When is a tournament over?

rickd

When is a tournament over?

Post by rickd »

I think that it's over when the results are posted where folks can see where they placed. Take a look how John Brossard does his Clear Lake tournies, everyone knows where they're at from Clear Lake to China on day one, not day 4 way after things are wrapped up and folks are back with their families.

Not finger pointing any trail, just want the general community to show that there is a request to know where there weights were and how well their patterns payed off.

If you need help in posting data just say I need help, it's not difficult to post html code. There are a bunch of guys that can take your data and post it on your site.

Why does it take so long to post results?
Fast 492

Re: When is a tournament over?

Post by Fast 492 »

Exactly, dead on the head, I have offered my services (FREE) and couldn't even get a return e-mail....
The only sport besides golf that you can only blame yourself !!!

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Most tournament orgs, are traveling roads shows. These orgs do not have the equiptment to provide every TD in their org the tools to be capable of posting their results with-in hours of their events. Most team events are still run manually and entered into the computer databases the following day. They must then foward this information to their webmasters, who typically have a life of their own and are not dedicated to one specific job, that being providing the data as it happens. I am sure there are other reasons I've overlooked. It's real easy when ya have the resources like an FLW or BASS, or in the case of John's event where it's a big, one day specialty event on your local pond.

1-2 days is perfectly acceptable under these conditions in my mind, and many of the orgs are doing this. For those who don't, well we got choices we can make if this is that important to us as tournament anglers living in this high tech world. Not everyone lives in that same world, and as is typical with all walks of life, not everyone takes advantage, to the fullest, of todays technology.
Scott V.

Post by Scott V. »

It wasn't that long ago that we had to wait for the monthly newsletter to show up in the mail at the house before we knew the standings.
Scott V.
John Barron

Cooch was right on

Post by John Barron »

Cooch pretty much said it. We are a traveling show and don't always have access to the internet. sTony, Cooch, Nico and Gator really take care of me. When I send them my results and they get them up on the website fast. I try to post my results on the forums as soon as I get access to the internet. I will generally at least post the results of the tournament and within a couple of days get the Year to Date Standings up. That is not always possible though.
This year is particularly tough for me. I have back to back tournaments in NorCal and SoCal several times this year so it will be impossible at times. For instance I have a tournament at Santa Margarita in San Luis Obispo County on Saturday April the 22nd. I have to pack up and hit the road to be at Diamond Valley in Riverside (a six hour drive) on the 23rd. I will get home in time to take a shower kiss my wife hello and good bye and get to the lake for sign ups. When will I get the results up, most likely not until Sunday night when I get home. And at that it will be late so I may not get them up until Monday morning.
The TD's I do know try their best to get the results up as quick as they can.
John Barron
Tournament director
National Bass West
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

First, When is a tournament over? I have always heard it is when you weigh your fish at the weigh-in. As for how long it takes for results to be posted, etc. Cooch said it very well. It just depends on when and where the listing have to go to be posted. Now if someone is really in need of instant results, I would say stick around write down the results and post it as soon as you, or whoever is taking down the info can do so. In otherwords beat the TD to the punch, so to speak. Just make sure you get it the information accurate so there is no mixup. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
John Barron

Post by John Barron »

You're right Bill K The tournament is over when the weighmaster says "the scales are closed" That's the official end of the tournament. The rest is figuring results, payouts and awards.
jb
rickd

Post by rickd »

Thanks, being a computer geek by trade I forget that there are folks with the lack of time or savvy to get results up quick.

I get antsy to see how we did overall.

Thanks again.
Tornado Dave

Post by Tornado Dave »

Actually, posting the day's results is the easy part and that really could and should be done as soon as possible.

The hard part is consolidating the trail standings for the year in team tournaments. I tried this and it takes some time because you have people switching partners, partners are switching roles of boater/nonboater from tournament to tournament and you have to investigate to get the team standings correct.

While there are some simple fixes to speed the processes, they are rarely used.

It's still a changing world.

TD