Beating the Heat

ttb31183

Beating the Heat

Post by ttb31183 »

This past week or so has been extremely hot for our region. Temperatures around 100 are not normal and when it gets to 104, 105 and 106...that is very unusual. I still made it out a few times and the fishing was great.

My last trip was to Newman Lake, a small lake outside of Spokane and I boated a 20-pound limit by 10:00. It was fast and furious in the morning and I was able to catch some on topwater, jigs and finesse stuff.

One of the biggest smallmouths of the day was this one that weighed 4.41lbs and ate an ima Finesse Popper. I really like that all black color for topwater, especially with smallmouth. I caught four solid smallies that morning and they were fighting hard with several jumps each.

I caught a handful of largemouth with a drop-shot and landed this one that was 4.65lbs and came as I pitched my jig to a dock. It was my first pitch of the day and it worked. I then pitched quite a few more without a single bite so it must have just been the perfect time to pick up a jig.

Once I figured out that most of the smallies were coming from 15 feet of water, I switched my Navionics app to show 15-20 as one color. This was one of the spots I was catching them on and you can easily see the underwater hole as it is much shallower on both sides.

I'm planning to get back out tomorrow to try to match my success from my last trip.
Tyler Brinks