Here they are... Bassmaster's 2018 Best Bass Lakes in America

WB Staff

Here they are... Bassmaster's 2018 Best Bass Lakes in America

Post by WB Staff »

Bassmaster Magazine has released the 2018 rankings for the 100 Best Bass Lakes in America.jpg
Bassmaster Magazine has released the 2018 rankings for the 100 Best Bass Lakes in America, and Sam Rayburn Reservoir, Texas, has been named the No. 1 fishery in the country.
Photo by B.A.S.S.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — After three years of hovering in the Top 5 of Bassmaster Magazine’s 100 Best Bass Lakes rankings, Texas’ Sam Rayburn Reservoir finally takes the crown for being the best bass lake in the nation for 2018.

The storied Lone Star State fishery has never ranked below 26th in the seven years the rankings have been published. However, the 114,500-acre lake started showing out in 2015, when it climbed to fifth. In 2016 it jumped to fourth. And last year, Rayburn was the bridesmaid, sitting in second place. But, Rayburn is a bridesmaid no more, and for the first time captures the title.

“Although there were some pretty spectacular numbers being produced from other lakes this year, Rayburn was a clear No. 1,” said James Hall, editor of Bassmaster Magazine. “While some lakes were boasting of a single 30-pound, five-bass limit being caught, Rayburn was spitting them out in rapid succession. And to top it off, a 40.28-pound limit was recorded in June.”

Countless limits of solid fish aren’t the only thing special about this lake.

“When it comes to double-digit bass, Rayburn also seems to top the list this year,” Hall continued. “Three 10-pounders were weighed in during a one-day February derby. Plus, a 12.05 and a 13.06 were landed here in March. The lake is simply on fire right now.”

The process to create the rankings takes about three months to complete. Data is received from state fisheries agencies across the U.S. This is coupled with catch data collected from dozens of tournament organizations across the country from the past 12 months. After the numbers are crunched, a blue-ribbon panel from the bass fishing industry debates the strength of the lakes, then settles on the final rankings.

The rankings identify the Top 10 lakes in the nation regardless of location, as well as the Top 25 lakes in four geographical divisions. “By dividing the Top 100 into four regions, anglers have perspective on fisheries nearby,” Hall explained.

Tennessee’s Chickamauga Lake, which takes the No. 2 slot this year, made a strong argument for No. 1, as it also produced 40-plus-pound limits this spring. Yes, that was plural — two five-fish limits exceeding 42 pounds were landed this year. Although this 36,240-acre fishery hasn’t produced quite as many big fish as Rayburn, there were two bass over 10 pounds recorded here since February, the biggest weighing 11.21 pounds.

California’s Clear Lake landed in the No. 3 position on the strength of its production of big largemouth...

Read the rest including the full western list: https://www.westernbass.com/article/bas ... -announced
JoeLanghans

Re: Here they are... Bassmaster's 2018 Best Bass Lakes in America

Post by JoeLanghans »

This top ten list might actually be written by monkeys... I agree, Sam Rayburn and clear lake, but Diamond Valley in the top ten, crazy. How bout the Delta or Berryessa not even making the top 10. Also, I think it’s time to put Coeur d’Alene in the top 10. Soo dumb
Stratos278

Re: Here they are... Bassmaster's 2018 Best Bass Lakes in America

Post by Stratos278 »

It gets even crazier when you read the regional placings. I mean Perris? Sure, there may be a few big fish but in the tourney cited in the article, the winners couldn't even catch a limit. And at 2,250 acres it's little more than a pond. And where's Bullard's Bar? Don't world records mean anything? It's just as crazy in the Central...I mean, Fork, rated at only 25th? And the only reason Conroe is ranked (IMO) is that the Classic was held there. LBJ, good luck there dodging the pleasure boats and jet fleas. And Ray Roberts is on the way back but not Top 25 material. I'm not that familiar with the Northeast and Southeast lakes, but I'm sure those rankings are, in part, flawed as well.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"