Ranger RT178, new in Dec of 2013 that came with an Interstate battery, rated at 400 CCA. Fished all of 2014, no problem. Fished 2015, started having problems about halfway through the year. Nursed it along through the remainder of '15, and all of '16 but still had my share of problems. Finally got tired of messing with it, bit the bullet and bought an Optima blue top, 750 CCA. A bit pricey, but well worth the peace of mind. I still carry my jumper cables, though
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Last 2 months I have towed several boats in with bad starting batteries. When I had my boat serviced I was telling my service guy about towing the boats he suggested a battery switch. It turns everything off or to batteries 1 or 1&2 or 2.

Glad I got it, now my trolling batteries are my jumping system, with 1 flip of the switch.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Just a heads up on batteries, Costco sells group 27 interstate marine batteries and Sam's club sells Duracell group 31 marine batteries for $179.00 with an 18 month warranty.

I currently run Interstates group 31 with a 36 month warranty. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

EverStart Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC at Walmart. $87.
1 year free replacement warranty
Marine Cranking Amps: 845
Ive got 4 of them in my Ranger.
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

I've wondered about this for a while. When jump starting from a trolling motor battery do you have to disconnect the trolling motor battery from the other trolling motor battery in the series? Will it only deliver 12 volts as long as you only use the terminals of the same battery?
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Jeff C. wrote:I've wondered about this for a while. When jump starting from a trolling motor battery do you have to disconnect the trolling motor battery from the other trolling motor battery in the series? Will it only deliver 12 volts as long as you only use the terminals of the same battery?
In answer to your questions, (a) no; (b) yes. If you use the terminals on the same battery, you are essentially isolating the other battery in the series. The only way it will deliver 24v (or 36v in the case of a three battery TM) is if you connect to the positive terminal of one battery and the negative terminal of the other battery(s) in series.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Stratos278 wrote:
Jeff C. wrote:I've wondered about this for a while. When jump starting from a trolling motor battery do you have to disconnect the trolling motor battery from the other trolling motor battery in the series? Will it only deliver 12 volts as long as you only use the terminals of the same battery?
In answer to your questions, (a) no; (b) yes. If you use the terminals on the same battery, you are essentially isolating the other battery in the series. The only way it will deliver 24v (or 36v in the case of a three battery TM) is if you connect to the positive terminal of one battery and the negative terminal of the other battery(s) in series.
Thanks for your reply. I carry jumper cables, but I always thought I'd have to disconnect one of my TM batteries from the other before I jumped my cranking battery.
Fortunately, I haven't had to do it, so far anyway.
I use a deep cycle battery for my cranking battery, so I can run my electronics and livewell all day without worrying about not being able to crank my big motor at the end of the day.
I have a 115 Optimax. Maybe bigger motors require more cranking amps, and that may not work for them.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY