Best Length For Heavy Jig / Big Worm Rod

Jeff Warren

Best Length For Heavy Jig / Big Worm Rod

Post by Jeff Warren »

I've been looking at some 7', 7'3", 7'4", and 7'6" rods with a 4 power for heavier jigs (1/2 oz and up) as well as large worms. Any suggestions? I see the advantage of further castability with the longer rods and I've read that you get a better hook set. Are there any other advantages either way? Thanks
reddog

Re: Best Length For Heavy Jig / Big Worm Rod

Post by reddog »

7'4" to 7'6" for those applications is what I prefer. the "Lite" series from Lews fishing are very nice for the price as well as the Custom Pros. The endurance series from Powell are also very good for the money and the.....ready Duckett Triad series in 7'6" is a great option at a great price.
Jeff Warren

Post by Jeff Warren »

reddog wrote:7'4" to 7'6" for those applications is what I prefer. the "Lite" series from Lews fishing are very nice for the price as well as the Custom Pros. The endurance series from Powell are also very good for the money and the.....ready Duckett Triad series in 7'6" is a great option at a great price.
Thank you!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I use the Dobyn's Champion Series 735 7'3" 5 power rod for my jig fishing. I like the versatility in a 7'3 and taking up line slack is not an issue when paired with a 7.3:1 or better reel as well. Some guys like a really long rod but for me the 7'3 is money, I wouldnt go longer then 7'6 personally.

Tight Lines
Ash
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Hi Jeff,

We make all lengths of rods that will be excellent Jig rods. I personally fish and "push" guys towards the longer rods. There's just advantages to casting, hook-sets, and putting more fish in the boat. Be sure the rod is balanced as it'll be much more fun to fish with and more sensitive. Lots of positives to balanced rods. Beware, just because a company says "balanced" doesn't mean that it is at all. Pick it up for yourself. You never said a price point here so I'm not sure which direction to recommend. We have jig rods in all Series. The best being the DX 744 or DX 745. Give our office a call for rod recommendations anytime. We do this a lot so we're pretty good at it. 530-671-1989 THX!!!!!
Jeff Warren

Post by Jeff Warren »

ash wrote:I use the Dobyn's Champion Series 735 7'3" 5 power rod for my jig fishing. I like the versatility in a 7'3 and taking up line slack is not an issue when paired with a 7.3:1 or better reel as well. Some guys like a really long rod but for me the 7'3 is money, I wouldnt go longer then 7'6 personally.

Tight Lines
Ash
Thank you!
Jeff Warren

Post by Jeff Warren »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Hi Jeff,

We make all lengths of rods that will be excellent Jig rods. I personally fish and "push" guys towards the longer rods. There's just advantages to casting, hook-sets, and putting more fish in the boat. Be sure the rod is balanced as it'll be much more fun to fish with and more sensitive. Lots of positives to balanced rods. Beware, just because a company says "balanced" doesn't mean that it is at all. Pick it up for yourself. You never said a price point here so I'm not sure which direction to recommend. We have jig rods in all Series. The best being the DX 744 or DX 745. Give our office a call for rod recommendations anytime. We do this a lot so we're pretty good at it. 530-671-1989 THX!!!!!
Thank you sir! I appreciate the info! And yes, the DX series is what I had my eye on. I'll give them a ring! Thanks again!!
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

My favorite heavy jig/big worm rod is the Daiwa Tatula Elite 7'4" rod. Ish Monroe designed this rod for open water Frog fishing, great rod for Frogs, but I also use it for jigs/worms and pitching Senkos: check out the specs in this link - http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
george

Post by george »

Spiralite is a rod you need to at the least check out, it is relatively new to the market but it is definitely one of the best designed rod concepts ever. I have been throwing the 7'4" MHF and the 7'6"MHF for all jigs 3/8 to 3/4oz. These rods are so versatile and light that you can be using them one day on the motherlode for slow crawling a jig at 30' to pitching a 5/8oz to delta or Clearlake grass mats the next. The sensitivity of the Spiralite Defiant series is crazy and all for $200. Do yourself a favor and get one in your hands to test, you will be amazed!
WRB

Post by WRB »

The trend is for longer rods, my 1/2 oz jig roqs are 5 and 6 power, only 6'10", perfect for my style of making very long 50 yd casts and using my reel mostly to move the jig and initiate hooks sets with a hard rod sweep into tight line. The keys to successful casting jigs is strike detection, rod held too high with uncontrolled slack you can't detect strikes unless the bass swims off with the jig.
A reel set using 8:1 ratio moves a lot more line faster then the a long rod can.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Hi Jeff,

Call them. They will figure out what will work well for you, depending on your fishing style. How you fish, where you fish, what line you use, how tall and/or strong you are, all come into play. Those folks can really help.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Jeff Warren

Post by Jeff Warren »

Thank you all for the info!