Co Anglers ... Will they become extinct... Thoughts?

WB Staff

Co Anglers ... Will they become extinct... Thoughts?

Post by WB Staff »

38 where will all the coanglers go bryan new flw.jpg
Bryan New above (an FLW Tour Co-angler... or should we say former FLW Tour Co-Angler and the 2014 Forrest Wood Cup co champion)

We had an article in this month's issue of WB mag on Co-Anglers being an endangered species... with some thoughts of FLW anglers and where that evolution goes.

Here is the read, if you missed it... https://storage.westernbass.com/mag_wb/ ... index.html

Kinda wondering on what more fisherman's throughts were on the co's future? or the org's futures without them?
george

Re: Co Anglers ... Will they become extinct... Thoughts?

Post by george »

I started fishing tournaments in the 80's as a Co-Angler and as I built up the confidence I graduated to the front of the boat. I found that most all of the Co's were new to the sport or new to tournament fishing and just needed to test the waters and gain the confidence of moving to the front of the boat!
I also found that many of the Co's had not gained the knowledge and experience of how to be competitive in a tournament setting so I put together a seminar series called "The Bass Class" where Pro speakers like Larry Hemphill, Gary Dobyns, Bobby Barrack, Andy "Cooch" Cuchia, Don Payne, Dee Thomas and Steve Sapp came in and shared their knowledge from every aspect of bass fishing and how to prepare for a tournament.

What I found was that the new guys learned, fished and gained the confidence to move to the front of the boat within a few years as well as they pulled their fishing buddies into tournament fishing and started the whole progression all over again!
As the economy crashed and burned in 2006-2010 so did the local and regional tournament promoters as well as the
anglers did not have the discretionary funds to fish a couple events a month, but as our economy has rebounded we are finding more and more folks are getting into or back into the competitive ranks!

I truly think that the entire progression of tournament bass fishing is about to start a new cycle and we will see a whole new generation of new anglers coming on board.

We just need to put some Pro-Am style tournament series together like the Nor-Cal events of the past and the anglers will show up again! Won Bass does about as good of a job of the Pro Am tournaments as we will see anywhere in the country and we just need to see more of these circuits on a lower fee and local level!

George
DDG

Post by DDG »

I believe regional level tours should have if desired Co-angler divisions, Pro/Am events. I think its a good entry to tournament level fishing as a pro.
I personally believe you should work through the ranks to become a professional angler.

There should be rules and parameters to fishing as a Co-angler as well, especially if you continue to win as a Co-angler, fishing the FLW events you notice alot of individuals continuing to do good and earn money but still do not take the move to the front of the boat, where as alot of Co-anglers are fishing as Co-anglers to win some money or a boat to gain the confidence to move to the front of the boat.

With that I think its great that the Tour level events eliminate the Co-anglers, if you are at the level of fishing nationally as a Co-angler, you should probably atleast be attempting to fish as a Pro at-least regionally in the opens or costa level events.

I think this would continue to build the integrity of the sport of bass fishing and legitimize what it means to be a professional angler.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Before there were Co-Anglers there were Pro/Am events and before that there were Pro-Pro events where two pros fished from the same boat and split the day. These even extended to local events like the Redman series. I think there is certainly a place for Pro/Am on the local and regional levels. But I think they need to be conducted as a Pro/Am not as a Pro-Angler/Co-Angler and there is a distinction. Having an Am in the boat helps less skilled anglers develop their skills and knowledge, both of fishing and tournaments. The Am can also be a "referee" of sorts though I am sure some would be intimidated or reluctant to call a foul. But having them in the boat likely would discourage most boaters from cheating. I have fished as an Am and as Pro at the local level during the West Coast Bass and Anglers Choice days. It was a great experience and helped me decide how seriously I wanted to pursue competitive fishing. I hope that local Pro/Am and similar tournaments will continue. On the National level like FLW, BASS and BPT, where a lot of money and sponsorships are in play, I don't think there is a place for co-anglers. The organizations seem to be able to attract non-fishing marshals who are willing to pay for the experience. This gives the pros a full opportunity to fish without distraction or risk of having someone else in the boat catching or spooking fish that they need to compete.
fishinfool145

Post by fishinfool145 »

I read the article. I have mixed feelings.

Without a doubt, Pro/am tournaments breed the next generation of Pros. I am sure that they will not go away at the regional levels.

