Looking for Advice On Tourny fishing

Gunny

Looking for Advice On Tourny fishing

Post by Gunny »

Folks,
I have been thinking ( a dangerous thing in my case) that since I spend so much time fishing the Delta and Shasta ( even manage to catch a couple now and then). That maybe fishing some laid back tourneys ( Is there such a thing as laid back tourney?) would be a good thing. I've got the boat brand new Niitro never even been in the water yet, I got me a couple of fishing poles with string and everything on them. Got me a bag full of baits, and God only knows I got the time. So I guess my question is where to start? I do have some physical limitations. I can walk and everything but my legs are paying the price for 30 years in the Marine Corps, and missing that damn "Ducking" class. Who would have thought that was important? Was though! I got the bullets holes to prove that on that "Ducking Class Day" you sure enough need to be there. But other than being pretty slow and no threat at all to win any 100 yd dashes I do OK for an old Marine. I don't even mind traveling some to fish, got me one of them Motor Homes (its brand new too) and need a reason to use the thing.

So the question where and how would a feller get started into this Tournament Fishing thing and still keep everything fun?

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave,with the intention of arriving in one pretty and well preserved piece. But to slide in broadside, throughly used up and worn out shouting "WOW" what a ride.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Looking for Advice On Tourny fishing

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Hey Gunny, where do you live..For the spring, early summer circuit, I would recommend the Future Pro Tournament circuit..For just all around fun, I would go with your local bass club..A lot would depend on where you live..

By the way, thank you for your service..Glad to see some more retirees on the board..

mac

Retired Navy Chief (26 years)
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Chief aka mac

Thanks for the thoughts. I live in Sunnyvale just north of San Jose. Distance is simply not a problem for me at all. Don't mind driving nor getting up early. The Bass Club thing I should have thought of but in reality I wouldn't have a clue where or how to find a Bass Club.

The Future Pro Tournament sounds interesting where could i find more information on this?

Thanks for the flowers coming from a "Harbor Duck" it takes on a whole new meaning.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave,with the intention of arriving in one pretty and well preserved piece. But to slide in broadside, throughly used up and worn out shouting "WOW" what a ride.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Hey Gunny,

I know there are at least a few clubs down that way - Gilroy Bassmasters(?) comes to mind but you should look at the top of this page and click on the "Clubs" link. You should be able to find somthing close by. Also I would recommend the club scene since you will be able to fish with and learn from a variety of people.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
mac (Doyle McEwen)

That's one I haven't heard for a few years, "harbor duck"..No, I don't really qualify for that..I was an airdale..Spent most of my career flying in P-3s chasing subs..

As far as bass clubs go, I think there is one right here in the Santa Clara Valley, I know there is one in Gilroy..There used to be several here around the South Bay area..I was never a member of any of them though, so I can't say for sure that they are still around..

As far as the Future Pro goes, just back through the posts and you should be able to find their info, web site and so forth..

If it were the fall of the year, I would try to talk you into going partners for the Hook, Line and Sinker series on the Delta..

When you get a chance drop me an E-mail at awcmc@sbcglobal.net..

mac
Love2Fish

Post by Love2Fish »

www.futureprotour.net

The first tournament is this Saturday at Lake Berryessa.
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

Hey Gunny, take a look at the Anglers Choice Semi-pro circuit, the fees are less than the Future pro and I think they are more along the lines of what you are looking for ($120) for the team with $10/$20 options it has good pay back. There are 3 circuits Northern Ca/ Delta/ Motherlode. All of the tourney directors are great and with a cost of $75 per person it is realitivley cheap fun. The limits on the amount of money you could have earned in other tournies is alot more conducive to a future/semi pro type of tournament. Just 2 cents, from an EX Army- Ranger !!! Feel free to give me a call at 530-521-8403 cell or 530-589-2601 ....
The only sport besides golf that you can only blame yourself !!!

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
Ron C

The Bass Federation...

Post by Ron C »

gunny

Post by Guest »

I agree with Ron...i think the bass fed is a great place to start. It is a draw type format and you will love it. Buy the way...I own 100% BASS so by recomending the Bass Fed, you know it must be good.
Korny
VFW
MrSkeeter

Re: gunny

Post by MrSkeeter »

One way to start is to join a local club. In the Santa Clara valley, there are several ...

I belong to the BassClassics of Santa Clara and would welcome new members. We fish once per month, 12 months a year ... to find out more info on us, go to:

http://www.geocities.com/bassclassics/about.html
Chris
" ... An adventure is a disaster that fails to kill you. A disaster is an adventure that does ..."
[url=http://www.bassclassics.org]Bass Classics of Santa Clara[/url]
[url=http://5littleones.googlepages.com/index.htm]My Home Page[/url]
BassCatPuma

Re: gunny

Post by BassCatPuma »

Hey Gunny, You might also look into 100% future pro, Bob runs the best tournament circut out there as far as I am concerned. And his payouts are by far the best. These guys have a blast. I will also agree with the statement about the federation.

