Why don't we have a tournament format like the kayak anglers?

cww300

Why don't we have a tournament format like the kayak anglers?

Post by cww300 »

Seems like it would be a good idea to use bump boards, like in the kayak tournaments. Full eight hour tournaments could be ran in the hot summer months with less stress on fish. It would shake things up in the Mother lode lakes as well, certain swimbait guys would not dominate near as much. I could see boat traffic with pleasure boaters being a problem, but it would make things interesting. Just interested in tournaments anglers opinions.
Whoopbass

Re: Why don't we have a tournament format like the kayak anglers?

Post by Whoopbass »

I couldn't see it drawing that many boats because it would be a pain in the rear. I wouldn't enter one.
If you're in a kayak its really the only option so they have to do it.
steve 101

Post by steve 101 »

We started using a system similar to bump boards in a 20 member small bass club 30 years ago. It was before smart phones so we used a punch card system to record the fish length. Your co-angler would verify the measurement. You turned in your best 5 measurements. If you where solo than you would well up your fish until you ran across another participant to verify your catch. It worked well for our club. It could work in the smaller tournaments, as for the larger ones I'm not sure. But in the summer months it would be better for the fish.
Jace D

Post by Jace D »

cww300 wrote:Seems like it would be a good idea to use bump boards, like in the kayak tournaments. Full eight hour tournaments could be ran in the hot summer months with less stress on fish. It would shake things up in the Mother lode lakes as well, certain swimbait guys would not dominate near as much. I could see boat traffic with pleasure boaters being a problem, but it would make things interesting. Just interested in tournaments anglers opinions.
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. It would be cool to be able to fish multiple tournaments in one day and be able to submit your catch for all of them like the kayak guys do.
The point about the swimbait guys not dominating is not really true though. The guys who know how to use big swimbaits effectively in tourneys will always be tough to beat. Guys that can do that are generally good fishermen anyway and hang around the top of the leaderboard even without getting a swimbait fish. Especially in the mother lode, the guys that are good with swimbaits are also the best all around fishermen at those lakes. They just know how to use the best tools to get big fish consistently. Bottom line, if more guys learned how to use big swimbaits in tourneys and trusted it, they’d win a lot more. And not just in the Motherlode.
Jim Wilson

Post by Jim Wilson »

Steve 101, our club used the golden rule. Wasn’t perfect but for a club tournament, it was good enough.
Jim
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

steve 101 wrote:We started using a system similar to bump boards in a 20 member small bass club 30 years ago. It was before smart phones so we used a punch card system to record the fish length. Your co-angler would verify the measurement. You turned in your best 5 measurements. If you where solo than you would well up your fish until you ran across another participant to verify your catch. It worked well for our club. It could work in the smaller tournaments, as for the larger ones I'm not sure. But in the summer months it would be better for the fish.
Wasn't Centennial Bass Club form Fort Collins Colorado was it?