State meeting on CA fishing ban erupts into chaos. ‘Make fishing great again!’

WB Staff

State meeting on CA fishing ban erupts into chaos. ‘Make fishing great again!’

Post by WB Staff »

california ban.png
Link to audio below.

The California Fish and Game Commission abruptly canceled a teleconference Thursday morning amid cries of “make fishing great again!” and “fascists!” before it could consider authorizing a limited ban on sportfishing in some areas.

Earlier this week, a group of conservative politicians, sheriffs and media outlets told their followers that Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration was planning to outright cancel the fishing season statewide because of COVID-19.

Some rural communities fear too many out-of-town anglers would import the new coronavirus and infect residents. About 1 million licensed anglers regularly fish California’s waterways through the year, making the state one of the country’s most active fishing states.
The intent of the state’s proposed order was more limited, however. The Fish and Game Commission’s teleconference meeting Thursday was supposed to decide whether to give emergency powers to Charlton Bonham, Newsom’s appointee overseeing the Department of Fish and Wildlife, so he could close fishing season in certain areas at the request of local officials.

State officials and participants urged everyone on the line to mute their lines amid the howls of background noise and beeping as dozens called in. One of those who didn’t mute shouted, “I have a right to speak!”

“Fascists!” another said.

“You cancel, we’re just coming back,” another said.

“Let’s make fishing great again!” said another.

“Make a stand! Join the Klan!” said another as the meeting devolved into chaos.

At one point, someone broadcast what sounded like an evangelist’s sermon.

The commission stopped the meeting because members of the five-member board couldn’t get on the line and have a quorum, the majority of members needed to hold a vote.

Full story and audio portion of meeting:

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/outdoors/ ... 86476.html
J Gondal

Re: State meeting on CA fishing ban erupts into chaos. ‘Make fishing great again!’

Post by J Gondal »

ARTICLE I DECLARATION OF RIGHTS [SECTION 1 - SEC. 32] ( Article 1 adopted 1879. )

Section 25.
The people shall have the right to fish upon and from the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water containing fish that have been planted therein by the State; provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season when and the conditions under which the different species of fish may be taken.
(Sec. 25 added Nov. 8, 1910, by A.C.A. 14.
bshort

Re: State meeting on CA fishing ban erupts into chaos. ‘Make fishing great again!’

Post by bshort »

If they move it to a platform like Zoom, they can mute out everyone and let people speak one by one. Those recordings sound like excerpts of trailer park arguments over the loaded meth pipe.
Last edited by bshort on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB67

Post by MarkB67 »

What an embarrassing display ... you could hear voices of reason (Guys calm down ... chill out etc) however mostly just a bunch of morons crying & yelling @ civil servants.

Act that way again and they may just screw us all out of fishing again out of pure spite.
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

this is why we can't have nice things...
Drakestar

Post by Drakestar »

MarkB67 wrote:What an embarrassing display ... you could hear voices of reason (Guys calm down ... chill out etc) however mostly just a bunch of morons crying & yelling @ civil servants.

Act that way again and they may just screw us all out of fishing again out of pure spite.
Agreed. I feel like that display reinforced the worst stereotypes about anglers. I certainly feel like that group of people did not speak for me, and did not represent me. I'm fully opposed to a fishing ban, but that's not what that meeting was discussing in the first place; it was considering closing specific events in specific areas to ensure that local communities wouldn't be overrun like we saw seen (on Marin beaches for example).

What I like about the fishing community is that it does bring together people from all sorts of backgrounds. I'm centrist with a few liberal leanings inherited from growing up in Europe, and I'm not religious. But I've been able to have many interesting and civil discussions with fishermen who lean more conservative than me, or are more religious than me, and it's always been helpful and expanded horizons both ways.

