One lost year might have repercussions that last longer than the virus, both good and bad

WB Staff

One lost year might have repercussions that last longer than the virus, both good and bad

Post by WB Staff »

One lost year might have repercussions that last longer than the virus, both good and bad.jpg
Imagine a world without bass tournaments.

I never thought it would be possible. Even before I started fishing local events 25 years ago, I was aware of them, and as far as I can tell from my admittedly-subjective viewpoint, they’ve only gotten more popular since then.

Now, thanks to COVID-19, the professional tournament scene is on indefinite hold, and while there are a few semi-legit local deals, most smaller tournaments have been canceled or postponed as well.

It’s bizarro world.

Recreational bass fishing pressure still exists, but it’s a fraction of what it otherwise would have been, and doesn’t lead to as many air-conditioned rides in a livewell. I’m definitely not anti-tournament. After all, I fished 15-25 a year until I ran out of time, and I still derive a portion of my income from covering them. Additionally, I see that lakes like Guntersville get ridiculous tournament pressure and continued to hold huge populations of bass. Would they be better without it? Maybe, but what’s the point of a great fishery if you can’t fish it? Nevertheless, this diminution or change in pressure might be a good thing. Giving the bass a “year off” or a “season off” from concerted efforts to catch and relocate them might allow for a bit of a reset.

I’m not a biologist, and...

FUll Story at Inside Line: http://www.insideline.net/peteweighsin/ ... rbies-died
Senkosam

Re: One lost year might have repercussions that last longer than the virus, both good and bad

Post by Senkosam »

I also fished many tournaments for years but became aware more and more of delayed mortality. Too many locals didn't have the right aeration for small livewells and fish ended up dead or dying too much of the time especially in water temperatures near 80 degrees. For smaller lakes this can be devastating. The other thing that bugged me were anglers that tried to include fish that weren't legal by size being off by 1/4" as well as those same anglers that weren't sportsmanlike when it came to their partners (non-boaters by the draw). Politics ruined one club's unity over time until it disbanded. (I still miss the original club and its members.) Even Roland Martin was caught cheating before he retired.

I'm not against tournaments either but if any do a fishery harm or emphasize winning vs sportsmanship and the love of the sport, I'm against it. My current fish & game club established in 1914 never intended that our small lake should be subjected to tournaments where delayed mortalities are never addressed. As of late, the new tournament schedule has increased to 14 from 10 starting in May (one panfish tournament/ the rest bass.) Can't see how they will happen considering the virus. Hopefully common sense will prevail and give the lake and others scheduled a rest.
Kwin

Re: One lost year might have repercussions that last longer than the virus, both good and bad

Post by Kwin »

A year of closure will not "change" or have any appreciable effect upon a bass fishery. San Vicente was closed for about 10 years. After about day 3 following reopening it was the same as every other lake in SoCal.