Christmas present, topwater lunkers...

Otay Michael

Christmas present, topwater lunkers...

Post by Otay Michael »

After the stripe at Otay last Wed., couldn't wait to get out to El Capitan for redemption. Met new backseater buddy William Campbel at the ramp, and we ran to the back to start. For some reason, an old post popped up on some social media (from last Jan.) the day before, and it showed my holding up a small bass caught on a gunfish. IDEA: Seems like a bad idea, but if it worked in Jan., it might darn well work in Dec.

So, since I still had it on one of my rigs, and after telling Bill of my plans, I tossed it shallow next to some boulders. Third cast, WHAMMO BAMMO, a lunker exploded on it and fought like crazy. Bill kept saying "Careful. don't lose it, lots of rocks and brush down there". Especially once we saw her come up and show her size, then go back down, twice. He got the net and did a great job of helping me land her. A lot of screams went up from me and high-fiving all around. Luck? Maybe, but two cast later, WHAMMO, a bit smaller, but now it's a pattern, right.

Got into some JB fish a bit later. Beautiful day, a little chilly, but not as bad as last week. Almost got double limits, a few minutes more of the day an area we found at dusk really turned on, should, woulda, coulda.

Thank U Lord.
Speaking of which, don't forget the reason for the season.
Merry Christmas fellow fishermen.
May 2021 prove to be a much more safe, and prosperous, new year...
AND may your bait-balls hold catch-able fish! ;/)

Water started at 52.5, warmed nicely as the day progressed. Nice thing my backseater reminded me, the days are starting to get longer again, we've turned the corner, and I was ecstatic to hear that, it's so nice to know warmer weather is coming, as is spring, then topwater can really take off, TUL.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.