Shared weight vs solo weight. I think there is room for both. Shared weight first, step up to solo. I've done both.

At the highest pro levels, I have mixed feelings.

I was lucky enough to fish some of the BASS Elite from the back of the boat when they were here in Ca. I was even invited to pre-fish a couple of times. It was also interesting to see how many of the regional pro's were also fishing from the back seat during the Elites.

I can tell you that fishing the Elite was some of the most memorable and most educational tournaments I have ever fished. I was very disappointed when they decided not to allow the back seat to fish. However, I always kept in mind that these guys were fishing as a living to put food on the table.

Several times, I could see how my fishing effected them. Some times I was "back seated". One time I remember a very big name pro fished one particular spot that was loaded with big fish for 15 minutes while I dinked around in the back end of the boat. When he was done with the spot, without a hit, he said I could throw in. I was prepared with something completely different and got bit on the first cast, but missed. I never got a second chance. I didn't know a boat could go so fast on 36v high. lol. He clearly didn't want me to catch a fish that would help him later. On one hand I was a bit pissed that I didn't get a second cast, but on the other hand I completely understood. That fish might be a pay check for him. (would have been for me too, but I wasn't feeding my family with it.)

I've seen how my fishing effects the pro several times. I'm sure the pro has to fish different if someone in the back seat is catching fish that he left behind.

So yeah, I get it. At the highest levels where the Pros primary source of income is fishing, every fish I catch is potentially money taken away from his family. But dang, I really miss fishing the back seat at those levels.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Club team events is where most tournament bass anglers get their start. Our sport is changing with more kayak events that support the single tournament bass angler then big fast bass boats we all grew up fishing from. A co angler in a professional traditional bass tournament may be history.
Tom
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Any change of thoughts as the season has progressed?
Co-angler participation?
Teams etc?
Chad LeBlanc

Post by Chad LeBlanc »

Ill throw in my .02 here.

I have been fortunate to fish a lot of events as a co-angler; both on the national level and on the local/regional level. I think co anglers are good for our sport. I do believe, they are the future of our sport. I will throw one name out at ya! JUSTIN LUCAS.

LOCALLY. Co Anglers have an oppurtunity to learn from some of the best boaters in their respective states/areas. Co Anglers help with daily expenses, even if minimal, and they also assist the boater in netting or landing fish. You here it all the time; if I wouldve had a co angler, the fish wouldve made it in the boat. If you are fishing as a co angler the right way; respecting your boater; being ready to move when your boater is ready to move, limiting the number of rods and tackle you bring on the boat, there are no issues throughout the day and I have found that most pro's enjoy having a co angler.

On a national level; when a guy is fishing for a living. I do not think Co-Anglers should be on the boat. The pro needs every oppurtunity at the fish hes fishing for; to support his family and pay the bills.

Co-Anglers get a bad rap. Not sure why, or if people feel as if they are less of fisherman, but I assure you their are some Co-Anglers that I feel could fish against anybody on any body of water out here (WEST). The Jr Wrights, the Gary Haraguchi's and the Roy Desmangles from the back of the boat. If you talk to MOST boaters who have drawn these gentlemen; they would tell you, they are a pleasure to fish with; and welcome back on their boats anytime.

With the comment about a Co Angler moving to the front of the boat after certain success. I disagree. Careers, Family, and Obligations sometimes limit people when prefishing, traveling, etc. Would you want to hand 1k over to the guy staying next door to you because he got 3 days of practice to your 1??? Just my opinions on the matter. I hope the Co-Angler spot sticks around; for many reasons.

Chad
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

I started fishing the pro am events with won bass as well as club fishing back in the late 90's. I have fished with some of the best and not so good anglers. I went to the front of the boat in 2004 I learned so much from both venues club and pro ams. I did just fish the us open as a co angler because I didn't have the time or money to go pre-fish for two weeks, some of us still work and don't get paid to fish for weeks at a time. Could I have competed with everyone out there yes but 2 or 3 weeks in Vegas would disrupt my business and my income.
Bottom line we are not all paid sponsored fisherman and do what we can we can to do what we love and try to pay for it some way.
probably 30 % of the guys fishing the us open as backseaters are front seat boaters in tournaments but don't have the means or time to spend 30 days at lake mead, but they are still allowed to sign up and participate. I think the pro ams are a great way to introduce the new anglers to the sport and it would be a shame to see them go way. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be fishing near as much as I am or have the confidence to go out and compete.
Scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open