97 Mercury 150 EFI question

H8z2luze

97 Mercury 150 EFI question

Post by H8z2luze »

Just bought a 97 Ranger with a 150 EFI on it. When you key on this motor should it just be a single beep to ensure everything is good to go or on these is it 3 beeps at key on? I ask because I get 3 beeps. It seems like on my old boat which had a 200efi did the same thing but I cant remember for sure. Also it sounds the alarm when I hit the throttle to go. If I ease into it it doesn't sound at all. I ordered some maintenance stuff to make sure its none of that (impeller kit, thermostats, plugs, water separator/fuel filter, Lower unit oil) It seems to run great but I just don't want to keep running it if there is a problem. I was thinking about replacing the oil float just to rule that out. The res. on the engine is full. Thoughts?
fresnoron

Re: 97 Mercury 150 EFI question

Post by fresnoron »

I have a 98 225 EFI...on startup 1 beep about 1 sec long....3 beeps is usually low oil, check upper tank to make sure it is filled with oil
H8z2luze

Post by H8z2luze »

It is full but I've been reading a lot of people saying the float gets saturated over time and sinks. Tomorrow I will take the lid off and make sure the float is secured all the way up and see if it still does it. I also read it has to be like about to over flow full.

Its a longer beep then two short beeps at key on.
hydro

Post by hydro »

If you take the cap off the oil res to verify the float is moving freely and not hanging up you can simply flip it upside down so the float it definitely at the top and turn the key to the "ON" position . If it works 1 beep try it again after flipping over so float down . I have had to change a few of those caps out over the years .
H8z2luze

Post by H8z2luze »

Took the cap off and turned it upside down. It still beeps when you turn the key on. After listening again its actually 4 fast beeps when you key on.

I don't think its the oil sensor because everything I read says it does 4 beeps every few minutes and mine doesn't. Just when you key on. Then when I accelerate hard it will sound as well. That's the only time it goes off. I am wondering if maybe its the TPS or something.
milehi

Post by milehi »

Had I believe the same problem on my old '95 merc 150, replacing the oil cap fixed it for me
H8z2luze

Post by H8z2luze »

Anyone know what this is or why it might be unplugged?
Attachments
058CF5D1-26C3-45EF-BC5F-D9A150063CD5.jpeg
hydro

Post by hydro »

Nothing is usually plugged into that connector . It is plug in for a factory Mercury EFI tester /analyzer . I believe it should plug to that cap right above it with the nylon wire tie .
H8z2luze

Post by H8z2luze »

I figured it plugged into that but it almost looked like it was a breaker or something with reset buttons on top. Maybe they are just rubber plugs to keep crap out. Thanks guys! I changed the lower unit oil, fuel filter and REALLY topped off the on motor oil tank. Going to Bullards Monday I think so we will see what she does.