Mega Live Imaging?

Bassjunkie17

Mega Live Imaging?

Post by Bassjunkie17 »

I'm in the market for a Garmin Livescope and wondering if i should wait for Mega live to release?
I can't imagine HB getting everything right the first time.

Also, they say wait for competitors release so prices would drop. I've been watching the panoptix since the beginning, did not see it drop, also didn't see the HB 360 drop either.
The only time it drops that I've seen is when the company itself releases something new.

What are your guys thoughts on this?
I'm leaning towards the tried and true garmin, but would hate to buy it now and then the price drops a month later.

Or worse yet, i buy the garmin now and HB knocks it out of the park for the same price.

Thanks for any input!
Pat

Re: Mega Live Imaging?

Post by Pat »

I am having the same thought process. Big factor for me is that I already have Humminbird graphs that will be compatible with Mega Live. My decision will be whether to go with Mega Live or Mega 360. In any case, I will be waiting for Mega Live to be released before I decide. Here is a link to info on the Mega Live

https://postimg.cc/w3cvTdBL

Also consider that Lowrance now has similar live technology that is very close to Garmin's. Check YouTube for comparisons.
Bassjunkie17

Post by Bassjunkie17 »

The lowrances on my boat don't support the active, so i will have to buy a whole new set up, so branching out.

I really am leaning towards the Garmin, i don't think the price will drop, at least not until they release the 3D.

And thanks for the link, i really wish they would release some images.
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

I have been running HB graphs for about 10 years now and have always stayed 1 generation behind the latest to help with cost and any bugs the new stuff might have. It's worked out fairly well as I have been able to upgrade to larger graphs and had pretty reliable units for the most part. However, with technology changing so fast, all of the manufacturers have had to keep up with whatever the other guys come out with. So if you wait, you get left behind!

I have the MEGA 360 and it's a great tool for finding structure and understanding what is around you. I will also add the MEGA Live imaging once it comes out but will most likely wait until the first round of them get into guys hands and we start to learn a little about them. Hopefully we don't have what happened with the M360 due to COVID and have delays in manufacturing and them being back ordered for months! The one thing I've learned about HB is their hardware is usually very good, but the software lags behind...so if there is a bug, it can take them some time to get it fixed.

As far as the differences with the Live stuff, I have seen the Garmin in person and watched some of the videos with both Garmin and Lowrance. They are both really good at what they do and very similar. I don't think HB coming out with their version of Live will change Garmin or Lowrance pricing structure much - unless HB is way better, then you will see the others scramble to catch up! I do believe the HB MEGA LIVE will offer a little more based on the technology they are using and the fact that they all learn from each other and make it better - look at how both Garmin and Lowrance have advanced the trolling motors. Minn Kota will be coming out with newer versions of the Ultrex at some point to stay competitive.

Sorry for the long post, but my suggestion would be to buy the Live version that works best with graphs you already have and are familiar with. If you have to buy new graphs to make it work, that will really increase the amount you have to spend! If you already have a particular brand of graph that will work with the Live technology, and are familiar with them, stick with their version of Live.

Hope that helps some! 8)
Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team