To hear a meeting taken over by people yelling "Make fishing great again!" (an obvious allusion to one side of the political spectrum), calling officials facists (simply not true by definition), yelling "Make a stand! Join the Klan!" (WTF?!) and playing religious sermons is just that - a takeover by a small subset that makes all of us look bad. Really unfortunate.
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

How do you hear the actual meeting?
Sounds very disappointing.
Apparently people are angry.
I have not heard it myself.

It seems to me many of us are missing the fact that they have already shut down access to all our waters in this state with exception of a few.
Just look around people. They are saying they are not meeting to close fishing.
They already have!!!!!
Are we that blind?
The few remaining Open are likely on their list.

So I understand why people are upset.
You can not justify an action with spite
Where are all the civil rights attorneys?
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

My observation on fishing delta this morning: social-distancing-not-t126769.html
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

Couple guys fishing are not going to do any harm unless they are coughing on each other or hugging. My opinion It spreads like a flu
I think we are all a little paranoid.
What about essential people working around others.
Take out food? Grocery store?
I see everyone with gloves at the gas station
I absolutely see social distancing at stores
People are walking WAY around me. Maybe it’s my ugly look.
I think the people are doing a great job at it with the exception of a few.
40 million in Ca. 20,000 known cases. That is
.0005%
Stay safe friends!
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

You think it's bad now keep beating the people down that are in charge of this and you won't be fishing for a very long time. This is going to be over by summer
Another 30 to 60 days won't kill you to stay off the water and stay home. Hell I was bowling between league and tournaments and practice 100 games a week and fishing too. I'm not upset I can't do either now. My lure business is doing just fine and my customers aren't even fishing. Remember keep up the attacks and you won't be fishing for sure anytime soon. This will go away.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
hydrophonix

Post by hydrophonix »

How come all the guys that talk about how socially distant fishing is never mention the gas stations and the snack shops, and the bathrooms and every other place that you want to stop or have to stop at when you go fishing?
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Kwin wrote:this is why we can't have nice things...
this- play by the rules for a few weeks and we'll all be better off
biteme

Post by biteme »

Chris N wrote:
Few weeks here few months there. Yeah sounds great. Mayor of LA said this could go on into the summer. He tweeted it today. Enjoy guys. Just a few weeks, yeah right! It's been what? Over a month now? What's a few more months right? I'm sure the economy will come back after 4 months or so off. Or until the election so they can have mail in voting.

This is only going to get worse. Lots of lawsuits after this is over.
https://youtu.be/iKIbK3eIkFQ
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

hydrophonix wrote:How come all the guys that talk about how socially distant fishing is never mention the gas stations and the snack shops, and the bathrooms and every other place that you want to stop or have to stop at when you go fishing?
They use gloves soap water mask and sanitizer
Same as going to the grocery store.
In my area at least everyone is being very very
Carful. At the boat ramp? I have not been in the water since this shutdown........
I am considered an essential worker so I see it everyday. California is kicking corona ***!!
It’s a very strange time out there.
Luckily I don’t contact people when I work but I do go out and about. I just take all the
precautions.
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

biteme wrote:
Chris N wrote:
Few weeks here few months there. Yeah sounds great. Mayor of LA said this could go on into the summer. He tweeted it today. Enjoy guys. Just a few weeks, yeah right! It's been what? Over a month now? What's a few more months right? I'm sure the economy will come back after 4 months or so off. Or until the election so they can have mail in voting.

So you think we should all just run amok? What's your point? I think we all know this crap isn't going away soon. Sit tight and let's try not to prolong it
biteme

Post by biteme »

Chris N wrote:
biteme wrote:
Chris N wrote:

So you think we should all just run amok? What's your point? I think we all know this crap isn't going away soon. Sit tight and let's try not to prolong it
Omg yes all just run around spitting all over people.
C'mon it's called common sense. Mask, gloves, hand sanitizer, no groups of people.

