Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Moderators: MKA, Caudawg, Mike M, ash

ironhavoc
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:08 pm

Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby ironhavoc » Sat May 16, 2020 4:22 pm

I always catch and release Large, smalls, and spots. I have seen people taking and keeping several bass the last few times me and my son went out in our local areas. Today I seen a couple guys keeping 9-10 bass.

We always release them so they can get bigger and be caught again.

So, just wondering if I am in the majority or minority on this?

How many of you guys keep em, and how many catch and release?
Last edited by ironhavoc on Sat May 16, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bass4Money
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Bass4Money » Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm

What's wrong with keeping Bass??

DarWise
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:10 am

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby DarWise » Sat May 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Release here.

User avatar
Kelly Ripa
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 6:39 am
Location: Ojai

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Kelly Ripa » Sat May 16, 2020 4:38 pm

To each his own. I release and have for 40 years but 60 years ago my family ate just about anything we could legally shoot or catch with a rod....oh yeah we gigged frogs with 20 foot bamboo poles with 3 -4 prong spears on the end ....that's different somehow :?:
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!

User avatar
Burke
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 6:59 am
Location: Woodland, CA

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Burke » Sat May 16, 2020 4:51 pm

We release anything bigger than 4 lbs and keep a few of the smaller keeper size bass for eating. We keep all the keeper size stripers.

d75bender
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby d75bender » Sat May 16, 2020 5:25 pm

I release every bass I catch.

Simply because I want the bass there to reproduce and to give someone else the pleasure of catching it later on. Bass in the majority of the lakes or wherever you're fishing normally do not get planted/stocked. In most places I've ever fished other types of fish get planted like trout. The odds of a bass surviving and making it past a minnow, to a couple pounds and bigger is crazy small. Then they would have to deal with me keeping them? No way, I toss them back to hopefully live another day to make more bass and to grow up bigger and be caught again by someone else.

If you like eating fish go after Trout, they get planted and stocked in most lakes. Check out your favorite fishing hole online for "Stocking dates" and do some research online and find out what gets stocked at your local fishing hole. Keep the ones that get stocked, if bass are stocked then I'd never have an issue keeping one. If bass are taking over the lake or wherever then by all means keep a bass. But I've never heard of bass taking over anywhere. I always hear people complaining how hard it is catch them.

I suggest educating yourself about your local fishery and do some research. Watch a video on what it takes and how small the odds are for a bass to get close to 10lbs. It is crazy and will probably change your mind on keeping a bass.

But to each his own, it's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...They're like @#$%^#$#'s everyone's got one.

Javelin Jim
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:28 pm
Location: Riverbank, CA

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Javelin Jim » Sat May 16, 2020 5:41 pm

I practice catch and release when Bass Fishing. They are funner to catch than clean in my opinion. However, I have no problem with people keeping and eating Bass within the legal limit. Some of my fishing partners will occasionally keep fish and I have no problem with that. I just choose to practice catch and release.

BASNFAN
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:54 pm
Location: Davis, Ca

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby BASNFAN » Sat May 16, 2020 6:28 pm

In a whole year, I probably don't keep over 10 bass for eating. If I have a good Fall season and catch a number of stripers and/or salmon, I won't keep any bass the following year. Anyone fishing for bass with me are told they are welcome to keep their limit if they want but I do encourage them not to keep anything over 4 lbs.
Fish bite twice a day - half hour before I get there and half hour after I leave.

Jboutfishn
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 am
Location: State of Jefferson

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Jboutfishn » Sat May 16, 2020 8:04 pm

The last freshwater fish I kept was about a 5 lb rainbow, most likely a plant, on the Owens River 50 years ago. Since then all bass, trout, and steelhead have been returned to the water.

marinerfandave
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:46 am

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby marinerfandave » Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 am

I release everything, this is a sport and if I want to eat fish for dinner I go buy some at Safeway.

