Delta Fishing Week of May 14

WB Staff

Delta Fishing Week of May 14

Post by WB Staff »

IMG_0510.jpg
Donny in Oakley

Report: Hit the water in the afternoon for some after work action. The wind was howling out of the west and there was a high incoming tide. Started off with reaction baits in the front of the boat and shaking worms in the back. Noticed the water color was getting dirtier as the water came up and the wind continued to blow. Needed to make a move to where there was less water flow and a more protected area, so went into the Central Delta.

Stuck to reactions baits, but no go. Picked up a flippin' stick and went to work.Water color wasn't any better and what I thought was protected was blown out.

Moved again to a south facing bank, again hoping for some wind protection. It was a little better. Flipped D-Bombs and threw a dropshot to get a few around the hydrilla. Nothing too big. They came out of 3ft.

No matter how many years or decades you've spent on the Delta, if you're not in tune, it can be a new lesson every time... or maybe it's just me.
marinerfandave

Re: Delta Fishing Week of May 14

Post by marinerfandave »

Great post and thanks for sharing, a good reminder why it's called fishing and not "catching"! I was up at Clear Lake early last week with a guide whom I've had great success with for several years, it was extremely slow and the fish just weren't cooperating, every outing as you say is a new learning opportunity.