This one sunk three years ago.... Delta Clean Up

WB Staff

This one sunk three years ago.... Delta Clean Up

Post by WB Staff »

Delta Clean Up.jpg
Photo contributed This past weekend the California Department of Boating and Waterways, in conjunction with the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office boating unit, used a crane to lift this vessel – which sunk three years ago – out of the Delta as part of an effort to clean up the waterway.

Now that the warmer weather is here and more people are taking to the outdoors, local officials have put a renewed focus on making sure one of the area’s crown recreational jewels – the San Joaquin River Delta – is clear and operational.

Over the weekend the California Department of Boating and Waterways, in conjunction with the San Joaquin County Sherriff’s Office boating unit, removed a sunken vessel from the San Joaquin River that has been underwater for the past three years – posing a navigation hazard. Using a heavy crane to remove the boat from the bottom near Riviera Cliffs, the incident was photographed and shared widely on Facebook – including a comment from Sheriff Pat Withrow that “change is coming to the Delta.”

And Withrow wasn’t the only elected official that made sure that boaters in the area have a clear path when they take to the water.

Last week San Joaquin County Supervisor Tom Patti – who represents portions of Manteca and Lathrop – was contacted by a constituent that was concerned about a sunken boat that had been abandoned in the river.

Read it all: https://www.mantecabulletin.com/news/lo ... CrNVMJXg50
mark poulson

Re: This one sunk three years ago.... Delta Clean Up

Post by mark poulson »

A sailboat like that just sank in Taylor Slough.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I like to look at it as man made structure.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
bent70

Post by bent70 »

mark poulson wrote:A sailboat like that just sank in Taylor Slough.
Was it my neighbor..... :( :mrgreen:
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

bent70 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:A sailboat like that just sank in Taylor Slough.
Was it my neighbor..... :( :mrgreen:
I hope they can get it floating again. It sank where it was moored, right against the dock.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I heard years ago it costs the state $1500 to remove a 14’ wooden boat. Can you imagine what it must cost to get the gear out there to remove truly big boats?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Can they trace ownership and bill the owner for the cost?
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Pat wrote:Can they trace ownership and bill the owner for the cost?
I've heard if a boat hasn't been registered for four straight years the state loses track of ownership. Not sure if that's true? Does anyone know if that's even remotely true?