Addicted Fisherman
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:23 am

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Addicted Fisherman » Sun May 17, 2020 5:07 am

I release all smallmouth, spots, and
largies. I will keep one striped bass, when I land one, they are exceptional eating. I don’t eat them if they are over five pounds. I have heard spots are pretty tasty, I haven’t tried it. I don’t have any issue, if people keep their
limits, but Seeing the big girls eaten, makes me cringe.

Bass4Money
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Bass4Money » Sun May 17, 2020 8:50 am

Like a couple ppl stated here, I keep some small bass here and there, anything bigger than 3lbs is a no!!! But why do some ppl make it seem like Bass is the holy grail of fishes and that anyone who keeps it is the WORST KIND of fisherman! It is a Legal fish, 5 is the limit, it's your bass you can do whatever you want. If the Bass population is really suffering im sure the rules would change accordingly.

Dave Brabec
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 am

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Dave Brabec » Sun May 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Nothing wrong with eating a few out of clean waterways. I personally think Largemouth are not very good. I keep a few smallies once in awhile and they are good. Cooking trout right now.

JLBassin
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby JLBassin » Sun May 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Release all green bass as i don't find them anything special to eat. Will keep stripers, crappie, and all stocked trout to eat. Release all wild trouts when flying fishing in streams/rivers which I seldom do anymore since moving to California.

mark poulson
Posts: 9734
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 4:16 am
Location: Antioch, CA

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby mark poulson » Sun May 17, 2020 1:16 pm

The problem with catch and release, which I've practiced for 50 years, is that it is highly contagious and crosses species. It spread to my marriages. :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY

d75bender
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby d75bender » Sun May 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Bass4Money wrote:Like a couple ppl stated here, I keep some small bass here and there, anything bigger than 3lbs is a no!!! But why do some ppl make it seem like Bass is the holy grail of fishes and that anyone who keeps it is the WORST KIND of fisherman! It is a Legal fish, 5 is the limit, it's your bass you can do whatever you want. If the Bass population is really suffering im sure the rules would change accordingly.



Actually you're wrong...They don't change the rules accordingly. I've fished many many places especially growing up fishing the ponds in Elk Grove where people would keep anything and everything. We would call them "Bucket" fisherman because everything they caught goes in the bucket. They would completely destroy a pond. I know you're thinking oh well that's just a pond, not true. I also grew up fishing Willow Creek at Lake Natoma and I remember walking the banks and seeing tons of bass and bluegill and the same thing happened there. The bucket fisherman would come and keep everything and I eventually stopped fishing there because the fish were so scarce.

For me and obviously I only speak for myself its because Bass aren't planted/stocked. Other fish are. Watch some videos on youtube what it takes for a bass to make it over a couple pounds. Instead of just assuming the government will set regulations on our fisheries do your own research on Bass and how slim of a chance it is for a bass to get to 10 pounds. How many people do you know that have caught bass over 10+lbs? I know quite a few but I've been bass fishing for over 35 years and the majority of them that have caught a bass over 10lbs has caught just the 1. I'd like to see that change.

Goin'Ike
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Goin'Ike » Sun May 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Always CPR, Catch Picture Release. Chasing those greenie is the most popular outdoor sport. Hate to see the quality size decline. Wish there’s a slot size to keep and bag limit to 12-15”/2 per person for those who want to keep them. I’m just a weekend angler with 8-(5-8lbs) & 1-(11.6). Only fish I keep is a few Striper per year 22-26”. Every other fish species at the supermarket, all clean and ready. 8)

Bass4Money
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Bass4Money » Sun May 17, 2020 7:45 pm

d75bender wrote:
Bass4Money wrote:Like a couple ppl stated here, I keep some small bass here and there, anything bigger than 3lbs is a no!!! But why do some ppl make it seem like Bass is the holy grail of fishes and that anyone who keeps it is the WORST KIND of fisherman! It is a Legal fish, 5 is the limit, it's your bass you can do whatever you want. If the Bass population is really suffering im sure the rules would change accordingly.



