Removing algae stains from aluminum hull

tailhook

Removing algae stains from aluminum hull

Post by tailhook »

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new here but am a long time visitor/reader.

Long story short, I had my RT178 parked in the water for a few weeks this summer and a bad algae bloom left its mark on the aluminum hull. I took a power washer to it after spraying it down the 409, but it didn't even faze it. Scrubbing with elbow grease and dawn worked with minimal results - it's on there good. So I started searching around for a better method.

I read that a muriatic acid + water solution is effective, but I'm afraid of it etching the surface and possibly splashing and damaging the painted area of the hull.

I've also seen that there are specific cleaners for aluminum hulls (Algex, Star Brite etc) but some of them are pricey and the reviews on their performance are questionable.

Anyone have any other solutions or products they use for this type of thing? Thanks in advance...
rico

Re: Removing algae stains from aluminum hull

Post by rico »

I'm not saying this will work but I've used BarKeepers Friend to clean a lot of different things, including the bottom of frying pans. It's a powder
similar to Comet and comes in a tall can with a gold label. You can get it at Walmart. Mix it with water to form a thin paste and let it sit for a few minutes. Hope this helps
WRB

Post by WRB »

Star Brite hull cleaner.
Tom
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Clay bar with lots of spray
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Ducky Products Extreme HARDWATER stain remover. Ducky Products.com....its orange....great product! Clearlake algae doesn't stand a chance against it!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

There are lots of products out there that will probably do the job, as long as you follow the directions.
Whatever you decide to use, do a small test spot on the face of the transom, so you can learn how that product will work without doing damage to a large section, in case it's bad.
Most products that really clean aluminum boat hulls have caustic chemicals in them, because they are designed to remove hard water scale, so have lots of rinse water and rags on hand, and use rubber gloves.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
milehi

Post by milehi »

Used to keep my old aluminum boat on the lake fall thru spring, fine steel wool,0000, with pretty much anything did the trick. Got to using silicone spray for some reason, did this for over 20 years, worked great, doesn't scratch the hull at all