New ProXs

drew

New ProXs

Post by drew »

So what's everyone's opinion of the new four stroke V8 ProXs?

I like spec's and think I could come to terms with the look. My only concern is the reliability since it much more complex then the 3l two stroke it replaces.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/eng ... rd/pro-xs/
birdman920

Re: New ProXs

Post by birdman920 »

even though engine manufacturers spend years developing new generation motors before they are put on the market “ every single new gen motor has bugs for the 1st year or 2 ! I bet the new Mercs will be awesome !... but I would wait a year or two ? let someone else be the “guini pig” ?.....
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

So if one is in the market for a new boat/motor you buy a unit with an obsolete motor? :roll:
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Lol let the pros and sponsored people run the motors for a year to see what kind of bugs and problems arise. Then make a decision on whether or not to get one. Here on the west coast, there are more mercury mechanics than anything. They all know how to work on Opti’s. It will be a while before they get trained and schooled on the new motors. I would wait at least a year before making a new motor decision.
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

Agree on waiting to see the bugs get worked out, unfortunately I blew my powerhead (Merc 225) on my 2002 Coral family fish/ski this winter. I've been saving up and ready to pull the trigger on a repower. What to do!?
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Find a deal on an 18’ 225 pro xs! :D
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

Great idea. I do not think there are any new ones available. Mercury stopped the production months ago. I heard tons of dealers got shorted motors.
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

I just bought a 250 Merc 2 stroke this year with 8 year warranty. Here's part of my logic.

In 2001, I had a new YAM 200 HPDI, SN 2001202. Number 202 off the line, F''n Grey Davis pushed for cleaner burning too fast. Blew up twice in 3 years (warranty covered). 5th year blew again, new power head (my cost). Last 11 years, ran perfectly and still going. Just turn the key and mash it. My buddy has the boat now.

I agree with waiting a little longer....