Actually you're wrong...They don't change the rules accordingly. I've fished many many places especially growing up fishing the ponds in Elk Grove where people would keep anything and everything. We would call them "Bucket" fisherman because everything they caught goes in the bucket. They would completely destroy a pond. I know you're thinking oh well that's just a pond, not true. I also grew up fishing Willow Creek at Lake Natoma and I remember walking the banks and seeing tons of bass and bluegill and the same thing happened there. The bucket fisherman would come and keep everything and I eventually stopped fishing there because the fish were so scarce.

For me and obviously I only speak for myself its because Bass aren't planted/stocked. Other fish are. Watch some videos on youtube what it takes for a bass to make it over a couple pounds. Instead of just assuming the government will set regulations on our fisheries do your own research on Bass and how slim of a chance it is for a bass to get to 10 pounds. How many people do you know that have caught bass over 10+lbs? I know quite a few but I've been bass fishing for over 35 years and the majority of them that have caught a bass over 10lbs has caught just the 1. I'd like to see that change.

Majority of fish that's being eaten are the dumb/small basses in the first place....A 10 isn't a 10lber for no reason, it has to have everything perfect for a bass to become that big!!!!! The reason you only seen a couple of 10lbers is because the 10lbers are RARE in the first place....It isn't because ppl are eating all the 10s, it has to do with everything, overfishing, changing water levels, predation from other animals, fishing pressure, poor management......your giving too much credit to the "bucket fisherman" they aren't the reason you don't see that many 10s.

d75bender
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby d75bender » Sun May 17, 2020 8:56 pm

[/quote]
Majority of fish that's being eaten are the dumb/small basses in the first place....A 10 isn't a 10lber for no reason, it has to have everything perfect for a bass to become that big!!!!! The reason you only seen a couple of 10lbers is because the 10lbers are RARE in the first place....It isn't because ppl are eating all the 10s, it has to do with everything, overfishing, changing water levels, predation from other animals, fishing pressure, poor management......your giving too much credit to the "bucket fisherman" they aren't the reason you don't see that many 10s.[/quote]


You just perfectly explained my point. You just listed how many reasons why a fish doesn't get to 10lbs...A 10lber is rare, you just said it yourself, if everyone kept small bass there would be less and less bass to grow to 10lbers. You said a 10 isn't a 10lber for no reason...you know they aren't born 10lbs right? When they were small 1lbers I bet a lot of those 10's were in fact caught and released at some point before they were 10lbs. A lot of times a bass learns what not to eat by trying to eat it. You realize how many bass fisherman there are right? Just look at how big Bass Pro shops is, look at the tournament schedules listed on this site. If all bass fisherman felt the same as you and kept the small ones, which have to be legal size so we're not talking 8 inches here, there were would be less and less of a chance for those 1lb keepers to grow into 10lbers, you've got to see that? Why do you think EVERY single bass tournament releases bass? It's not because people don't like to eat fish, they don't give the angler a choice to keep the bass or not...the bass is released and there is a reason for that. You ever wonder why that is?

I fish 1 to 2 times a week all year when the lakes aren't closed. Do you know how many just by myself I'd have in a years time if I kept my 5 fish limit each time I went in 1 year? I'd be taking 260+ bass in a single year if I just went once a week and kept my limit. Now imagine if all bass fisherman did the same to a type of fish that isn't planted. There would be no more bass. Small bass grow to be big bass, If I kept all the bass under 3lbs that I caught to my limit each time I went out and so did all the other bass fisherman...well that would destroy our fisheries for bass fishing.

If man can put whales on an endangered lists in the ocean by over fishing them you don't think man can do that to bass in a lake?

Why do you think there's so much advertisements on "catch and release"? If we want to keep fishing for a species that isn't planted/stocked we as anglers need to do our part to ensure they survive. I do my part by releasing them, if you want to keep them that's your right to. I just want my grandkids to be able to fish for bass like I do. So I do my part as a bass fisherman to release my bass to help the population of small bass grow to be big bass.

