Jerkbaits

Justin Hawkins

Jerkbaits

Post by Justin Hawkins »

I’m starting to throw jerkbaits this year, just an element I’ve not really done in the past. I bought a few vision 110’s, pointers and rerange baits, I’ve hooked 3 in the last two outings but have lost all three. I’m using a Kistler klx 7’0 medium-medium heavy rod, sort of like an mbr style rod. Am I the subject of bad luck or can someone give me some advice on how to land these suckers. Thanks
RJB

Re: Jerkbaits

Post by RJB »

Rod your using prolly has too stiff of a tip to it. Try a diff rod with a fast tip and you shouldn’t loose them.
Angler Waki

Post by Angler Waki »

Hello,

This is just my opinion. A regular action rod may be better for jerkbait. I used to use Helium3 (6 feet/Ex-fast) for jerkbait and had a same situation. At that time, I changed my line to Monofilament line and it was working like a shock absorber a bit improved the catching rate. But I ended up changing all my Jerkbait tackles to a fast-regular action rod and now I don't have any problem.

And I always remove the original MEGABASS Katsuage out barb hooks on Vision 110 and put Gamakatsu on them.
Bass4Money

Post by Bass4Money »

Like the post above says, GET RID OF THOSE STOCK HOOKS, THEIR GARBAGE!!!!!
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

Drag and a whimpy rod. I prefer 6’8-6’10 depending on your distance to the water and your height.
Let em take it, the last treble will eventually hook their side in the fight.
Trowing soft jerkbaits I still let em take it but set the drag tighter and.. hookset that monster!
Hogbassing

Post by Hogbassing »

Light drag and glass rod preferred MH. Still need some rod to move the bait. No hook set needed. They will set the hooks them selves. Check your hooks offen. Buy a hook sharpener.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Check out the Dobyns Champion 704CB. You need a moderate fast action rod. Not Fast
Dobyns Rods