New melones info

nate50

New melones info

Post by nate50 »

Hey everyone, I’m planning on heading to new melones this week and haven’t been there since early spring. Can anyone give me any lake info? Water temp/clarity... have the fished gone deep yet or can they still be found chasing bait in the shallows. A starting point would be awesome thanks in advance
BAble

Re: New melones info

Post by BAble »

If you find Shad try a spoon. We found a decent jig bite last Saturday with fish in 30’-45’.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I was there on Saturday. There were bait balls all over the lake in the 30-60' range but nothing was feeding on them. Partner and I fished mainly in 15-50' of water with neko rigs and drop shots for around 25 fish with no size to speak of.
If you can't find active bait balls then the fishing stinks. There's trout feeding on the surface so have a rod ready with your favorite trout lure tied on.
The water is clear with temps around 55 degrees.
nate50

Post by nate50 »

Thanks guys, how was the water level?
Richard - Sonora

Post by Richard - Sonora »

launching now on second ramp
nate50

Post by nate50 »

I wanted to follow up with a little report.... I was out there on Monday and fished pretty much sun up to sun down. My partner and I put together a limit for about 9-10lbs so nothing to brag about. We caught them early on main lake points in about 20ft then we couldn’t buy a bite till the evening. We also lost the graphs, dang battery went bad, in the middle part of the day. I feel like we could have put some more fish in the boat with the use of the graphs. In the evening probably 3 till dark, we fished just past the first bridge and found fish shallow on the wood. We would cast to the shoreline wood and work the bait back the bites would come a foot or 2 off the shore. The baits that produced for us where shakey head in MM and drop shot in a shad pattern. Hope this helps anyone that’s headed out.