I don't think I can explain that any more than I have. You listed perfectly the reasons why a small bass won't get to 10lbs, no need to add a million anglers not releasing bass to the list of why a small bass won't grow to be a 10lber.

Rod Martin
Posts: 2767
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Holiday,Fl.

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Rod Martin » Mon May 18, 2020 4:44 am

Any given body of water will only support so many fish. So taking some fish is good for the fish. Taking to many is bad for the fish.
That being said I am a catch and release fisherman. I love to fish but don't eat Bass, I fish tournaments but do not believe in keeping fish in the live well all day just to try and get a picture of me holding 5 fish with 2 hands.

I would never belittle others for keeping fish even the 10lbers that is their right, as long as they adhere to their states fish and game laws.

I love to way MLF does their tournaments and no fish has to go in the well. I do hope that someday wifi will cover all of America and in boat cameras with good scales will eliminate the need for live wells and give us better pictures of all our big Bass along with making tournaments more of a streaming event.

I will be happy to help eat all the Hushpuppies , fries and Cole slaw that you guys have at a fish fry but no baked fish and no sushi !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
TR177 Ranger Mercury/MK

WRB
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:47 pm
Location: Simi Valley

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby WRB » Mon May 18, 2020 8:05 am

I was active back in the 60's promoting what today is known as catch & release of big adult size bass. I wrote letters to the editor of WON recommending skilled bass anglers release big bass, the response from WON was it's impossible to over harvest bass populations from fishing pressure and readers were more direct I was nuts and should mine my own business. The bass limit back in the 60's was 10 fish.
The height of keep big bass kill your fish was around '68-'69 because anglers thought big bass didn't spawn anymore and ate too many other fish logic. I was releasing a big bass at a local lake on the hands and knees reviving the bass when some jackass pushed me off the dock into the water, he was pissed that I was releasing a big bass! I was pissed and chased the guy back to his car and he locked the doors.
Today the C & R anglers have become a cult like behavior condemning anyone who kills a bass for any reason. The pendulum has swung to the opposite side all bass must be released regardless of hook injuries or size.
Our small lakes have sustainable bass populations that haven't been over harvested because the majority of bass anglers are educated to handle bass so they will survive being caught and practice selective harvest. Anglers who buy a licenses and follow regulations keeping a few fish to eat shouldn't be chastised by anglers who practice C & R of every bass.
Tom

User avatar
Pat
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 7:04 am
Location: Olivehurst, CA

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Pat » Mon May 18, 2020 12:04 pm

I generally catch and release. During times when the water temperature is below 70 I will keep some spotted bass that are under 3 pounds. I use that parameter because that is when the fish are the best eating. I keep Spots because they are so prolific and most of our spotted bass lakes like Shasta, Oroville, Camp Far West and other Foothill and Motherlode lakes really need to have some fish harvested. If the lake you fish has a large population of spotted bass under two pounds consider taking some home, within legal limits of course. They are great eating using a variety of recipes. They make excellent fish tacos! I don't keep largemouth or smallies because those speciess generally do not over populate the way spots do. I try to discourage people from taking these fish especially the bigger ones, but once you catch it it is your fish to do with legally as you please.

Pat

jg
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:56 am
Location: Kingman Az

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby jg » Mon May 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Both. Most of the time release. There are times I want some fresh bass. Two and a half is my size line I will not keep anything bigger than that unless hey are hooked super deep.