I haven't been out of the house in two weeks. My immune system sux but going fishing tomorrow before my state gets any big ideas.
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

Stay safe and get some fish!
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

Bite me
The state already got big ideas.
Catch a giant and stay safe.
biteme

Post by biteme »

J Gondal wrote:Bite me
The state already got big ideas.
Catch a giant and stay safe.
Thanks, boat and truck are full and ready to go. I make my own lunch so I don't stop anywhere. No dock but I have a keel guard. I just can't see how I'm risking anyone's life on a 21 ft boat.
hydrophonix

Post by hydrophonix »

J Gondal wrote:
hydrophonix wrote:How come all the guys that talk about how socially distant fishing is never mention the gas stations and the snack shops, and the bathrooms and every other place that you want to stop or have to stop at when you go fishing?
Carful. At the boat ramp? I have not been in the water since this shutdown........
I am considered an essential worker so I see it everyday. California is kicking corona ***!!
Luckily I don’t contact people when I work but I do go out and about. I just take all the
precautions.
If someone spit on the ground and you track it into your boat or truck you now just brought it to your family. If you are asymptomatic and its on your glove that you touch a gas pump with or your money to a cashier or your card in a slot, you have now added to the problem. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of movement to slow transmission. If you haven't personally been tested how can you say its safe for you to go anywhere? You can't, so unless you are going for essentials (which is still a risk, but one that is a must) then you are needlessly risking society at large for a RECREATIONAL activity. Nobody knows if this will mutate and get worse, history tells us it will based on the last pandemic. We would be wise to LEARN from the past instead of testing the unknown when people's lives are at stake. We all know this sucks, but until there is a vaccine humans will have to adjust.
biteme

Post by biteme »

hydrophonix wrote:
J Gondal wrote:
precautions.
If someone spit on the ground and you track it into your boat or truck you now just brought it to your family. If you are asymptomatic and its on your glove that you touch a gas pump with or your money to a cashier or your card in a slot, you have now added to the problem. The whole idea is to reduce the amount of movement to slow transmission. If you haven't personally been tested how can you say its safe for you to go anywhere? You can't, so unless you are going for essentials (which is still a risk, but one that is a must) then you are needlessly risking society at large for a RECREATIONAL activity. Nobody knows if this will mutate and get worse, history tells us it will based on the last pandemic. We would be wise to LEARN from the past instead of testing the unknown when people's lives are at stake. We all know this sucks, but until there is a vaccine humans will have to adjust.
Just got home from fishing. Lake wasn't that crowded.
Didn't have to touch a thing and closest I was to anyone was maybe 200 yards.
Flip flops stay on the porch when I get home then it's straight to the shower.. I still sanitized my hand a few times even though I didn't touch anything but my boat and gear. Didn't use the dock because of the keel guard.

Saw a lot of cops at the lake and on the roads. Got a wave from two of them.

You guys are really over thinking this. Just use some common sense and you'll be fine.

Btw lots of traffic with families doing road trips I guess.

Headed out next week sometime.
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

I think you are right. Over thinking this.
It had many of us rattled
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

There alot of chaos because you'll have to much free time on your hands. You need to relax this will go away soon. :D I relax by going fishing I went yesterday striper and catfishing we saw and talk to 5 other anglers we all caught fish.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Addicted Fisherman

Post by Addicted Fisherman »

I’m an “essential,” worker, I am around more random people at work, then if I went fishing. Have someone monitor the boat ramps for social distancing, use masks, and sanitizer.
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

hydrophonix wrote:
J Gondal wrote:
precautions.

Are you serious?! If someone spit on the ground. I think you have better chances of catching a new world record bass flipping tules with 6 pound test with a banjo minnow at lake nacimento. Get real!!! We take chances everyday. To be reckless is one thing, but if everyone is smart about it and takes precautions while fishing I don’t see anything wrong with it. If my tow vehicle didn’t take a dump I would be on the delta at least a couple times a week. It’s called fishing therapy and I think we all could use it through these tough times. Tight lines fellas!! Just my 2 cents!!!