Shimano Scorpion MGL 151XG Adjustment

Doctorv

Shimano Scorpion MGL 151XG Adjustment

Post by Doctorv »

Hi all.

First post - not new to fishing, new to this forum.
I tried my brand new Shimano Scorpion JDM today and I have a feeling something was seriously off with adjustments or my setup. These reels are notorious for super long casting but mine was anything but... I am a Daiwa guy - had multiple Daiwa baitcasters over the years and this Shimano was hands down inferior to all three I had with me today.

The reel is pared with St Croix Mojo Bass 7 footer rated for up to 17 mono lb line and up to 3/4 lure. I spooled the reel with 30 lb braid and I was casting a 1/2 chatterbait with a trailer. Should be flying like a bullet, right? Nope. I ended up turning all breaks off and during casts I literally saw the spool stopping while the lure had tons of momentum and tried to fly further. It also was making squeaking sounds unlike my other reels. And I attempted to release the tension knob as much as I could lest it begins birdnesting.

Now when I unboxed it everything was in perfect order and when the tension knob wasn’t tight the spool wouldn’t stop forever. Like no friction at all, silky smooth.

Could it be that braid was a bad choice? I plan to try a 12 lb mono tomorrow just to see if it changes anything. Something was fishy (no pun intended) about that braid and the way it behaved on the spool.

Ok, I am done with the rant.
Thank you all in advance for your input.

Take care,
Val
DanIsaac

Re: Shimano Scorpion MGL 151XG Adjustment

Post by DanIsaac »

Not the reel......adjustments are off!
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com