Bass4Money
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Bass4Money » Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 pm

d75bender wrote:

Majority of fish that's being eaten are the dumb/small basses in the first place....A 10 isn't a 10lber for no reason, it has to have everything perfect for a bass to become that big!!!!! The reason you only seen a couple of 10lbers is because the 10lbers are RARE in the first place....It isn't because ppl are eating all the 10s, it has to do with everything, overfishing, changing water levels, predation from other animals, fishing pressure, poor management......your giving too much credit to the "bucket fisherman" they aren't the reason you don't see that many 10s.[/quote]


You just perfectly explained my point. You just listed how many reasons why a fish doesn't get to 10lbs...A 10lber is rare, you just said it yourself, if everyone kept small bass there would be less and less bass to grow to 10lbers. You said a 10 isn't a 10lber for no reason...you know they aren't born 10lbs right? When they were small 1lbers I bet a lot of those 10's were in fact caught and released at some point before they were 10lbs. A lot of times a bass learns what not to eat by trying to eat it. You realize how many bass fisherman there are right? Just look at how big Bass Pro shops is, look at the tournament schedules listed on this site. If all bass fisherman felt the same as you and kept the small ones, which have to be legal size so we're not talking 8 inches here, there were would be less and less of a chance for those 1lb keepers to grow into 10lbers, you've got to see that? Why do you think EVERY single bass tournament releases bass? It's not because people don't like to eat fish, they don't give the angler a choice to keep the bass or not...the bass is released and there is a reason for that. You ever wonder why that is?

I fish 1 to 2 times a week all year when the lakes aren't closed. Do you know how many just by myself I'd have in a years time if I kept my 5 fish limit each time I went in 1 year? I'd be taking 260+ bass in a single year if I just went once a week and kept my limit. Now imagine if all bass fisherman did the same to a type of fish that isn't planted. There would be no more bass. Small bass grow to be big bass, If I kept all the bass under 3lbs that I caught to my limit each time I went out and so did all the other bass fisherman...well that would destroy our fisheries for bass fishing.

If man can put whales on an endangered lists in the ocean by over fishing them you don't think man can do that to bass in a lake?

Why do you think there's so much advertisements on "catch and release"? If we want to keep fishing for a species that isn't planted/stocked we as anglers need to do our part to ensure they survive. I do my part by releasing them, if you want to keep them that's your right to. I just want my grandkids to be able to fish for bass like I do. So I do my part as a bass fisherman to release my bass to help the population of small bass grow to be big bass.

I don't think I can explain that any more than I have. You listed perfectly the reasons why a small bass won't get to 10lbs, no need to add a million anglers not releasing bass to the list of why a small bass won't grow to be a 10lber.[/quote]

First of all I support catching and releasing and on occasions I'll keep some of my catch yet you want to categorized me as keeping all my fish??? Mad??? Apparently you have it stuck in your mind that all the damage is done by the ppl keeping the fishes...... do you not understand that fishermans are but a small part in the fishing ecosystem??? You yourself when fishing is hurting the bass population, you don't think your killing a bass every now and than accidentally??? Since you fish every week than your chances of hurting and killing a bass increases!!!! Yet it's not your fault cause you catch and release everything even dead bass.....but you have the right to attack other ppl who actually EAT the fish instead of playing with the fish...........AGAIN The reason for a decline in Bass population has to do with everything.... EVERYTHING...........Environment, Fishing pressure, Changing water levels, Bed fishing, Predation,
overfishing, tournaments, EVERYTHING , plays a role in downward bass population..... but with your state of mind it's only because of the people who keep the fish and that's not the whole story.......
And theoritcally if you did decide to keep your limit Everytime you fish that's illegal, cause you can only keep 5 in your possession. You'd have to eat them first, before you can keep more.....As for the ppl that's keeping all of them that's illegal, report them, call dfg, do your part in letting the authority know. But just learn the whole story before you point the finger at ppl ok

Drakestar
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Drakestar » Tue May 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Always C&R here, because I want the fish to still be there tomorrow and keep the sport alive. I understand that CA has a legal limit of 5 black bass/day, so it's hard to fault somebody who takes them. But in my mind they're negatively affecting the sport, so I don't like it.

