Cal Delta Fishing - Looking for a fishing buddy

Matthew Hardin

Cal Delta Fishing - Looking for a fishing buddy

Post by Matthew Hardin »

Hello All!

Very excited to join the forum, and I really appreciate the work everyone puts into posting helpful articles. It is helping me learn quickly. I'm a Utah native who recently moved to Concord, CA with my family.

I am obsessed with bass fishing. I've been fly fishing for trout my entire life but have only been on a few bass trips. Living here near the delta and so many great lakes I know I have to learn. I'm putting in the legwork and time myself. Walked the shore of Berryessa from dawn to dusk last week, did pretty good. Driving out to the delta Friday and Saturday to start the exploring process.

I'm not sure if this is a weird thing to ask on a forum but would anyone be willing to have a fishing buddy along? It's tough to make new fishing friends in a new area, and though I'm going to learn one way or another I would rather do it with a friend who knows the area. Always happy to cover expenses of course.

Thinking about joining the Contra Costa Bass Club but that seems so official and focused on tournament fishing. Would just love to meet other bank or boat fishermen and make some friends who enjoy company.

Tight lines, looking forward to hearing from a few of you!

Matt
monte300

Re: Cal Delta Fishing - Looking for a fishing buddy

Post by monte300 »

My advice is to join a bass club as a non boater and don't think of it as so much as being an official tournament fisherman. Instead, think of it as surrounding yourself with like minded people. Oh sure there are tournaments, but they are low cost, low pressure events. You can learn a ton about the sport from more experienced anglers that are more than happy to help you learn. Just my two cents......
Matthew Hardin

Post by Matthew Hardin »

Thanks, you're probably right i may be overthinking it. It looks like the clubs are full right now so I'll just keep plugging away in the meantime.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Matthew Hardin wrote:Thanks, you're probably right i may be overthinking it. It looks like the clubs are full right now so I'll just keep plugging away in the meantime.
http://www.deltabassclub.com/
MT

Post by MT »

Keep that flyrod handy. Those Delta bass will absolutely hammer a foam popper as well as the stripers. Welcome to California.
Matthew Hardin

Post by Matthew Hardin »

MichaelB, thanks for the link! I hadn't seen these guys yet, I will be there at their next meeting!

MT, thanks for the welcome. My fly rod stays in my trunk and I am excited to throw some bugs with it!
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Matthew Hardin wrote:MichaelB, thanks for the link! I hadn't seen these guys yet, I will be there at their next meeting!
Our next meeting is Thursday June 28 at Dads Cafe in Brentwood ..... so not too far from Concord.
Review the membership details at following link:
http://www.deltabassclub.com/membership.html
DYOLLPSTER

Post by DYOLLPSTER »

The delta can be a little tough. I've been re learning it myself after moving out of state and coming back. So much has changed. Anyway, I live in Concord too, near Oak Grove and Treat. Feel free to send me an email at Peter.william.lloyd@gmail.com, and we can go hit the water. I have a bass boat, and I am generally free on the weekends. The summer time is good for afternoon/evening fishing on the Delta. I work in Pleasant Hill, so I plan to take off early a few days this summer to hit the delta, so that may work as well during the week.