Tim Hendricks
www.basscat.com
www.powellco.com
www.nosweatmist.com
www.purefishing.com
www.rodwraps.com
RougeBass

Post by RougeBass »

Hey Gunny, My .02 is if you have a partner check out 100% Bass Future Pro. Great bunch of guys to fish with and top notch tournaments. If your going solo definatley check out the federation. I fish both and they are both a really great time. You'll meet alot of great people.

Ex-Search & Rescue USN

PS Hey Mac someone told me once real airplanes have tail hooks??? Just wondering what that was all about?? Just kidding!
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Rouge, you might be right, but I always found that anytime you could land on solid ground rather than a floating island, you were probably better off..Besides, there is almost always a cold beer waiting back on dry land..By the way I spent several years as a crewman aboard helos in and around VietNam, doing the SAR crewman thing..The work could be rewarding, but I could do without the fear factor..

mac
RougeBass

Post by RougeBass »

"I always found that anytime you could land on solid ground rather than a floating island, you were probably better off..Besides, there is almost always a cold beer waiting back on dry land."

That is some information I could have used before I floated away a few times!! I did some times over in Suda Bay Crete and we used to hook up the P3's all the time!
Rob T

Post by Rob T »

Hey Gunny,
I live in Capitola (on the coast, south of Santa Cruz), and drive over to fish the Tracy Bass tourneys, which only allow amateurs/weekend wannabes like me. A great, laid back tourney run by Terry and his wife out of his Marina, Tracy Oasis. I've had lots of fun in it, and everyone's been kind - heck, I've fished that circuit out of my old tin bote and had a blast! If you google tracy oasis, it'll take you to the tourney page. Very casual, but a great learning experience - Steve Sapp helps Terry run the thing periodically.

Good luck, and
God Bless,

Rob T
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Hey Rouge, were you in an HSL outfit..If so maybe you were an AW..I taught at AW"A" in Millington for three years on one of my shore duty assignments..Great fishing around that area, but not really as good as it is out here..

mac
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Folks,

I want to thank all that responded to this post. looks like there are a lot of ways and options for a feller to get started. I have read most of the web pages you folks linked too and will have to make some kind of a choice. As I said there are severeal options. I do not have a partner here hardly know anyone who fishes at all, but maybe some of the solo deals will work out.

Good to see so many retired military guys have taking up this sport, in most places I am the third wheel being a retired Marine, hell here maybe I can fit in.

Thanks again
Gunny
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Gunny, you have already noticed that most of the guys and gals on the site appreciate the military..It seems to me that those that aren't in or out of service, are a lot of policemen and firefighters..

I wouldn't mind going in as a team partner on many of the tournaments..My big problem is that I do not drive so it creates a big problem..If you are interested in getting into some of the team events, please keep me in mind..Got lots of gear, lots of time and am available just about 24 hours a day..Honestly I really want to get out and just fish..

mac
Jeff Jewell

100% Future Pro

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Gunny,
Why don't you pick up ole Mac there and come join us in fishing the 100% Bass Future Pro Tour. You'll have alot of fun and might just make some money too. I made $1530.00 for finishing 2nd place last weekend up at Oroville....
Jeff Jewell
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Mike R

Re: The Bass Federation...

Post by Mike R »

I agree.
TBF Federation is a great way to meet new people. Great circuit and now FLW has it. Even better!!!.
Mike

www.kistlerrods.com
www.purefishing.com
www.edgefishing.com
rons

Post by rons »

Gunny,

I live in San Jose and am a member of the Bassbusters of Santa Clara. We are always looking for new members to fish with. We meet the 1st Thursday of each month at the IHOP at Stevens Creek and Lawrence Expy. at 7:30pm. Please go to our website and check us out. www.bassbusters.com
RougeBass

Post by RougeBass »

I sure was Mac but I was an AO. I went to SAR school right out of A school in Millington. BUt that was in 87.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

All this Navy talk is making me sick!!!!! I am out here doing circles and hitting all these darn ports in Asia and I can't go bass fishing. I have to wait another week before I can pre fish and then the tournament the next day..... It's like winter waiting for the spring except I am stuck in the middle of the ocean!!! HA HA..

I wish our SH-60 would quit again. Too many darn flight quarters and they are taking away from my nap times!

Kevin
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Poor Kevin..About missing your nap time anyway..So have you gotten to do any tourney fishing there in Japan yet, or will this be your first attempt..Good luck to you in either case..Get out there and rip some lips..

mac
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Mac,

I haven't been on the water (lake) since January and the first tourney of the season is this next weekend. I pull back in just in time to go pick my suv up from the garage and string up my poles and pack the gear and leave for a two day trip. 1 day prefish and 1 day of tourney fishing on Lake INBA which is near Narita Airport (Tokyo)

If should be fun. Then I have about 1 a month that I can make due to our busy 2006 Summer schedule.

I will send you a full report when it's over next sunday.

Kevin
mac (Doyle McEwen)

I have flown over that lake numerous times, but never fished there at all..Good luck on your tourney..

mac
Colebass

Korny

Post by Colebass »

Having never fished a fed event, I can't recommend it. But I could recommend your circuit to Gunny. I think it's great that your willing to recommend "another" circuit.
Dave Cole