Power head rebuild

mrheuby

Power head rebuild

Post by mrheuby »

Looking into having a power head rebuild on a Yamaha 2 stroke. Looks like you can no longer get them from the factory. If someone knows of anyone rebuilding them in the Vacaville or Sacramento area any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
Trumpster

Re: Power head rebuild

Post by Trumpster »

I don't believe you will be able to find anyone to rebuild an older motor. I have done a number of them and it is so time consuming that a shop can't make any money doing it. I have rebuilt a large variety of motors....small and large and without a doubt a marine motor is the most time consuming.

You can buy rebuilt powerheads but most if not all of the shops won't even work on a motor that is older. If you want to go that route and can't find anyone to install a powerhead send me a pm.
Andrew5414

Post by Andrew5414 »

Gerry Johnson out of Modesto rebuilds them, I have heard awesome things about his work, I have a lot of buddies in the tournament field that use him for rebuilds and other maintenance issues, pretty sure he offers a one year warrenty on his powerheads also, I know at least for his Mercury’s he does. He is floating around in the classified right now I believe he’s got a post with a ranger for sale u might be able to contact him GerJohn is his profile name. Hope this helps.
Csuhchris

Post by Csuhchris »

I’m having Bryan from Waterworks Marine in Marysville work on my 1982 Mercury. Funny, because Lyle Gossett from Clear Lake told me the motor was toasts as two cylinders had no spark and low compression. After a few YouTube videos I was able to get spark after changing the switch box and replacing stator and trigger wires. Bryan is working on the aspects of the motor above my skill set. I’ve had great communication and updates on work thus far!
StanL

Post by StanL »

Gerry Jonson x2
christopherstellar

Post by christopherstellar »

Gerry x3, just had my Optimax rebuilt and it works flawlessly. Plus he’s a super nice guy
mrheuby

Post by mrheuby »

Thanks for everyone's input much appreciated