The negative side effect is that I don't want to share my knowledge as freely as I would otherwise, and I think that's bad for the community. (Not talking about enthusiast boards like this one, it's easier to share freely here because there's a baseline trust here that members respect the fish.) I don't want to accidentally teach a horde of bucket fishermen how to deplete my local lakes, though. I.e.: the reservoir I've been fishing used to have a giant redear population until bucket fishermen destroyed it.

fishndp
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:56 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby fishndp » Wed May 20, 2020 6:28 am

C&R with bass. Years ago had a bass that was a bleeder so I cooked it to give it a try, not my cup of tea...stripers are the only ones I found that taste good.
But to each their own. :?
Have to say when I frequented McClure I noticed a big difference in the fish quality within a few years after the slot limit was removed. So that says something....

WRB
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:47 pm
Location: Simi Valley

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby WRB » Wed May 20, 2020 10:28 am

fishndp wrote:C&R with bass. Years ago had a bass that was a bleeder so I cooked it to give it a try, not my cup of tea...stripers are the only ones I found that taste good.
But to each their own. :?
Have to say when I frequented McClure I noticed a big difference in the fish quality within a few years after the slot limit was removed. So that says something....

Stripe bass should be arch & fillet!
Tom

biteme
Posts: 2421
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:01 am

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby biteme » Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Release always, I don't even like to box em anymore.

birdman920
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby birdman920 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:32 pm

Catch & release!.... but I don’t mind anyone keeping there limit to eat !... it’s the stupid knuckle heads” who pack them around all day ‘ in there livewells ‘ then hold up 5 fish at a time for a photo !.. fingers thru the gills, dropping fish on the carpet! , by the time they get the pic “ the fish are half dead !...& chances of survival are slim !....

Bass4Money
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Bass4Money » Sat May 23, 2020 5:43 pm

birdman920 wrote:Catch & release!.... but I don’t mind anyone keeping there limit to eat !... it’s the stupid knuckle heads” who pack them around all day ‘ in there livewells ‘ then hold up 5 fish at a time for a photo !.. fingers thru the gills, dropping fish on the carpet! , by the time they get the pic “ the fish are half dead !...& chances of survival are slim !....

100% AGREE!!!!

User avatar
Steve
Posts: 928
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: Sacramento area

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Steve » Sun May 24, 2020 1:52 pm

The concept of "if I let it grow it will get bigger" is untrue, sort of. Every system is different, and "one size doesnt fit all". The biggest problem facing warmwater fisheries managers and quality fisheries these days across the country is stunted populations. This is the direct result of the ingrained 100 % catch and release mantra of bass fishermen, which started somewhere in the 70's thanks to B.A.S.S. In stunted systems, if you keep that fish then you will catch bigger fish in the future. However, in those systems having a well balanced bass and prey population structure, overharvest can contribute to declines. Yes, we know there are many other factors involved, but in general this is how it works.

Selective harvest is the new mantra, and by understanding this and implementing this, bass fishermen can assist managers provide quality fisheries. The best tool a manager has is fishermen. Know the lakes you fish and harvest accordingly.

Not sure why people think that since bass arent planted then there could be a problem with harvest. This seems to be a belief by many western anglers, I dont think Ive ever heard an eastern angler say this. Bass reproduce naturally just fine, no need to plant. In addition, the smaller the lake the less it can handle high harvest, especially high harvest of the larger fish.

Its all about selective harvest.

biteme
Posts: 2421
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:01 am

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby biteme » Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Steve wrote:The concept of "if I let it grow it will get bigger" is untrue, sort of. Every system is different, and "one size doesnt fit all". The biggest problem facing warmwater fisheries managers and quality fisheries these days across the country is stunted populations. This is the direct result of the ingrained 100 % catch and release mantra of bass fishermen, which started somewhere in the 70's thanks to B.A.S.S. In stunted systems, if you keep that fish then you will catch bigger fish in the future. However, in those systems having a well balanced bass and prey population structure, overharvest can contribute to declines. Yes, we know there are many other factors involved, but in general this is how it works.

Selective harvest is the new mantra, and by understanding this and implementing this, bass fishermen can assist managers provide quality fisheries. The best tool a manager has is fishermen. Know the lakes you fish and harvest accordingly.

