Clear Lake Report 6/6/2019

On The Water Guide Service

Clear Lake Report 6/6/2019

Post by On The Water Guide Service »

IMG_0698.JPG
An early summer pattern is finally beginning to emerge up here at Clear Lake. I couldn't hardly believe how much rain we got in the month of May and there was plenty of wind to go with it. The lake level has been holding relatively steady with the Rumsey gauge at 7.39 and water temps have been ranging from the low to mid 70's for the most part. Both ends of the lake have decent water clarity with about 2' to 3 1/2' visibility depending upon where you are at. Bass fishing is good right now with both ends producing some fish on a number of different techniques. I have been catching a few first thing in the morning on a Rico in the Tennessee shad and John Murray bass color. I have also caught some better size fish on the River2Sea Whopper Plopper 130 in the colors of Munky Butt and Terminator. I have been trying the double buzzbait quite a bit but haven't been real successful yet. water temps might need to heat up just a little more. The frog bite is starting to pick up a bit despite the overall lack of weed mats on the lake. The majority of the frog fish I have been catching have all been in areas where the floating duck weed has gathered together in a corner or pocket creating a little shelf for the bass to get under. I have been using the 2 5/8" Kopper Live Target frog with a nice quiet underhand pitch with no splash. twitch...twitch...boom!

There is also a good jig bite going on all around the lake. In the north end, I have been skipping a 3/8oz jig under docks and in the south end I have been throwing a 1/2oz on rock piles, ledges, and deep docks with crawdad colors working the best. A whacky rigged Senko is a good bait to be throwing on the tule edges and under docks right now. I Have been also catching quite a few fish on a drop shot and Ned rig at all the concrete and metal headwalls all around the lake. I have heard of a few guys getting fish on crank baits and chatter baits as well. Crappie action is fair and they are biting in the morning if you can find them. I had a couple clients catch and release about 18 in a one hour period. We were using a chartreuse pan fish assassin with a sliding bobber. Some giant catfish have been caught recently by fisherman using mackerel, shrimp and night crawlers. Some of the better spots for the catfish have been the bridge at Rodman Slough and also by Rattlesnake island.

The major bass tournaments are all winding down. The lake is full and in beautiful shape. It is a great time to hook up the boat and head up for some hydrotherapy. We will see you guys out on the water.
Good fishing, Troy Bellah
Mitch

Re: Clear Lake Report 6/6/2019

Post by Mitch »

Great info Troy !! I've got to get up there again SOON !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Pat

Re: Clear Lake Report 6/6/2019

Post by Pat »

Thanks Troy, appreciate the detailed info.

Pat