Not sure why people think that since bass arent planted then there could be a problem with harvest. This seems to be a belief by many western anglers, I dont think Ive ever heard an eastern angler say this. Bass reproduce naturally just fine, no need to plant. In addition, the smaller the lake the less it can handle high harvest, especially high harvest of the larger fish.

Its all about selective harvest.


How many bass do you think die during tournaments? Take a lake like CL and all the tournaments on that lake. Now think about the fish that die in each one.

I'd say the harvest is being done each tournament.

User avatar
Pat
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 7:04 am
Location: Olivehurst, CA

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby Pat » Mon May 25, 2020 11:43 am

biteme wrote:
Steve wrote:The concept of "if I let it grow it will get bigger" is untrue, sort of. Every system is different, and "one size doesnt fit all". The biggest problem facing warmwater fisheries managers and quality fisheries these days across the country is stunted populations. This is the direct result of the ingrained 100 % catch and release mantra of bass fishermen, which started somewhere in the 70's thanks to B.A.S.S. In stunted systems, if you keep that fish then you will catch bigger fish in the future. However, in those systems having a well balanced bass and prey population structure, overharvest can contribute to declines. Yes, we know there are many other factors involved, but in general this is how it works.

Selective harvest is the new mantra, and by understanding this and implementing this, bass fishermen can assist managers provide quality fisheries. The best tool a manager has is fishermen. Know the lakes you fish and harvest accordingly.

Not sure why people think that since bass arent planted then there could be a problem with harvest. This seems to be a belief by many western anglers, I dont think Ive ever heard an eastern angler say this. Bass reproduce naturally just fine, no need to plant. In addition, the smaller the lake the less it can handle high harvest, especially high harvest of the larger fish.

Its all about selective harvest.


How many bass do you think die during tournaments? Take a lake like CL and all the tournaments on that lake. Now think about the fish that die in each one.

I'd say the harvest is being done each tournament.


I totally agree with both of you, selective harvest is the key. As I said earlier, especially in lakes dominated by spotted bass. I would not eat fish from Clear Lake anyway, so no danger of me keeping them from there!

spoolnaround
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby spoolnaround » Tue May 26, 2020 5:19 am

Bass make great tacos, with that said I have probably kept a dozen black bass in the last 20 years. If I catch a striper or white bass its in cooler. Pan fish go back too.

WRB
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:47 pm
Location: Simi Valley

Re: Releaser or Keeper? Which are you?

Postby WRB » Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 pm

California is one of the few states that doesn't manage Black Bass populations beyond initial stocking. It's been this way since I can remember and I'am old! Back in the 50's California has fishing seasons where bass fishing wasn't permitted, opening day was June 1st, trout May 1st, fishing closed Oct31st. Be glad we no longer have bass fishing season.
The reasons bass are not stocked beyond the initial introduction is they are considered a sustainable resource. Our over all state population has more then tripled since the fishing seasons ended.
More people equals equals more anglers fishing year around, yet the DFW stand bye thier sustainable bass fishery program. The only exception to stocking bass came when Orville Ball lobbied to get Floruda strain LMB introduced to San Diego city lakes to improve the catch rate per man hour fished. The FLMB program failed, they strain proved to be more difficult to catch lowering the anglers success rates. No more FLMB from Florida being transplanted. All FLMB in California are from the initial 1959 bass from San Diego city lakes. The vigor of the pure Florida bass has dwindled and needs a spark of fresh genes.
What does this have to do with C & R vs Selective Harvest? FLMB strains are wide spread and far more difficult to catch with angling pressure alone will not be over harvest the bass population with the mix of C & R anglers and harvest anglers. I hate to admit the DFW is basically right with thier sustainable population program, I just wish they managed it better?
Regarding small bass growing to be big bass is only true for female bass, males rarely exceed 3 lbs as old adults.
Bass tournament mortality rate is about 3% or 3 out of a hundred brought to be weighed in.
Tom


Return to “Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests